"Pay as you drive"

Associate
It would make sense if public transport was much much better and cheaper.

We both work approximately 2-3 miles away from our house, in opposite directions.

I have to take 3 separate buses for 2 companies, so pay for 2 different tickets. And still walk approximately 10 minutes.

Versus, get in my car, drive for 7 minutes and park outside the door.

My missus has to either take 2 buses (same company though) and walk 5 minutes for a total journey time of 35 minutes (waiting for second bus), or take 1 bus and walk 10 minutes, for a total journey time of 30 minutes.

Versus, get in her car and drive for 5 minutes and park outside the door.

This doesn't even take into account the amount of times the buses might be slightly late, so if you rely on two+ buses, you might miss the second!

So, we could take public transport and pay more money, waste more time, and probably get wet, but instead we have 2 cars.

Edit: I should also note, we live approximately a 15 minute walk from a city centre, so it's not like we are out in the sticks.

Soldato
It would make sense if public transport was much much better and cheaper.

We both work approximately 2-3 miles away from our house, in opposite directions.

I have to take 3 separate buses for 2 companies, so pay for 2 different tickets. And still walk approximately 10 minutes.

Versus, get in my car, drive for 7 minutes and park outside the door.

My missus has to either take 2 buses (same company though) and walk 5 minutes for a total journey time of 35 minutes (waiting for second bus), or take 1 bus and walk 10 minutes, for a total journey time of 30 minutes.

Versus, get in her car and drive for 5 minutes and park outside the door.

This doesn't even take into account the amount of times the buses might be slightly late, so if you rely on two+ buses, you might miss the second!

So, we could take public transport and pay more money, waste more time, and probably get wet, but instead we have 2 cars.

Edit: I should also note, we live approximately a 15 minute walk from a city centre, so it's not like we are out in the sticks.
I guess in your case, the logic would be that cycling or walking might be a realistic alternative, rather than public transport (a 7 and 5 minute drive are, I'm guessing, around 2-5 miles)

Associate
I guess in your case, the logic would be that cycling or walking might be a realistic alternative, rather than public transport (a 7 and 5 minute drive are, I'm guessing, around 2-5 miles)

Missus would take approximately 30 minutes to walk it, so no chance of her doing that, especially in rain/wind/cold.

Mine would take approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour (all uphill going to work). So again, no chance doing that plus it would mean I'm not at home for an extra 1 hour and a half.

Cycling would take me around 25 minutes but would mean I arrive sweaty, which is not something I'm keen on, or if I want to use the facilities (3 showers I think for 1,000 people), would have to go in earlier and be ready to clock-in.

A bus would be ideal, but like I said, works out more expensive, still run the risk of getting wet and/or being late and the inconvenience/lost time don't help either.

Edit: Plus we already need a minimum of 1 cars to get to the airport/friends/visit other places, so I'm already paying for one anyway. So the additional cost is for the 2nd car (which we could do without, but wanted a sports car).

Associate
Terrible idea, and one I doubt they’ll ever actually implement. Punitive and unfair for people who commute long distances. Unnecessary too. Fuel duty losses will be offset by domestic energy increases due to home charging. They should cut spending to cover any gap. Public spending is far too high already.

Soldato
If they drop road tax (or whatever its called) and done this, it could work well for most. But they won't.

I'd rather just keep paying road tax as its a fixed fee.

If we go pay per mile it limits peoples freedom massively. We wont be able to just jump in the car and go anywhere in the country for the cost of a tank of petrol anymore. Every option will be mega expensive. Keeps the poor confined to their area I guess....

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure with the introduction of smart meters and home chargers etc. the longer term end game is to be able to tax your electricity on a segregated basis for house vs car charger, to effectively replace the tax on fuel.

Those using loads of electricity because they drive 20,000 miles per year will pay more, just as they pay more fuel duty now. They can choose offset this by buying the most efficient vehicles available to them, just as they can now.

Soldato
If they cut the fuel duty and road tax and replace it with a normal rate of say x/p per mile then yes it could work. People driving more would pay more but the numbers of £1.50/mile are absolutely insane. It'd cost me 20 quid to drive to the shops lol.

Soldato
Such a grim idea. Inevitable though, government were always going to come back to gobble this lost tax £££s once they made electric cars cheap to tax and “fuel”.

A similar scenario to how diesel owners have found themselves in really.

Soldato
Missus would take approximately 30 minutes to walk it, so no chance of her doing that, especially in rain/wind/cold.

Mine would take approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour (all uphill going to work). So again, no chance doing that plus it would mean I'm not at home for an extra 1 hour and a half.

Cycling would take me around 25 minutes but would mean I arrive sweaty, which is not something I'm keen on, or if I want to use the facilities (3 showers I think for 1,000 people), would have to go in earlier and be ready to clock-in.

A bus would be ideal, but like I said, works out more expensive, still run the risk of getting wet and/or being late and the inconvenience/lost time don't help either.

Edit: Plus we already need a minimum of 1 cars to get to the airport/friends/visit other places, so I'm already paying for one anyway. So the additional cost is for the 2nd car (which we could do without, but wanted a sports car).

Electric bike. She drives the sports car for work during the week you get the bike. Then the SC at the weekend.

Soldato
I'd rather just keep paying road tax as its a fixed fee.

If we go pay per mile it limits peoples freedom massively. We wont be able to just jump in the car and go anywhere in the country for the cost of a tank of petrol anymore. Every option will be mega expensive. Keeps the poor confined to their area I guess....
Do you mean reintroduce road tax, it hasn't existed for years?

Soldato
£40B lost in tax plus the money the govt will be throwing around in incentives to achieve the highly suspect EV promise in the first place.

Looks like the tax protection for EV to bait people into adoption will be binned one way or another.

Soldato
This country always seems to adopt the stick over carrot strategy when it wants to encourage or change behaviour.

I cover roughly 3000 miles a year and already feel I’m being overly taxed to do that. I love driving (not commuting) but with EV and pay as you drive, I can see the enjoyment rapidly diminishing.

Soldato
Pay per mile is a great idea. Make it cost the same as fuel duty would cost on a reasonable average MPG (I think I worked it out at ~5p/mile), and I don't see an issue with it - i.e. cost neutral for most people.

However £1.50/mile can **** right off. It would cost me ~£800/month just to get to work and back. I'd almost be better off quitting my job in software development and working as a shelf-stacker in the local supermarket.

In fact, coupled with the cost of childcare, I'd be better off just quitting work altogether to be a stay at home parent!

Associate
Electric bike. She drives the sports car for work during the week you get the bike. Then the SC at the weekend.

Electric bike with some sort of roof, and perhaps a windshield to stop me getting wet.... something with wheels, a motor of some sort, and a surrounding structure....A car? :p:p:p

Back
Top Bottom