Thermal Paste Application?

Associate
Historically when I have applied thermal paste I have always used the pea method.

Ordered some thermalright tf8 paste and it comes with a spatula.

Do I need to do the whole spread a thin layer over the top thing? Or will it work well with just a pea in the centre

Thanks

Associate
BS I'd say. Little bit of paste on, spread it with the spreader as if you were painting a wall. The little pressure you put on the spreader to spread it should negate the chance of air bubbles. Gelid have been supplying a spreader for years, kryo has spreader nozzles....

Soldato
Do the x method!

I have always used spreading method. It is a pain. But have never failed me and cooler sat in CPU long time (years) not had any issue of thermal performances.

the x method is just so damn easy and fool proof.

the dot worked well for intel chips. But the ryzen chips are not located in the middle of the cpu board. There are several chips on that board so you need decent coverage across the footprint of the IHS. Thus the x method.

Soldato
I've done both the X and blob method and tbh theres not much in it spread wise. I find the X method you usually get more coverage near the edges of the IHS but either is fine.

Associate
Being using Thermal Grissly Kryonaut for a while now. Always using the spreading method. No issues and no chance of excessive paste being applied.
The before mentioned Ryzen "issue", is real. The pea method would work, no issues, but if too little applied, won't cover the area which needs the most. You can check this as Aquacomputer with their new CPU blocks (the ones optimized for Ryzen 3000) table a wider fun area and the ports are offset, benefiting the "hotter" area.

Back
Top Bottom