• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is anyone else thinking about giving up on GPUs for a few months?

Caporegime
I'll try for a card next week but not expecting anything. Not paying over the odds and my 3900X/1080 isn't awful by any means so quite happy to wait until supply improves.

Associate
Quite frankly it's disgusting the way prices have continued to increase again and again way over RRP. I'm amazed at how many people need these new super graphics cards, I mean what games are these people playing? There are no new killer games which require this power? What is currently next gen on pc?

Permabanned
There is no technical reason for lack of supply from TSMC - it's the same process node that has been used since beginning of 2019 or late 2018 for the production of the original Radeon VII.
Also, RX 6800, RX 6800 XT and RX 6900 XT will be more expensive for the average consumers, let alone those in the poorer countries. They stick with something more modest like Polaris or Navi 14.

Nvidia has a reason not to ship the cards and it's Samsung.

NVIDIA have made a few mistakes.
  • Not securing TSMC 7nm was a huge one.
  • Unrealistic MRSP's.
  • Having low global inventory for a product launch.
And coming out and saying it was a demand problem, and not a supply problem... what a load of BS.
They just rushed their launch to get out ahead of AMD and they were not ready, simple as.

Someone high up at NVIDIA needs to be slapped around and demoted for incompetence.

Associate
I'm getting the popcorn ready for the uproar that will happen when Nvidia releases the 3060's and s050's and the TI iteration of the 3080's so soon after this launch and stock issue

Permabanned
NVIDIA have made a few mistakes.
  • Not securing TSMC 7nm was a huge one.
  • Unrealistic MRSP's.
  • Having low global inventory for a product launch.
And coming out and saying it was a demand problem, and not a supply problem... what a load of BS.
They just rushed their launch to get out ahead of AMD and they were not ready, simple as.

Someone high up at NVIDIA needs to be slapped around and demoted for incompetence.

Yes, it's annoying that they point the finger at the customers saying you buy too much... It isn't serious.

Associate
So what are these next gen games which people are so desperate to play? Counter strike or world of Warcraft at 250fps? There are no killer games worth the upgrade.

Soldato
Absolutely not going to bother with GPU before Christmas. I ordered my CPU an hour before it even released and was number 378 in queue.

It's not going to be a "really dumb" idea like the poster on first page said. Stock will come in eventually, you'll get a better, improved card in spring for a more sensible price.

Soldato
There is no technical reason for lack of supply from TSMC - it's the same process node that has been used since beginning of 2019 or late 2018 for the production of the original Radeon VII.

Surely you realise that TSMC dosn't have infinite capacity right ?

Soldato
I want a 6800xt. But it feels not even with trying. Nothing is in stock. Scalpers are everywhere. It just feels like it won't be possible. That there's no point even trying.

Am I alone in feeling like this?

Younger minds: I need a card for Christmas

Older minds: hmm...I wonder whether the Asrock 6800XT OC Formula has a binned chip, 135% PL and 16+3 phases.....

Soldato
I'm using a 7 year old i7-4770K and a 1070 GTX, was waiting for the new cards to come out to finally upgrade my rig as a whole and now I can't get either the new AMD CPU or the nvidia card because of lack of stock. I wanted to ideally upgrade for cyberpunk, but now I don't know whether I suck it up and play it on low settings or wait until next year when there's finally stock ready

Not sure if it's a stock issue, a scalper issue, people buying cards for a minimal upgrade or all of the above, but it's super frustrating. Probably just picked a horrendous time to upgrade.

Associate
yup i've given up completely.
3070's going for £650 right now XD
world's gone gpu mad.
no idea who is buying them at that price, but fairly certain it isn't gamers..
something fishy going on. maybe some crazy bitcoin operations buying up EVERYTHING the second it goes on sale still..

sad times for gamers.

oh well at least new consoles are putting out 4k/60fps fairly comfortably from what some friends have been saying, and for a lot less than a next-gen gpu.

doubt prices will be anywhere close to RRP until black fri 2021!!! (which is sad times for us all)

:(((

if you were one of the lucky ones who got a 1st batch 3080 before price jacked up, or 3070/3080 FE for RRP, well GG. i tried my hardest but got screwed both times by websites getting slammed. feelsbadman to get them in the cart, but not be able to checkout, TWICE! RIP

p.s. no idea how ppl have been getting FE at RRP since sell-out on launch day, I haven't seen them anywhere other than scalpers myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom