The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Soldato
Been at the screen for 8 hours with only the occassional break. I started the series at 6pm and just finished it all at 2am. Madness. Absolutely brilliant, brought tears to my eyes more than a few times. Anya Taylor-joy is both beautiful and a very charismatic actress. The music throughout is great as well.

Soldato
I enjoyed it, although I think it was a little predictable and formulaic, but done well.

I'd be really surprised if there's a second season.

I didin't realise until I read through again and someone mentioned Bobby Fischer's a real chess player. How much of this is based on real events? I assume just some of the names?

Soldato
I enjoyed it, although I think it was a little predictable and formulaic, but done well.

I didin't realise until I read through again and someone mentioned Bobby Fischer's a real chess player. How much of this is based on real events? I assume just some of the names?

The simultaneous playing of multiple games is based on real events. Watch this from the reigning world champion from Norway. It's unbelievable.

Associate

yeah basically just the names. a few like spassky (fischers rival anf worl champ) are mentioned. Some of the matches are based on historical matches i think but speed up a lot for the TV. Most of the time you cant really follow whats happening because they cut away a lot and play at stupid base but its detail carried over from the book apparently.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Very good. Was better than I expected. Quite believable with the plays, mainline and sequences. Story was good too. Probably the best chess themed TV series or.movie I have ever watched.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Fantastic! Really enjoyed it and I imagine there's a lot of cool nods to niche chess plays and things like that if you love the game. Felt it was a little flabby towards the end however and might have benefited from the screenplay being trimmed down a little. Was also a touch formulaic but it was all presented so neatly that you can forgive it almost anything.

Back
Top Bottom