Wifi 6 Router and access point / mesh?

Soldato
I've got a pretty old ASUS Wifi 5 router connected via CAT6 to a FritzBox 3490 in the livingroom to give coverage to the whole house at the moment.

I'm hoping to replace both units with newer Wifi 6 hardware and hopefully get rid of the multiple networks in the process (downstairs guest 2.4, downstairs guest 5ghz, livingroom 2.4, livingroom 5, living room guest 2.4 etc etc :D ).

What would be an ideal setup under £400 that'll give me some Wifi 6 goodness but also reliable hardware and hopefully just two networks, Guest and Private for the whole house?

Soldato
Leave it at the moment. There is a raft of new WiFi6 equipment coming out in the next 6 months. It will be cheaper, faster and a better fit for your requirements than most of what is currently available.

Soldato
OP
Leave it at the moment. There is a raft of new WiFi6 equipment coming out in the next 6 months. It will be cheaper, faster and a better fit for your requirements than most of what is currently available.

Ok cool, I've picked up an Honor 3 instead for the living room to replace the FritzBox so that'll keep me going for cheap for the time being and allow wireless VR. :)

Soldato
Good move. I’ve been benching one for about a week now and it’s a bargain. But then it’s an unfashionable Chinese brand made by an even more unfashionable Chinese brand and it’s finished to disappear into the background rather than a blue-screen model in an Alien movie.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking at Wifi 6 cards for laptops now so I don't have a cable occasionally trailing across the floor to the router and annoying my wife. :D

I can see the Intel AX200NGW card looks like it's the standard, there's a Killer one too but I've had issues with Killer stuff in the past. Any others to look at or just grab the Intel one? I have a Razer Blade 2019 (early) so compatibility should be good.

Soldato
OP
I've set the Honor 3 up, seems like a really decent piece of kit considering the price (even not considering the price, it's still great).

I've got my Asus AC88U router and was wondering if there's a way to link the Honor 3 and the Asus together to have a single wireless network name? They're connected via Cat6.

I see ASUS have AiMesh but seems to be only for Asus units, the Honor 3 has Link+ but no idea if there's any standardisation for this stuff and how to enable it?

EDIT: I've put the Honor 3 in to Bridge (AP) mode with the CAT6 in the WAN port. I then named the wireless SSID to be the same name as the main router along with the same password. All seems to be working very well and so nice to have just a single wireless name and no dropping when moving around the house!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom