Air or cheap aio for 3700x

Soldato
Haven't built the system yet but will be looking to overclock my 3700x.
Is looking at the cooler master ml240l aio a bad idea? Should I be looking at air instead (never had an aio)?

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I use the 360 version of this (for a 3600X) and get idle temps of 26-30c and full load between 55 and 60c

Great cooler.

If that's out of budget then go air and get the Freezer 34 esports duo

Yep, I've got one ready to install on my 5900X (once my CableMod stuff arrives!). I did originally buy the 420mm but it'd mean I'd be losing a rear exhaust fan, and a front intake - decided against it as I didn't want to starve my GPU.

Excellent coolers for the price and miles better than the Asetek/CoolIT ***** that NZXT/Corsair use.

Pet Northerner
Don
Will it handle a clocked 3700x? Been reading lots of reviews and most says for 8 cores that most air coolers are a mediocre?
I only have a 3200G in my NAS but the esposrts keeps that running prime under 50. However I imagine you'd need to add a minimum of 15c to a 3700X for that.

It's probably best to search for a cooler and look for youtube vids on it showing temps. Air coolers can be as good as AIOs, the issue is they are just as expensive (looking at you, noctua).

Associate
Just get the ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO; it's on par with more expensive coolers and gives great performance. AIO will be very similar.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
It's will fit and I have seen it, but the gamers nexus (?) Review put me right off it.. comes with pre applied paste as well and I already have some kryonought stuff so would need to get some cleaner...
Gamers nexus only slated it because it was more expensive than the D15 at $100 and performed slightly worse but at 34 quid vs an £85+ noctua it's a steal.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
It's will fit and I have seen it, but the gamers nexus (?) Review put me right off it.. comes with pre applied paste as well and I already have some kryonought stuff so would need to get some cleaner...

The pre-applied paste is good. It's dow-corning or Shin-etsu. Zero reason to repaste.

Soldato
OP
Gamers nexus only slated it because it was more expensive than the D15 at $100 and performed slightly worse but at 34 quid vs an £85+ noctua it's a steal.

Just watched the Canucks review as well, he doesn't rate it for overclocks and it failed the OC test... Yet others put it closer to the d15:confused::confused::confused:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Canucks don't do performance testing well. Stick to the GN review, if Steve likes it it's probably good.

Soldato
Arctic Freezer 34 is just another 4x direct contact heatpipe cooler. Lots of them out there in the £25-40 range.

Scythe Mugen 5 cools much better and be quieter too. Several models to choose from, even RGB if you want it. Only one I wouldn't get unless I had a better fan is PCGH Edition because it's fans are only 800rpm models. Fast enough most of the time, but I like having some extra airflow available if needed.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Keep in mind air coolers can only perform well if case has good airflow. Coolers need air at or near room ambient. Not stock case fans are garbage, and cases that come with decent fans don't have them in best locations. For most cases (towers) the best setup is 2-3 front intakes and block all openings not covered by those intake fans in mounting panel so air they are pushing into motherboard compartment has to flow on through case, not circle in front again and go in circles. Removing all unused PCie rear slot covers increases rear vent area around GPU for better airflow lower air temp entering GPU thus lower temps and noise levels. No exhaust fans are needed.
You might find link below to basic guilde of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Hope this helped.

Soldato
OP
Canucks don't do performance testing well. Stick to the GN review, if Steve likes it it's probably good.

They did lap it and get better results though.
I can't decide now! I like the idea of the a500 as it's massive but will it out do the eSports duo

Edit - just checked my case specs...one picture says 170mm cpu cooler height and then another says 156mm cooler height and that's in the manufactures website:confused:

Double edit - ocuk description says 175mm??!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom