• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is anyone else thinking about giving up on GPUs for a few months?

Associate
I want a 6800xt. But it feels not even with trying. Nothing is in stock. Scalpers are everywhere. It just feels like it won't be possible. That there's no point even trying.

Am I alone in feeling like this?

Associate
Chin up. I think it's best not to get locked into a pre-order but to keep your eye open for the odd bits of stock that show up. Some online stores don't gouge too much.

Associate
The thing about log jams like this is that there's an intense period of time at the start where everyone wants everything right away and there's scalping and botting and all that stuff, but pretty quickly things return to normal, stock will pile in and it'll be back to normal. But it's probably going to be a few more months yet, at least for the 3080 and what I suspect will be an equal amount of suffering for the 6800XTs. We're already seeing light at the end of the tunnel for the 3090s, actual live stock is now available in a number of places. Things will flip from what seems like very bad to pretty good on a dime.

Associate
don't pay for something that doesn't have a delivery date.

don't get worked up on stuff that is unavailable and out of stock.

don't pay over the rrp just to have it now.

Man of Honour
I refuse to play the pre-order game, I've got the money sitting here doing nothing but I refuse to pay more than £550 for a 3070 or £750 for a 3080 - closer to the MSRP better but for the right card I'd pay that kind of amount.

I actually have a need for an Ampere card for stuff I'm doing right now but I'm not gonna be ripped off.

Can't see myself getting a new GPU any time soon though with how things are going.

Soldato
Yep I have given up for a bit. I couldn't get an order on release day before the prices jumped up, I was also not 100% on the 10gb on a 3080 and the lack of new games has cooled me off grabbing a new GPU.
Plus we are now going to have some competition in the upper GPU space so I am just going to sit back and wait. In the mean time I have ordered a 5900X and a Xbox series X.

Soldato
I want a new AMD GPU but I wont be paying over RRP and I wont be handing my hard earned over to anyone unless it shows as in stock, I'll wait for everyone to BETA test for me and then buy at RRP when they are readily available, meanwhile I'll continue to read about people who have handed money over at some inflated price with no idea when they'll get the item. Its frustrating yet entertaining to read.

Soldato
Think like a fair few people that I shall be waiting till 2021 and seeing how the land lies then. No hurry as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own but no way am I paying a premium just to be an early adopter.

Soldato
I was actually ready to be an early adopter. First time ever. And this happened.

Got my fingers burnt with an early 2080, space invaders. Got my money back and bought a 1080ti at a really good price (best card I've ever owned since time began). Once bitten, twice shy. And that was before the insane price scalping!

Man of Honour
The 3080/3090 release was indeed very bad, but I managed to get a 3070 FE a good week or so after launch day and I wasn't even really trying. AMD might be different, no point talking yourself out of it if it's what you want. If you don't manage to get one, oh well? It isn't the end of the world, you're clearly not in a crazy rush to upgrade if you're talking about waiting months.

Associate
OP
It isn't the end of the world, you're clearly not in a crazy rush to upgrade if you're talking about waiting months.
I'm using a 7850, because the modern card was fried by lightning. I want *better*. But everything better and not wasteful seems unattainable.

Associate
OP
Got my fingers burnt with an early 2080, space invaders. Got my money back and bought a 1080ti at a really good price (best card I've ever owned since time began). Once bitten, twice shy. And that was before the insane price scalping!
Anything in the AMD range would be a decent upgrade. Nvidia as well, but I was out off by the power requirements. They seemed crazy.

Permabanned
I'm currently using a spare 660ti from my arcade machine to plat The Witcher 3 so I'm very keen to get a RX6800 or RX6700XT.
However I will not pay over the odds or panic into buying especially as these cards are well overpriced in the first place.

Associate
I have a v56 and plenty of money saved.

I was at work when the 30 series launched so I had no chance to order one.

I'll buy a new AMD card if I can, I'll even press F5 for a few hours if I have too.

I won't pre-order so I do don't expect to be buying anything until well into next year.
I don't really care much, I will also probably be playing cyberpunk with all the bugs patched.

Back
Top Bottom