House builders still using Cat 5?

Associate
I'm in the process of buying a new house and they have agreed to add an ethernet connection between the location of the master socket (fibre connection) and a room which I'll be using as an office / gaming room. The problem is that they say they are using Cat 5 which baffles me considering that was superseded by Cat 5e around 20 years ago.

I've asked if they meant Cat 5e and they still said it's Cat 5. Has anyone heard of Cat 5 cables still being used these days? :confused:

Associate
OP
I know some of the installers. :) Maybe it depends on area?

Why don't you ask if they can use a certain type of cable? or ask them what they will be using?
Cool, I thought you'd have to know someone doing the work to have that information :). This is around Leeds.
I've told them I'd prefer Cat 6 or 7, but Cat 5e is a bare minimum that I'd accept, and also said I'll pay any extra cost.

Caporegime
It's very unlikely they are actually using Cat5, I'm not even sure you can buy it still. It will just be electricians using a shorthand word to describe network cable.

Soldato
And there's nothing really wrong with Cat5e. It'll definitely support 2.5GbE and 5GbE, and will probably do 10GbE at the short distances you tend to have domestically. What more do you need?

Any talk of Cat7 and above is just daft (and usually the result of reading too many BS Amazon listings). There's absolutely no need for anything beyond Cat6a even in the most extreme domestic circumstances.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice. I thought I might as well upgrade to the best cable if it's a reasonable price considering it's going to be permanently installed in the house. Cat 7 may be overkill now but maybe not in 10 or 20 years.

Soldato
There's a reason that Cat5e is still so prevalent.

Domestically Cat7 doesn't offer any over Cat6a. We're still not near to 10GbE becoming cheap or common. Worrying about anything faster than that is pointless.

Man of Honour
It's almost certainly not Cat 5, it hasn't been common for a very long time and as said above, it isn't easy to even buy it as far as I'm aware.

See this thread where someone asked about - and subsequently successfully implemented - 10GBE over Cat5e (which I'm sure will be the minimum they've used). https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/10gbe-over-cat5e.18820298/

If you're thinking of running 10GBE over copper then you are an extreme edge case and are already paying through the nose when you should really just run fibre.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I thought I might as well upgrade to the best cable if it's a reasonable price considering it's going to be permanently installed in the house. Cat 7 may be overkill now but maybe not in 10 or 20 years.

It’s a single feed over a short distance in a domestic install, if you are concerned about longevity, focus on it being properly ducted/pull corded rather than the cable type.

Associate
So I recently purchased a new build that around 2 years old and there's phone sockets in every room. After opening up one of the socket, I noticed they're using cat5e cables. Hope that helps. :)

Associate
OP
It’s a single feed over a short distance in a domestic install, if you are concerned about longevity, focus on it being properly ducted/pull corded rather than the cable type.
I don't think I have any control over how they do things like that, I just hope they install it correctly.

So I recently purchased a new build that around 2 years old and there's phone sockets in every room. After opening up one of the socket, I noticed they're using cat5e cables. Hope that helps. :)
Are those phone sockets as in landline phone? I thought that was a different kind of connection to ethernet.

Associate
I don't think I have any control over how they do things like that, I just hope they install it correctly.

Are those phone sockets as in landline phone? I thought that was a different kind of connection to ethernet.

Yup, they're currently landline phones but from what I understand and seen in the loft, there's cat5e running through and builders have been doing this for a while now. I have FTTP so won't be needing a traditional landline.

I have a photo from one of the sockets. see below mate.

socket.jpg[img]

Soldato
And there's nothing really wrong with Cat5e. It'll definitely support 2.5GbE and 5GbE, and will probably do 10GbE at the short distances you tend to have domestically. What more do you need?

Any talk of Cat7 and above is just daft (and usually the result of reading too many BS Amazon listings). There's absolutely no need for anything beyond Cat6a even in the most extreme domestic circumstances.
Because you only want to do it once so why not use cat6, who knows what speeds people will want in 20 years time.
I already want higher than gigabit bit it's too expensive for the hardware at the minute.

Soldato
Yup, they're currently landline phones but from what I understand and seen in the loft, there's cat5e running through and builders have been doing this for a while now. I have FTTP so won't be needing a traditional landline.

I have a photo from one of the sockets. see below mate.

socket.jpg[img]
Oh my that's a joke.

Caporegime
You can tell it's an electrician because they strip all the insulation back to just before the edge of the box.

Back
Top Bottom