• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Had first crash earlier playing bo derlands 3 just turned off completely bit worrying

Worked fine after though

Quite a bit of heat coming out top after an hour though - smells hot

But considering my GPU on PC kicks a fair amount of heat out and that's just the GPU it's not surprising really

That sounds like the kind of thing a PC would do if it overheated in order to protect from system damage.

Is your console well ventilated?

Soldato
I ordered a Samsung Q80T in the end. I might get some piece that way.

I'm getting desperately tempted to get another TV. I only just moved our old 55 incher into bedroom to play in peace, but afer playing games at 120hz, it sucks going back to the older TV.

It is a bit crazy though, having just forked out for the new OLED in living room - to which my other half responded - I can't tell the difference :rolleyes: moving from IPS :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I do wish I could be as oblivious to image quality - it would save me a lot...

Man of Honour
I'm usually only a "3-4 games on the go max" kinda guy, but since the console's still new and having a big backlog I've not played (skipped Xbox last gen) it means that I've been dipping in and out of different games to check out how they look.

I've only really played co-op with the kids (me on x, them on s) ... but when it's just me, I can't seem to put Ori and the will of the whisps down. What an absolute gem of a game.

That’s a great game. Play Hollow Knight next.

Soldato
Both, X with 1TB expansion and 1TB USB SSD, S with 1TB Expansion. I have the X in the living room, and the S in the Office and for taking on the plane as hand luggage when my friends get together 3-4 times a year (if COVID-19 ever goes away).

4-6 games isn't a lot, and yes I play them all as I have:
  1. 4 online games that we cycle through as a group (MCC, H5, Overwatch, and another 4 player game on the go from game pass (e.g. Sea of Thieves, Rock Galactic, or R6)
  2. 2 coop games which are played depending on which friend is on when the whole group isn't on (currently Darksiders, Wargroove, and Crackdown 3)
  3. 2 single player games (currently Jedi Fallen Order and A Plagues Tale) that I alternate between
You ask why people complain after a week? Games are generally getting larger and if it is already a problem now then it's only going to be worse in the future. Being able to turn off the instant resume would save a nice 40GB of storage giving a more reasonable 400GB of usable storage.

Maybe this is only a problem if you have friends :p

Don't get me wrong, I think 1tb for the S and 2tb for the X would have been better obviously. And you're right games are getting larger due to high res textures etc. but the prices of the consoles would have been quite a bit higher. But there are options to optimise game size etc. if devs can be bothered.

I think MS are taking a hit, especially on the X and this is probably the best they could do at the price point.

You don't sound like your typical gamer, whoever that is, esp. since you're still playing Crackdown :D, but then you have plenty of options with regards to expandable storage if you have the money.

I think better to keep the box cheaper and offer more storage for those who want it.

Associate
My TV only supports 2k @120.

To get Warzone working at 120 and probably others, even though I had Resolution 2560x1440 and 120 selected.
I also had to go into Advanced > Video Modes and disable 'Allow 4K' in order to make it work.

I found 1080p 120 is much more stable.

Associate
Had first crash earlier playing bo derlands 3 just turned off completely bit worrying

Worked fine after though

Quite a bit of heat coming out top after an hour though - smells hot

But considering my GPU on PC kicks a fair amount of heat out and that's just the GPU it's not surprising really

That sounds like the kind of thing a PC would do if it overheated in order to protect from system damage.

Is your console well ventilated?

If it's anything like the one x you should get a message stating that the console shut itself down to prevent overheating when you turn it back on. I had this on the one x when the thermal paste had completely dried out.

Hopefully it's just another niggle in the OS as there still seems to be some bugs to iron out.

Soldato
So there is a bug on the Series S/X with lost oddysey that some cutscenes will randomly have no sound, someone discovered if you put the game on external hdd, the bug goes away, it seems potentially the cause is the game loads too quickly before the sound engine can adjust.

Soldato
Made the mistake of starting The Talos Principle when its leaving GamePass (today I think), very addictive puzzle game but just checked how much it is to buy when it does leave and its £31.99! Thats with discount as well :eek: Sure I've seen it on Steam and PS4 for about £5 - £8.

Edit: It's currently £2.99 on the PS4 store

I always wondered why games never seem to be permanent on these services, and your experience is the likely explanation, get people hooked, and then hope they buy it when its removed.

This is the reason I probably wont carry on the game pass service when my 4 months is up.

Dont be surprised if the price goes down after it leaves, it was likely inflated to make game pass a better sell.

Soldato
It’s 364 GB of useable space, and with MCC you save little by removing just the campaigns. I have them installed though as we play 4 player coop regularly a few times a month.

I bought the 1TB expansion so I have no problems, but you’re having a laugh if you think 364 GB is enough with the number of game in the region of 80-100 GB. I can fit 4 games on that, all of which I play regularly.

it’s actually quicker for me to redownload games than to use the 120-130Mb/s external drives, but I appreciate that not everyone has access to 10Gb fibre.

Yeah even with basic VDSL, I dont find downloading that big a deal, I queued up FH4 and 2-3 hours later it was downloaded, no big deal to redownload games, but if it ever becomes an issue for me in the future the solution is a external WD passport drive as cold storage and for use to store clips/videos, run BC games.

The problem here seems to be a lot of people want to store their entire library offline, the console world still has that offline mentality. Only about 5% of my steam library is installed, and most of it on spindle, I move active games (that benefit from it) to ssd when needed.

A 500 gig nvme drive costs about third of the price of a Series S at retail, so not that stingy. As I think a few of us said earlier as well, a lower cost of entry with less storage is preferable to a higher price with more space.

The only game I own that is 80 gig size is ff7 remake on the ps4, and we now know that has over 30 gig of textures that arent even used in the game, devs are very disrespectful when it comes to resources.

Yeah think you're in the minority with 10Gb, lol.

Do you have an S and the expansion or the X?

Anyone buying an S and then the expansion is obviously nuts as makes more sense to just buy an X with twice the storage.

I've got tons installed on my X and still plenty of room, and any single player stuff like Jedi Fallen Order will get removed once I complete it.

Not sure why there are so many complaints about storage space after a week, how many games can people play at once, and it's not like the storage size isn't advertised.

Its all a bit strange, if 360 gig is a problem, then in reality so is the 800 gig or so you get on the X, in the grand scheme of things it isnt much bigger. Also what are all these 80 gig games, that people have just suddenly decided to download, are people going to play all the games at the same time?

Seems to go back to that culture again, that people just download as they want it all offline stored.

100% agree on buying the seagate, £200 for a TB is insane, and it is sad to see consoles pushing that model again, I think the S and X are both sold at a loss, if you look at whats in them, these expansion kits are their way of recouping that money. For that price I would expect it to be MLC or SLC nand which I expect it isnt. For reference my 360 gig storage is currently 31% used.

I have just discovered the Xbox Dash is horrible at managing storage space though, cannot find an easy way to see total usage of my captures, on the ps4 dash its a simple breakdown. If anyone knows how I wouldnt mind been told how.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Installing now. I was thinking of playing Ori "1" after I've done Whisps, but don't think I'd be able to go back if the mechanics have been improved on since the first, I'd be comparing it to its older brother the whole time.

I think it’s definitely difficult to play them back to back out of order, but come back to the first one in a few months.

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong, I think 1tb for the S and 2tb for the X would have been better obviously. And you're right games are getting larger due to high res textures etc. but the prices of the consoles would have been quite a bit higher. But there are options to optimise game size etc. if devs can be bothered.

I think MS are taking a hit, especially on the X and this is probably the best they could do at the price point.

You don't sound like your typical gamer, whoever that is, esp. since you're still playing Crackdown :D, but then you have plenty of options with regards to expandable storage if you have the money.

I think better to keep the box cheaper and offer more storage for those who want it.

I agree that having the extra storage be an optional cost is the best approach, it’s just that I find 364 GB to be an immediate problem for me. Having the option to turn off game recording and instant resume to get back that 60 GB of storage would be perfect for me.

Maybe this is less of a problem if you don’t account for the huge Xbox One games as the series S optimized games are pretty small (e.g. sea of thieves and gears tactics).

I also agree that I’m not normal :p

Associate
A lot of TVs have a separate set of settings once HDR is enabled, so you may find that all the smoothness and other post-processing rubbish is enabled again even if you turned it off for again SDR content. Samsungs are terrible for doing this.

True i looked again at the lads last night and in the settings with hdr on there was stutter on fifa and cod but then on the tv settings it has metadata creation on auto and all i did was change this to static and now its fine

Caporegime
Had my first bug with it yesterday. Quick resume wasnt loading any games so had to restart the console. Then the games worked but not from quick resume (just started from scratch).

Not the end of the world, but from other reports it looks like they still need to iron out some kinks with the quick resume feature,

Soldato
Both, X with 1TB expansion and 1TB USB SSD, S with 1TB Expansion. I have the X in the living room, and the S in the Office and for taking on the plane as hand luggage when my friends get together 3-4 times a year (if COVID-19 ever goes away).

4-6 games isn't a lot, and yes I play them all as I have:
  1. 4 online games that we cycle through as a group (MCC, H5, Overwatch, and another 4 player game on the go from game pass (e.g. Sea of Thieves, Rock Galactic, or R6)
  2. 2 coop games which are played depending on which friend is on when the whole group isn't on (currently Darksiders, Wargroove, and Crackdown 3)
  3. 2 single player games (currently Jedi Fallen Order and A Plagues Tale) that I alternate between
You ask why people complain after a week? Games are generally getting larger and if it is already a problem now then it's only going to be worse in the future. Being able to turn off the instant resume would save a nice 40GB of storage giving a more reasonable 400GB of usable storage.

Maybe this is only a problem if you have friends :p

check this I found, I was looking for how to move "existing" captures from internal to external after you install external

AFAIK, game dvr saves are stored in the reserved part of the internal HDD. That internal storage space is limited so to allow extended clips the option to use an external HDD was added however it can only be used with an NTFS formatted HDD. An NTFS formatted HDD cannot however be used to save games and apps which need an Xbox format so you will need to chose between the two usage cases or add a second external HDD if you wish to have both external games/apps storage and game dvr clips.

If this dude is correct, then what he is basically saying is the internal storage has an extra NTFS partition which is reserved for clips and recordings, I assume not shown in the capacity screen. Microsoft have made an odd inflexible choice of requiring different filesystems for game and capture storage, sony doesnt do that but forces all clips to be stored on internal storage. Both companies making some very odd design choices.

So someone who doesnt care for saving clips and screenshots, has lost space for that reason also.

Soldato
What headset do people prefer? Would like wireless / surround. Arctis 9x?

Logitech G Pro X for me, I had those and the Arctis 9X but found that the Logi's sounded more substantial and at the end of the day whilst the xbox connectivity was great, just plugging into the audio jack on the controller was just as easy and avoided the need to remember to charge the headphones. Not to mention that the Logi's are half the price.

I imagine the wireless G Pro X are worth considering if you have to have wireless.

Otherwise the 9X are probably the best xbox specific wireless headset you can get (from a comfort and ease of use perspective).

Back
Top Bottom