• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
MLID got this one right at release. Trickle tactic to top up and keep the 'RRP' there but in reality most people are sucking up thje AIB £720+ prices.

@Richdog
@Richdog

The 6800 Im hearing if fully unlocked could be a value prospect. Your possibly going to be able to flash BIOS and overclock them hard. The card is way better specced than the 3070 no matter how you slice it, and lets face it all the prices you are paying for the AIB ones are more than the 6800.

The ROG ones and some are same price as a 3080FE.. unbelievable.
I think the 6800, while looking like it has more rasterisation raw power than the 3070, equals out in some regards when you factor everything in. With the MSRP price of the 3070 being 14% cheaper, it makes it tougher to call. Even if fully unlocked it has less CU's than the 6800XT, which will hamper performance. Of course, MSRP means jack **** at the moment, but it's still the baseline. I will definitely be going with a minimum of a 6800XT and unless the 6900XT pulls out some magic performance boost out of the silicone bag when the reviews hit, then it likely won't tempt me away even if my local prices are 15-20% cheaper than UK.

@Th0nt
@Th0nt
@Th0nt

Associate
I think the 6800, while looking like it has more rasterisation raw power than the 3070, equals out in some regards when you factor everything in. With the MSRP price of the 3070 being 14% cheaper, it makes it tougher to call. Even if fully unlocked it has less CU's than the 6800XT, which will hamper performance. Of course, MSRP means jack **** at the moment, but it's still the baseline. I will definitely be going with a minimum of a 6800XT and unless the 6900XT pulls out some magic performance boost out of the silicone bag when the reviews hit, then it likely won't tempt me away even if my local prices are 15-20% cheaper than UK.

@Th0nt
@Th0nt
@Th0nt

Im thinking the same as you, if the 6900XT has some crazy leap of performance over the 6800XT i will bite, but i seriously doubt there is going to be any real meaningful performance over the 6800XT to warrant the extra price.

As it looks right now the 5900X and 6800XT look to be the high end perfect pairing for performance per pound spent

Caporegime
Im thinking the same as you, if the 6900XT has some crazy leap of performance over the 6800XT i will bite, but i seriously doubt there is going to be any real meaningful performance over the 6800XT to warrant the extra price.

As it looks right now the 5900X and 6800XT look to be the high end perfect pairing for performance per pound spent
Completely agree with you and that is the combo I have set my sights on! I will keep the 5900x (when it eventually arrives) until I upgrade to AM5 in 4 or so years, but the GPU will likely be upgraded twice in that time and I think the 6800XT will be the best mix of price/performance/specs to get through comfortably to the next generation without the kind of buyers remorse I would inevitably get spending £800 on a scalped RTX3080 10GB or especially £1600 on a RTX3090.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Associate
So.... The 6800XT vs the 6900XT.

I've been thinking. Is the 6900XT really worth an extra £300ish for an extra 8 compute units?

Will those extra 8 make that much of a difference? As it's only less than 10% more.

Or do you guys think the 6900XT will have the better silicone?

If the 6900XT had 20/24GB it would have been a no brainer for me. But cant get my head around the above.

Associate
So.... The 6800XT vs the 6900XT.

I've been thinking. Is the 6900XT really worth an extra £300ish for an extra 8 compute units?

Will those extra 8 make that much of a difference? As it's only less than 10% more.

Or do you guys think the 6900XT will have the better silicone?

that all depends. If it can beat a £1400 3090 in games and comes in at £900 to £1000 reference model then I’m sold.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Completely agree with you and that is the combo I have set my sights on! I will keep the 5900x (when it eventually arrives) until I upgrade to AM5 in 4 or so years, but the GPU will likely be upgraded twice in that time and I think the 6800XT will be the best mix of price/performance/specs to get through comfortably to the next generation without the kind of buyers remorse I would inevitably get spending £800 on a scalped RTX3080 10GB or especially £1600 on a RTX3090.

@Richdog I still think the 3070 is bad choice as the 2080Ti still trumps it as it has more VRAM, I am seeing lots of stock being bought on the bot notification sites and these cards are all well over MSRP so they are paying in some cases more than a 6800 is priced at. @Richdog

Ed: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-36g-ms.html

@Richdog

Caporegime
@Richdog I still think the 3070 is bad choice as the 2080Ti still trumps it as it has more VRAM, I am seeing lots of stock being bought on the bot notification sites and these cards are all well over MSRP so they are paying in some cases more than a 6800 is priced at. @Richdog

Ed: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-36g-ms.html

@Richdog
@Th0nt

I don't think it's bad per se, and with DLSS and RT it will be a very strong 1440p performer too. If the price of the 6800 comes down then it will be clearer cut. @Th0nt

Still, the 6800XT is the only card that makes sense to me in the lineup. @Th0nt

@Th0nt

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
@Richdog I just dont agree its that black and white. The same happened with the 5600's and 5700's where they start off close to the XT and in normal market conditions, the offers start making the gap widen. If your a 1440p gamer then its probably a good upgrade from other weak mid-range cards. However if your anything like the 2080/S/Ti its barely a sidegrade, cant see why people are jumping over it @Richdog ! Especially for scalped/profits pushing the prices into 3080FE territory.

Caporegime
Just want to say how much I've been enjoy the debate these past few pages gentlemen.

@Th0nt @Richdog @Th0nt @Richdog @Th0nt @Richdog

:D

@LtMatt sir, if you join in it can begin a Mass-debate.. ;)

Ed - sorry almost forgot to tag @Richdog in case he misses it! :p

With scalping prices you are right that the 3070 makes zero sense and anyone who bought one for near the price of the 3080 is simply a FOMO-driven lunatic. In fact, anyone who was not lucky enough to get one for MSRP at launch and then buys any of these cards for the hugely inflated prices that stores have been charging at least partly deserves the buyers remorse that will come to them sooner rather than later.

It will be interesting to see how much initial stock of Big Navi there will be and if those also go way up in price. If I miss one at launch then I will just wait till next year when stock levels improve. My tolerance for paying over the odds in these kinds of largely manufacturer-created situations is very, very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom