** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
After a bit of experimentation I’ve managed to get gsync working with hdr on any game. It comes down to the GeForce control panels colour settings. I found that by switching from “defaults” to nvidias settings (stuck with rgb full) then gsync works fine now. Admittedly I haven’t tried power cycling the pc/monitor yet but fingers crossed that was my issue. Wonder if this is some driver issue or a limitation of the 1080ti bandwidth or something. And popping sounds stopped after a bit as one of the other posters said.

Did the popping stop altogether (forever) or does it stop after the G9 has warmed up?

Associate
This is getting so depressing. My 3rd attempt at getting a good G9 has sadly failed.

The first one (N6) had bezel bleed, moderate popping noises as it heated up and a noticable fade to gray for around 1cm along the full width of the display along the bottom. On the plus side, it didn't have the scan line issue, it had no dead pixels and didn't have any flickering issues (except the odd rare flicker on loading screens).

The second one (N8) had horrendous flicker issues (including flickering between cooler and warmer colours), the horizontal scan line issue and dead pixels.

The third one (N9) that just arrived a couple of days ago is also has annoying issues. On the plus side, it doesn't have flickering or dead pixels, however it does have:

1) backlight bleed issues making it seems washed out in darker areas when in HDR mode which is saddening when viewing darker scenes with brighter highlights in particular portions of the screen. Neither the N6 nor N8 had that problem, at least not noticeably (especially not the N8, it was definitely better than the N6 or N9 when it comes to blacks in HDR mode).
2) Bad case of scan lines - I've seen it occur in games, but more frustratingly, the scan lines appear with my normal desktop background, or if I load certain pages that I use like the Spotify web player. The N6 didn't suffer from this at all and the N8 suffered from it, but only when running the UFO inversion uniformity test page (or the asus rog wallpaper website). Perhaps it did happen in games on the N8, but I didn't notice it, because it didn't have the next issue...
3) Coil whine noise whenever the scan line issue occur's. (Neither the N6 nor N8 had this)
4) The fade to grey at the bottom (about the same amount as the N6 one that I had)

Of all the list above, the thing that gets me the most is the scan line issue, if that could be fixed, then I'd probably be happy to keep it.

This is so depressing - I love the G9, it has so many great qualities and is the perfect monitor for me on paper. So don't want to say this, but I really don't know whether or not to try again or just give up. :(

Associate
After a bit of experimentation I’ve managed to get gsync working with hdr on any game. It comes down to the GeForce control panels colour settings. I found that by switching from “defaults” to nvidias settings (stuck with rgb full) then gsync works fine now. Admittedly I haven’t tried power cycling the pc/monitor yet but fingers crossed that was my issue. Wonder if this is some driver issue or a limitation of the 1080ti bandwidth or something. And popping sounds stopped after a bit as one of the other posters said.

Did you have to turn on HDR in the Windows 10 Display Settings for a game to recognise HDR, or, was Windows 10 HDR turned off and you still got the HDR option in game?

Associate
This is getting so depressing. My 3rd attempt at getting a good G9 has sadly failed.

The first one (N6) had bezel bleed, moderate popping noises as it heated up and a noticable fade to gray for around 1cm along the full width of the display along the bottom. On the plus side, it didn't have the scan line issue, it had no dead pixels and didn't have any flickering issues (except the odd rare flicker on loading screens).

The second one (N8) had horrendous flicker issues (including flickering between cooler and warmer colours), the horizontal scan line issue and dead pixels.

The third one (N9) that just arrived a couple of days ago is also has annoying issues. On the plus side, it doesn't have flickering or dead pixels, however it does have:

1) backlight bleed issues making it seems washed out in darker areas when in HDR mode which is saddening when viewing darker scenes with brighter highlights in particular portions of the screen. Neither the N6 nor N8 had that problem, at least not noticeably (especially not the N8, it was definitely better than the N6 or N9 when it comes to blacks in HDR mode).
2) Bad case of scan lines - I've seen it occur in games, but more frustratingly, the scan lines appear with my normal desktop background, or if I load certain pages that I use like the Spotify web player. The N6 didn't suffer from this at all and the N8 suffered from it, but only when running the UFO inversion uniformity test page (or the asus rog wallpaper website). Perhaps it did happen in games on the N8, but I didn't notice it, because it didn't have the next issue...
3) Coil whine noise whenever the scan line issue occur's. (Neither the N6 nor N8 had this)
4) The fade to grey at the bottom (about the same amount as the N6 one that I had)

Of all the list above, the thing that gets me the most is the scan line issue, if that could be fixed, then I'd probably be happy to keep it.

This is so depressing - I love the G9, it has so many great qualities and is the perfect monitor for me on paper. So don't want to say this, but I really don't know whether or not to try again or just give up. :(

I feel your pain. I only got a good screen on the 3rd attempt but one thing is for sure, it is absolutely superb when you get a good one. As much as it is a ball ache, keep sending them back until you are happy.

Associate
This may be a daft question, but, is the physical Nvidia G-Sync sticker removable on the G9? Its the sticker on the bottom left. Have you guys removed this sticker? I've had a quick go with my fingernail but it didnt immediately come off and I don't want to scratch the bezel...

Associate
This may be a daft question, but, is the physical Nvidia G-Sync sticker removable on the G9? Its the sticker on the bottom left. Have you guys removed this sticker? I've had a quick go with my fingernail but it didnt immediately come off and I don't want to scratch the bezel...
Hmm, it's definitely stuck on well. On the one hand it's on the surface and not recessed which would suggest that it's removeable. On the other hand, it is definitely stuck on there very well. At a guess I'd say it's removeable, but I don't want to try removing it, given that I'm sending this one back.

Associate

can you provide some photos regarding the scan line issue?

Associate
Iv been really close to ordering this thing and still am, but getting really put off by all the bad experiences people have had, I currently have the acer pred x34, lovely monitor had it for maybe 3-4 yrs, was looking at the LG 34GN850 and then the samsung came into the picture, dunno what to do, any advice would be appreciated, used primarily for gaming

Associate
Iv been really close to ordering this thing and still am, but getting really put off by all the bad experiences people have had, I currently have the acer pred x34, lovely monitor had it for maybe 3-4 yrs, was looking at the LG 34GN850 and then the samsung came into the picture, dunno what to do, any advice would be appreciated, used primarily for gaming
If you can get a good one, then it is an outstanding monitor.

Associate
Mine is an N8, no popping sounds at all. I do have horizontal scan lines, which are mainly visible across browser tabs. They don't bother me though as I just use my monitor for sim racing.

Associate
Yeah, it's really hard to capture with a phone camera, but see this link. The left hand side image is what it normally looks like, the right hand image shows the horizontal scan lines.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wwVeFWWvviQnPpU28
That’s pretty clear (and surely quite serious), thx.

From the nature of the problem, I would believe that all units should have the same problem. It seems strange that your previous unit(s) didn’t have it (at least in the same extend).

May I also ask?

1. Does this happen @ 240 Hz only? I read that it is OK @ 120 Hz.

2. Does it happen «on the fly»? I mean, when you have some tabs one in Chrome for example, could it be OK and then when you open a new tab with Spotify web player the scan line issue suddenly appears at all screen area?

3. Is it really noticeable in games?

thx again for the info

Associate

I am in almost the exact same position. My X34P is flawless, but I have a real urge to get a G9 - 130+ pages of discussion on issues is kinda offputting though!

I actually found somewhere selling "refurbed" G9's for a sizeable saving, but that's likely an even bigger crap shoot than buying new?

really Torn with this, the X34P has to go to make up the money, so if i end up with a crapper ill have to resort to using a 4k Tv to work on for a while.... Wish we could accurately gauge just what percentage of models have issues!

Back
Top Bottom