• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5900x idle temps 55c!!!

Soldato
I've got my 5900x installed on my asus Crosshair 8 on a custom watercooling loop with 3 x 360 rads and its idling at 53c to 55c that seems WAY too high to me although this is my first time on ryzen. I ran cinebencg r20 and it peaked at 70c

Are you sure at 53c there was nothing running in the background? Ryzen does jump up and down, your peak temperature is very good. Lowering the voltage by any amount with make your cpu underperform.

Associate
Contact seems good as I'm not going over 70 degrees full load cinebench r20

Hmm must just be small differences in the silicon, I've never reached 50C with light activity, and I would think my cooling solution is worse than yours. Vcore at the stock 1.4ish. Sometimes hit the mid-high 40's in short boosts though

By all accounts Ryzen idling up to 60C is common though, and doesn't seem to have any ill effects

Associate
I have a 5900X and an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 in a smallish case. Idle is 33-38C and full load is anywhere from 68-75C. I've also noticed discrepancies between HWinfo and Ryzen Master, but I think I've sussed a few things.

Firstly, the 5900X runs hot. That's just a trait I've accepted, and why I got an AIO to replace my air cooler.
Secondly, the chip will spike in temperature due to spikes in voltage that occur during random load on one or more cores. This is why background processes are seemingly keeping the chip from sleeping.
Thirdly, HWinfo reports vcore for the chip generally, and I've noticed it sit there at 1.45 volts seemingly unable to sleep despite no obvious process to cause it. What's actually happening is that one, maybe two cores ramp to 4.8Ghz and the corresponding voltage but HWinfo doesn't specify that the other cores are asleep and using lower volts. This is where Ryzen Master's average core voltage is useful, and I've noticed that usually around 0.5V or less.

Whether the above observations are due to beta BIOS versions or the simple nature of the chips I don't know, but my motherboard's latest BIOS is a beta and there's already undervolting support in the works for future updates. This suggests there's more refinement to be done before we should start being too concerned.

My advice: buy a great AIO (I've tried air, the fan speed bursts suck) and leave the BIOS on defaults for as much as possible. Oh and disable PBO as, for me at least, that really will cause big power and heat spikes.

Associate
Similar setup here, back to triple 360 rad, but using the 3900x, which I think runs hotter. Best way to control it, offset voltage -. Mine worked at -0.2, no issues boosting. Some people find -0.1 better. 15C cooler under load, about 12-15C cooler idling.

Associate
Does this not also get affected by the Windows power plan? Apparently the recent from AMD is to not use the Ryzen plans, just Windows balanced plan.

Soldato
I've seen people report this as well, turned out to be torrent and anti-virus clients.
:o classic - "i have nothing running, why is my CPU pegged and running hot" - but but but CPU utlislation is well up there...we can see if in your screen shot - look 99% CPU usage..."oh, yes, I am downloading the entire series of Mandalorian atm and some well dodge software that my AV is choking it every second..."

Associate
:o classic - "i have nothing running, why is my CPU pegged and running hot" - but but but CPU utlislation is well up there...we can see if in your screen shot - look 99% CPU usage..."oh, yes, I am downloading the entire series of Mandalorian atm and some well dodge software that my AV is choking it every second..."

Haha, exactly. Also, some of those clients keep the CPU ticking even when not running a scheduled process - I remember when the torrent clients used to run mining in the background.

Soldato

Haha, exactly. Also, some of those clients keep the CPU ticking even when not running a scheduled process - I remember when the torrent clients used to run mining in the background.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom