Airflow advice for AIO & 5950x

Associate
OP
I would not agree.
The higher CFM will just overload the lower fan and force it to work harder than it's meant to, while the lower CFM fan will introduce resistance against the higher fan and in turn make it work harder than it's supposed to.
This is why you need the same fans both sides. It's not just about setting RPM, as you need the same static pressure and airflow values, as well as flow characteristics. Otherwise they're just fighting against each other. At best, it is inefficient and you get all sorts of weird airflow interactions and annoying noises, and at worst you might damage your fans.

For example, if you have a fan with a wider airflow spread pushing in, that will slow the air and the pull fan will have to work harder than it's designed for, which could result in damage. Similarly, if you have too narrow a spread coming in, the airflow will batter off the pull fan, before creating a compression stall, and then batter back against the push fan, which is even more likely to damage them. In extreme cases this could blow the bearing and spray fluid over your components, or potentially snap some fan blades off and fling those around inside your case.

Thanks, that's useful. I'll order a couple of extra Arctics so the rad has the same gear on both sides before I start on the profiles - can just move the fractal prismas' to case exhaust duty.

Soldato
Your opening layout has too many intakes for the exhaust vent area. Case an only flow as the smaller of the 2; intake vs exhaust venting.

Many have found CLC rad in top as exhaust, fill front (& maybe bottom intake as well)2-3x front intake fans, remove unused PCIe slot covers to increase rear venting around GPU (for better intake airflow so cooler air into GPU, so lower temps, so lower fan speed is need, so less noise.) Block any openings not covered by front and bottom fans in their mounting panels so the air they push into case has to flow through case, not loop around to intake side of fan and go in circles. Use good pressure rated fans, like 1.5mm h2O @ 1500rpm or higher. More is better because this pressure differential between intake and exhaust sides of fan is what determines fan's ability to move air through grill and filter. Set case fan curves so they cycle like cooler and rad fan so they are always supplying a little more air into case and to components than components are using. This keeps component heated exhaust moving toward and out of case so it doesn't mix with / warm up cool air going to components. Every degree warmer the air is entering cooler becomes same degrees hotter component will be at same load and fan speed. I use a cheap digital indoor/outdoor wired remote sensor thermometer like shows in link below to monitor air temp entering component. They can be found on bay and river sites. ;)

You might find link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest. It shows one of the remote senor thermometers I use as well as explains thing in more detail.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Last edited:
Associate
For what it's worth, I'm running a 5600x like this with the AIO set to 35% until 50c+. It only just goes above 50c in games. Corsair 4000X, 3x120mm intakes, Arctic LFII 280 exhausting, and an old Be Quiet fan on rear exhaust tied to GPU temp

Associate
OP
For what it's worth, I'm running a 5600x like this with the AIO set to 35% until 50c+. It only just goes above 50c in games. Corsair 4000X, 3x120mm intakes, Arctic LFII 280 exhausting, and an old Be Quiet fan on rear exhaust tied to GPU temp

I really like the white & black, looks great imo :)

Associate
OP
OK, Arctic P14's arrived - these work well with the Fractal AIO, can daisy chain the PWM connectors on the fans and attach that to the PWM hub at the bottom of the AIO

In the areas I've circles here, is it worth closing off with something before I put the dust filter back on?

Tca5Iiu.jpg

Previous Fractal case I had allowed you to open the top in segments, the Define 7 has a full replacement top so 66% of it will be just grill with a dust filter behind.

I can just use black electrical tape for the rear gap underneath the push fans, if it's even worth it.

Associate
OP
You might find link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest. It shows one of the remote senor thermometers I use as well as explains thing in more detail.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Thanks, the x570 Aorus Master comes with 2x temperature probes and 1x dB noise sensor.

I'll probably fix one temp probe to the GPU card somewhere, back plate under GPU maybe?

Not sue where to put the second temperature probe at the moment, maybe a good spot for this would be somewhere in the upper plenum to gauge air temp just before exhaust?

Soldato
I would leave top vent open as it's filtered. I would block all of opening below radiator so dusty air can't leak in / heated air from rad leak around to go in circles through rad. A bottom intake fan might help supply GPU with more cool air. With bottom intake block any openings in bottom not covered by fan/s. Stock Dynamic X2 GP-14 case fans are almost worthless. They only make 0.71mm H2O static pressure at full speed (1000rpm). Good fans make similar at about 700-800rpm and about 1.3-1.5mm H2O at full speed (1300-1500rpm) .. so don't expect stock fans to do much, but okay as exhaust because they won't be worse than no exhaust fan, just a little louder.. ;)

Soldato
Dust filter covering top exhaust - hmm what is it filtering? Where are the dust going to be collected inside or outside of my case? Do I want dust being trap inside my pc? Hmm...why do these pesky case maker put magnetic dust filters on exhaust outlets? What on earth are they playing at???

LoL. Soon as someone sees a dust filter...no question asked - it is to filter dust clearly - NOT.

Back
Top Bottom