• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
Maybe i am misunderstanding your post but without a new interface i don't think external drives will ever be fast enough to run PS5 games.
Also you can buy NVME drives for the PS5 admittedly they are not available yet and will be expensive at first but as it is with new tech the price will come down.
I am actually surprised at how well SSD prices have held their price. The technology has progressed, and drives now are faster, but on £ per TB it hasn't really moved too much - I bought a 1tb Crucial SSD for £120 about 8 years ago, and a similar equivalent today isn't much cheaper.
I remember there was extensive flooding in Taiwan in 2011 and 2012, and that was blamed for HDD and SSD prices being so high, but it feels like the pricing has never recovered.......probably as they've realised people will still pay the high prices!

Associate
Maybe i am misunderstanding your post but without a new interface i don't think external drives will ever be fast enough to run PS5 games.
Also you can buy NVME drives for the PS5 admittedly they are not available yet and will be expensive at first but as it is with new tech the price will come down.

After doing some research I think Sony will have to release firmware update to expand the storage for ps5 games. Good article on storage here:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....works-and-what-you-need-to-know?client=safari

Soldato
Soldato
Wasn't there talk about being able to download/install PS5 games to an external drive (platter) then you can copy it in whole or chunks from the HDD to the internal SSD at will? While its not going to be as fast as playing an installed game directly from the HDD it would be a heck of a lot quicker than uninstalling/reinstalling or downloading.

Soldato
Wasn't there talk about being able to download/install PS5 games to an external drive (platter) then you can copy it in whole or chunks from the HDD to the internal SSD at will? While its not going to be as fast as playing an installed game directly from the HDD it would be a heck of a lot quicker than uninstalling/reinstalling or downloading.

From a long term point of view, that would definately make the most sense.

Soldato
The three things people are suggesting (and I'm convinced it is Rest Mode over everything else).

1. Disable Rest mode. Or, if you are going to use it, don't actually let it rest with a game running.
2. Don't do a PS4 to PS5 data transfer
3. Do not use an external drive.

Nobody who has avoided the three above, but has then used the wired LAN has then reported an issue. Using wired alone isn't going to cause any problems.
*Edit* - Shouldn't.
Everyone's choice, personally I will be running wired - the thought of downloading games/patches on WiFi makes me cry!
What's been said about the data transfer ?

Soldato
These sizes are much better. This was more to what I was expecting until I looked on back of the COD box.

Yeah none of the games seem overly bad in terms of install size other than call of duty which is borderline ridiculous. Especially when you factor in the separate warzone mode!

Was considering buying an external SSD but I think I might wait a few months to see what kind of price compatible M2 drives are selling for.

Soldato
The COD total install size is ridiculous. There are a lot off add-ons I suppose but I've never seen a game size that big before. **** buying that digitally!
Cold war is around 130GB with everything installed.

Not sure why it says that much on the back of the box - Though, with warzone it would be around that.

Back
Top Bottom