Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I've got the dispatch notification for delivery on Tuesday but no tracking as it's normal Postal service.

I see that delivery for the space grey has dropped to the end of December and now it's January for the white :eek:

Associate
I see that delivery for the space grey has dropped to the end of December and now it's January for the white :eek:

Just picked one up online (now that they are in stock) from a different online store, glad to see I don't have to wait until Jan for a white model! Should be here within a week.

Soldato
What’re the opinions on two minis in stereo vs a single full-sized HomePod (assuming the latter will come down to £179 again soon)?

I also read some journalistic speculation that Apple will at some point quietly update the original HomePod with the U1 chip, though I’m personally not sure how interesting it is being able to switch speakers by waving a phone near to them.

Commissario
OP
It's arrived! A day earlier than expected. I'm just about to tap it and unwrap it.

/edit - Epic fail, Apple. This is the first product I've ever had with cellophane wrapping on the outside that doesn't have a tab or an edge to pull in order to open it :D

All up and running but I'm busy right now so not had a chance to play with it properly. It's just on Planet Rock right now.

/edit2 - It doesn't come with the latest firmware so that's updating now.

waFz4vG.jpeg

Associate
OcUK don't sell HomePods so you can say where you got it from.

In that case... John Lewis! :)

What’re the opinions on two minis in stereo vs a single full-sized HomePod (assuming the latter will come down to £179 again soon)?

I also read some journalistic speculation that Apple will at some point quietly update the original HomePod with the U1 chip, though I’m personally not sure how interesting it is being able to switch speakers by waving a phone near to them.

But you can already handoff to the HomePod by bringing the phone near. Is that what you mean?

Soldato
But you can already handoff to the HomePod by bringing the phone near. Is that what you mean?

I’d read that the original HomePod lacked the U1 chip and that it was therefore unable to accept phone handoffs. I don’t own the product and am thinking of buying a couple, but don’t want to miss out on some super duper future features enabled by the U1.

Commissario
OP
How is the sound quality compared to the normal Homepod @Feek ?
I have them in two very different situations, my original HomePods are in a stereo pair and are generally played quite loudly. The mini is in my office with the radio on in the background. When I first set it up, I had it quite close to a corner of the room and it was too boomy and bassy but I've moved it further away and it's much better. I'll wind the volume up with some music a bit later but I'm busy at the moment.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
It's arrived! A day earlier than expected. I'm just about to tap it and unwrap it.

/edit - Epic fail, Apple. This is the first product I've ever had with cellophane wrapping on the outside that doesn't have a tab or an edge to pull in order to open it :D
Mine arrived this morning too and I feel your pain regards the cellophane wrapping although was fun opening the outer cardboard box.

Unable to set mine up as my phone's too old (iPhone 6 Plus) so have to do it with the Mrs's phone later. Wondering if any features will work with my phone or will it just be "computer says no" to everything?

Commissario
OP
Mine arrived this morning too and I feel your pain regards the cellophane wrapping although was fun opening the outer cardboard box.
That did make up for it, it felt as though I was tearing around the entire box about three times :D

Bear in mind that once you put the HomePod mini box back together, it's really difficult to open with no weight inside to help it.

Associate
I’d read that the original HomePod lacked the U1 chip and that it was therefore unable to accept phone handoffs. I don’t own the product and am thinking of buying a couple, but don’t want to miss out on some super duper future features enabled by the U1.

In reality, I often find that simply tapping a few steps to airplay to the homepod less effort than actually getting up and walking to the device... even though Handoff exists I am not using it too much.

Soldato
I’ve bought a couple of full sized homepods, currently in a stereo pair in my living room. First impressions vary between underwhelmed and thinking they’re quite good. The quality difference between the homepods and my existing Naim muso-qb is apparent, but the gap is closed by having true stereo.

I’m keeping them, but unsure if I’ll stick with my original plan of getting another two for downstairs.

Soldato
A couple of days in and the Homepods aren't anything that punches above their weight. They're an okay speaker for £200 and nothing more. I can live with that, however one big irritation is when I ask Siri to play some music I get the response "there's nothing in your music library." This is true, since I only ever play music from Apple Music playlists, rather than feeling the need add anything to my library. I don't actually want to maintain or build a library. Is there a way to make Siri choose from Apple Music, e.g. "Siri play a dance play list from Apple Music"? I have tried with no success and it kind of makes the entire "Siri control" completely pointless for me.

Soldato
I just ask it to play what I like. I can also ask it to play a mix of whatever too. Do you have Apple Music ? I think they sound fantastic but then I don’t listen to bass heavy dance music or anything much made after 1990.....

Soldato
I just ask it to play what I like. I can also ask it to play a mix of whatever too. Do you have Apple Music ? I think they sound fantastic but then I don’t listen to bass heavy dance music or anything much made after 1990.....

I do have Apple Music but Siri just wants to play from my (empty) music library. I'm not saying the Homepods sound awful, I was just a little disappointed given the generally rave reviews. It sounds like the vocals and music are coming through a veil.

Soldato
I do have Apple Music but Siri just wants to play from my (empty) music library. I'm not saying the Homepods sound awful, I was just a little disappointed given the generally rave reviews. It sounds like the vocals and music are coming through a veil.

strange I have not set any music library’s I just tell it what to play I.e “Hey Siri play 80’s music” or “Play Goldfinger”... The voices on my pair sound great very clear not sure how you can adjust as there is limited setup. Having them mounted on a wooden surface is meant to help with sound quality other than that no idea....

Back
Top Bottom