• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Argghh, bent CPU pins on 3900x

Man of Honour
Had my brother call me in a panic not long back having bent some pins on his 3700x, 20+ pins in various places (think they tried to install it at the wrong orientation)
I used a Stanley blade, mechanical pencil and micro tweezers, I also have a very cheap usb microscope I used to get in close to check the alignment of the pins in each direction.
In total it took me 2 hours to complete but slotted straight in to the board with no resistance.
Infact he owes me a few beers for that:D

2 hours? thats madness on 20 pins - Perhaps I am a but of a mad man, bend them back in 2 mins flat! Use the socket for final alignment lol

Associate
2 hours? thats madness on 20 pins - Perhaps I am a but of a mad man, bend them back in 2 mins flat! Use the socket for final alignment lol

It was the ones towards the centre I was concerned about as a couple of them were flat down and I didn't want to snap them off.
One also had a kink in it which took a lot of persuasion to straighten out as I didn't think the socket realign a bent pin.
If it had of not worked I was going to delid it for the fun of it:D

Man of Honour
It was the ones towards the centre I was concerned about as a couple of them were flat down and I didn't want to snap them off.
One also had a kink in it which took a lot of persuasion to straighten out as I didn't think the socket realign a bent pin.
If it had of not worked I was going to delid it for the fun of it:D

Weirdly the socket will allign slightly kinked pins. :)

Associate
This happened to me get a razor blade to use as alignment and rest on the other pins and bend them back in align.

Use your phone's camera for macro and it allows you to check all the rows and easily see if any are wonky

Soldato
Happened to me building my stepson’s 1600. Terrifying and it was just one pin.

can’t remember how I bent it back but it worked.

One thing Intel does better IMO as mobos are cheaper to replace.

Soldato
I feel the OP's pain.

I did this with a 3700X Build. Used AMD's supplied cooler and it ripped the CPU through the socket as I was attempting to clip both sides of the cooler into place.

I've built many PC's like others here only happened with that AMD cooler.

Safe to say now I do not attempt to use supplied coolers any more xD

Caporegime
OP
Well the good news is the motherboard is fine.

I managed to get a 3800XT and used a Noctua D15 cooler and that all works.

I'll see if I can return the 3900x for RMA as suggested.

Soldato
I’m glad it’s not just me! I did exactly the same with my 3600X. It didn’t even take much force to pull the CPU out with the locking lever down. Quite a few slightly bent pins but thankfully I was able to realign them using the socket.

Hope AMD accept the return OP.

Back
Top Bottom