Ring/Eufy/Nest

Soldato
Our old door bell is broken and have looked at a smart one for a while...nest seem to be lagging behind and as I need wireless ring and eufy seem to be the only options (nest seem to be stagnating with no WiFi model).

I was set on ring due to Amazon backing, but eufy looks like a good package.

Anyone moved between the two or general views?

Soldato
What do you mean about Nest and WiFi? It certainly is WiFi... Do you mean it requires a hard line for power and is not battery operated?

Caporegime
Nest is the best in terms of clarity, speed of response, etc.

It also integrates well with Google products.

I know folk with the ring and I'm forever pressin the doorbell to get zero response. Have to phone them. To let us in their house when they have invited us over.

All my family and friends are now nest after seeing mine in action bar one who got the ring which sucks.

Soldato
Nest all the way and this is from someone who has lots of ring cameras and the alarm. I wish ring would make a decent doorbell. Nest doorbell is still epic after years and records 24/7 to cloud so great for security as well. I hope they come out with a new version with a better sensor and maybe 4k as thats all it needs to upgrade it along with the option of local storage like the new eufy 24/7 model thats out in bestbuy usa.

Associate
I got a ring doorbell (hard wired) before the Nest one was out and haven't changed it as it isn't bad. With mine, there isn't a delay between someone pressing the bell and the chimes going off in the house (we have 2, one downstairs and one upstairs) but there's sometimes a 15-20 second delay for the notification on my phone. Could definitely be better, but works well enough that I'm not going to change it but if I had the choice between the Nest and Ring I might have to think hard.

Soldato
Nest all the way and this is from someone who has lots of ring cameras and the alarm. I wish ring would make a decent doorbell. Nest doorbell is still epic after years and records 24/7 to cloud so great for security as well. I hope they come out with a new version with a better sensor and maybe 4k as thats all it needs to upgrade it along with the option of local storage like the new eufy 24/7 model thats out in bestbuy usa.

Can't see Google doing that, they make their money from the subscription.

I've got a nest doorbell, I'm finding the software a bit buggy though. I'm certainly begrudged paying the subscription price for it.

Rings pretty much bottom of the list.

Eufy looks good with the local storage, but I don't know how well it's features work.

Permabanned
Nest Hello, needs wired uses a ton of bandwidth per month as no local storage so hope you are not capped/traffic shaped by your with ISP, the sub for the cloud is not too bad now as they greatly reduced it.

The real issue for me was they decided to do away with the ability to disable the LEDS (it can look more stealth) due to some US laws about privacy and recording people so now it is like a Xmas tree for all to see what it is.

Eufy doorbell like their cams take a a long time to appear on screen on the Google Hub if they even do appear instead of stuck at white loading screen, the Nest Hello is instant and the Hub can act as the buzzer if you do not want to mess with that kit to convert your existing ringer.,

Last edited:
Don
I have the Eufy battery powered jobbie, it's awesome and then you can use the home base for additional security camera etc.. The GUI is very good, alerting, remote interaction and detection is very good.

Highly recommended

Soldato
OP
I have the Eufy battery powered jobbie, it's awesome and then you can use the home base for additional security camera etc.. The GUI is very good, alerting, remote interaction and detection is very good.

Highly recommended

great, do you experience any of the delays mentioned above? Assuming it should be at least better as it’ll use local WiFi?

also, do you use Alexa/google?
Edit: I will be mounting this on a UPVC frame with potentially Velcro. Has anyone used this method for any other smart doorbell?

Last edited:
Don
I use mine in conjunction with alexa shows (5 & 8), there is definitely a delay waiting for that to show on the screen (5s I reckon), but that's all a bit of a novelty really if I'm sat at home anyway :p

The value add is that the notification and interaction to my phone is nearly instant. So being able to see whos at the door, talk to them and let them in if needed (I have yale conexis too) when I'm 300 miles away is awesome. Also with the home base you dont have any monthly cloud subscription costs etc..

Soldato
OP
I use mine in conjunction with alexa shows (5 & 8), there is definitely a delay waiting for that to show on the screen (5s I reckon), but that's all a bit of a novelty really if I'm sat at home anyway :p

The value add is that the notification and interaction to my phone is nearly instant. So being able to see whos at the door, talk to them and let them in if needed (I have yale conexis too) when I'm 300 miles away is awesome. Also with the home base you dont have any monthly cloud subscription costs etc..
Sorry...realised I typed “local WiFi” instead of baseunit :p

yeah, conscious of mounting monthly subs. I’m in the google ecosystem for speakers, with Apple phones etc. How are you finding battery life?

Don
Sorry...realised I typed “local WiFi” instead of baseunit :p

yeah, conscious of mounting monthly subs. I’m in the google ecosystem for speakers, with Apple phones etc. How are you finding battery life?

I've had it 3 weeks now and it's still showing as full, recharging is a doddle, just a micro usb lead :)

Soldato
We have a battery ring. Its set up at the far end of our porch so whilst there may be a delay were already notified as the motion detection picks them up first.

One day we'll have a decent solution

Soldato
I've got nest hello after having the ring 2 first, with the ring it was such a delay and the battery didnt last long for us. I've got nest hello now and its so much faster and we've got it wired in using a 3rd party plug.

Soldato
Edit: I will be mounting this on a UPVC frame with potentially Velcro. Has anyone used this method for any other smart doorbell?

I used this for my Grandmas first camera the velcro in the cold just gave up and the camera dropped luckily to a padded doormat. I used 3m VHB tape now and its easy enough to heat up and remove if needed and much more secure.

Soldato
OP
I used this for my Grandmas first camera the velcro in the cold just gave up and the camera dropped luckily to a padded doormat. I used 3m VHB tape now and its easy enough to heat up and remove if needed and much more secure.
Problem I foresee is removing to charge the doorbell, assuming I’ll have to reapply each time

Soldato
You wouldn't have to remove each time as you just remove the security screw from underneath to slide the battery out. The problem for me is mine was being triggered 200/300 times a day so it killed the battery. Where as the quoted stats are based on lone American front gardens/porches.

Back
Top Bottom