Air or cheap aio for 3700x

Soldato
OP
I've literally just ordered the a500, going by ocuks specs it should fit but if not then it'll have to go back and I'll give either the freezer or one of the scythes a go I think

Soldato
While is huge compared to stock coolers, it's not really that big when compared to many out there. :D
It's 144x169x171mm w/ fans, 137x169x103 w/o fans.
NH-D15 is 164x150x161 w/ fans, 160x150x135mm w/o fans.
Le Grand Macho RT is 150x151x159mm w/ fan, 160x124.5x159mm w/o fan.
NoFan CR-95C looks like a basket 180mm diameter x 148mm tall.

Please let us know it mounts up and performs.

Soldato
OP
I can't tell you either unfortunately.
Ocuk state my case has a cpu height clearance of 175mm but with this fitted, Its not possible to put them side window of the case back on....and apparently that's my fault and I have to pay to return it as I didn't allow for the cpu height in their measurements??!

Associate
Ocuk state my case has a cpu height clearance of 175mm but with this fitted, Its not possible to put them side window of the case back on....and apparently that's my fault and I have to pay to return it as I didn't allow for the cpu height in their measurements??!

That sucks. Must be close. Is it just the fans? You might be able to move them down a little.

And yes if you bought both from them and the specs say it should fit definitely complain. They miss sold you at least one of those items. At the very least you should get a swap on another one.

Soldato
OP
That sucks. Must be close. Is it just the fans? You might be able to move them down a little.

And yes if you bought both from them and the specs say it should fit definitely complain. They miss sold you at least one of those items. At the very least you should get a swap on another one.
The reply I got was
"
Checking our website i can see that it says 175mm and the cpu cooler is listed as 170mm, but you'd need to account for the depth of the cpu the cooler sits on which may push the two very close to 175mm, causing it not to fit, but the information is correct our end.

please get the item back to us when you can. "

Soldato
No, case CPU clearance specification is from top of CPU, so if case spec says 175mm CPU clearance and cooler is 170mm tall cooler should fit with 5mm to spare. Usually when people have clearance problems it's because RAM is too tall for fan to fit between top of RAM and case or cooler fins overlap with x16 PCIe socket

Soldato
OP
Ocuk customer service flat out refusing to pay for the return and didn't even bother with a reply to my last message, just resent the RMA request staying unwanted goods!! Absolutely gob smacked

Permabanned
Personally I don't like AIO's. To much risk of a leak or a pump failure. They also slowly decline in performance over time. You can just about match the performance of an AIO with a top quality air cooler. Lets face it, graphics cards manage it and they have significantly higher heat output than your average CPU. AIO's are good for companies because there is less chance they will be shaken loose in transport but for a home build I think air is better. I think AIO are mostly popular for bling purposes! I spent many years using them but after a series of costly failures I went back to air.

Last edited:
Soldato

What case have you actually got?

Noticed on your previous threads you seem to have a Zalman i3 case. The specs on OCUK does say only 156mm clearance for CPU coolers.

Have they changed the specs since?

The Zalman X3 has 175mm clearance.

Soldato
OP
What case have you actually got?

Noticed on your previous threads you seem to have a Zalman i3 case. The specs on OCUK does say only 156mm clearance for CPU coolers.

Have they changed the specs since?

The Zalman X3 has 175mm clearance.

Yes they have now changed it, and then someone from customer services tried to tell me it hadn't been changed and that size was correct until I sent them a screenshot of it and the conversation I had already had with someone else! Incredibly poor customer service.

Got a scythe mugen 5 rev b now, fits lovely

Soldato
Shame about the bad CS experience.

Only had dealings through the CS section of these forums and has been very good.

At least you have ended up with a cooler that fits your case. Did they cover return postage in the end?

Soldato
OP
Shame about the bad CS experience.

Only had dealings through the CS section of these forums and has been very good.

At least you have ended up with a cooler that fits your case. Did they cover return postage in the end?

They have now yes, after telling me it was fault and then basically calling me a liar..

Back
Top Bottom