Nest Learning Thermostat & Dual Zones

Soldato
Hi all

Just had a chat with a Nest installer who didn't seem too clued up on dual zone installs (so I won't be using him lol) but I thought I would check with you lot to make sure what I have isn't something "out of the ordinary".

New build property as of 2018. Ideal Logic C35 boiler with 2 zones. One thermostat in the lounge and one in the master bedroom. I had assumed you would just buy 2 x Nest Learning Thermostats and you would install both Heat Links, one to each zone. Yay/nay?

My boiler is OpenTherm compatible with the installation of a £7 harness. Is this something I should get and use with the Nest system or does it not really matter or... ?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
New build property as of 2018. Ideal Logic C35 boiler with 2 zones. One thermostat in the lounge and one in the master bedroom. I had assumed you would just buy 2 x Nest Learning Thermostats and you would install both Heat Links, one to each zone. Yay/nay?

Yes, that's correct. It is likely you have a valved system as well as a wiring centre located somewhere in the house (not necessarily beside the boiler)

I have the same system and will use the wiring centre to "re-route" the existing thermostat and valve wiring into the heat links.

Soldato
For me I took the easy route with how ours was setup. Downstairs we had the main zone programmer under the boiler. I fitted the Nest 3rd Gen heatlink in place of the old programmer (Danfoss programmer, with cabled in remote sensor in the hallway). And used the existing cables to the remote sensor as the 12v supply to the Nest 3rd Gen thermostat.

Upstairs there was a battery powered Danfoss thermostat (common and N/O cable) so I installed the Nest E on the second zone. If I wanted another 3rd Gen Nest, I believe I could have used the wiring centre, but found it easier to use the Nest E.

Caporegime
Thanks guys. Spoke to a Nest Pro who was far more clued up and advised me. Hoping for some black Friday deals now!

Yeah use the pro guys they usually have installed thousands.

My local nest pro is ridiculously fast and his installs are so clean. He makes them look flawless even with drilling, etc involved and uses trunking wherever he can't hide wires in walls.

Associate
Just in the process of having a new boiler fitted with an additional underfloor heated zone in an extension. They've used valve boxes which the nest thermostats controls depending on which zone is requesting heat or if water is.

It's amazing how many pipes additional zones requires

PXL-20201113-203832285.jpg

Associate
I just set up a nest E last night and I have dual heating zones. Just changed out the heat link for the thermostat in my livingroom and put the "E" at the other side of the room and switched everything back on, works better than I thought. Now I'm thinking of getting one for the hallway which would do the rest of the house.

Soldato
OP
Managed to get 2 x 3rd Gen Learning Thermostats including stands brand new for £350 today as well as 3 x Protects for £234 so I'm pretty chuffed. Looking forward to getting it all set up.

Soldato
Just in the process of having a new boiler fitted with an additional underfloor heated zone in an extension. They've used valve boxes which the nest thermostats controls depending on which zone is requesting heat or if water is.

It's amazing how many pipes additional zones requires

PXL-20201113-203832285.jpg

No disrespect, but that looks wrong! And not that great having the flow and return 'hit' tee's just for a bypass. Might want to have a word with the installer about the top 2-port also. It just doesn't seem to serve a purpose, if anything having a negative affect on flow.

I stand to be corrected, not knowing the full layout, just saying tho ;)

Associate
No disrespect, but that looks wrong! And not that great having the flow and return 'hit' tee's just for a bypass. Might want to have a word with the installer about the top 2-port also. It just doesn't seem to serve a purpose, if anything having a negative affect on flow.

I stand to be corrected, not knowing the full layout, just saying tho ;)
I'm not a plumber, so all I can comment on is that it seems to work fine and hasn't affected the water pressure. As I understand the 3 ports are: 2 to control thermostats, one of which is underfloor heating. The other to control hot water, so that the heating doesn't steal hot water when it's requested.

I'm not worried about him being a cowboy or not knowing what he's doing.

Soldato
OP
Just changed out the heat link for the thermostat in my livingroom

Oh so you can put the Heat Link in place of the old thermostat on the wall? I guess it does the same thing and calls for heat or not. Might be better doing that instead of having redundant thermostats on the wall as I will be using the Nests on stands.

Soldato
I'm not a plumber, so all I can comment on is that it seems to work fine and hasn't affected the water pressure. As I understand the 3 ports are: 2 to control thermostats, one of which is underfloor heating. The other to control hot water, so that the heating doesn't steal hot water when it's requested.

I'm not worried about him being a cowboy or not knowing what he's doing.

Yeah thats quite normal, but unless your picture isn't showing it, that 3 x 2port arrangement won't do what you've said.

5PkHnEE.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh so you can put the Heat Link in place of the old thermostat on the wall? I guess it does the same thing and calls for heat or not. Might be better doing that instead of having redundant thermostats on the wall as I will be using the Nests on stands.

Yeah, I thought that when it arrived the heat link was wired to the boiler and the "E" took the place of the thermostat in the room but when I went through the instructions on the app it was a lot simpler I pulled off the thermostat which only had 2 wires and wired them 2 into the heat link and screwed on to the wall, plugged in the "E" somewhere and done all the wifi syncing etc and off it went. 20 min job.

XvEGtkw.jpg

0SD1UM6.jpg

Bad whatsapp photos

Back
Top Bottom