LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
New LG firmware maybe coming soon or before Xmas

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...-no-price-talk.3119288/page-712#post-60247520
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...-no-price-talk.3119288/page-712#post-60247768

This maybe the one that fixes the floating blacks, near black noise, macro blocking and maybe the one that also improves the picture quality with luck.
Thanks, I hope they can raise the black levels in SDR then I don't have to play games in HDR to burn my eye out

Associate
I am trying to find a desktop tv stand with two features:
1. It will allow the tv to be mounted low (4.5 cm or under 2" is perfect).
2. Needs no clearance behind the tv, so as to place the tv as far back against the wall as possible.

any ideas?
The LG CX OLED TV might be call Thin but only haft of it is, the bottom haft is about 2inch thick at the back of the TV so not possible to make it complete flat at the wall, plus you need a gap for cables and no TV stand will give you that so you need to wall mount it

Last edited:
Soldato
This TV looks incredible and I'd love to have one for my gaming/TV/PC setup. But 48" is just too big for my desk/setup/room etc, I can't convince my brain that everything will be fine and that I'll get used to it.

What are the chances within the next, say, 3 years there will be a 40" or below OLED with the same capabilities as the CX?

Associate
Too big to have on a desk monitor arm then I guess as my desk is only about 80cm deep.

What too big! -big is something like a 65/77inch the CX 55 is normal size the 48 is first small size in an OLED TV:) I have only a 73cm deep desk but I got a small moving table in front of it for my keyboard and mouse

Last edited:
Associate
This TV looks incredible and I'd love to have one for my gaming/TV/PC setup. But 48" is just too big for my desk/setup/room etc, I can't convince my brain that everything will be fine and that I'll get used to it.

What are the chances within the next, say, 3 years, there will be a 40" or below OLED with the same capabilities as the CX?

NO, the only size is 48 in OLED TV in glass panel cutting

Associate
OLED have poor white uniformity. One side will be blue while the other is orange.
This is separate to the off centre blue tinge OLEDs suffer from.
Combined, these issues make viewing content with white backgrounds most unpleasant.
It’s not something you can fix.

LED also have a poor problem with back light bleed so no TV is that prefect

Soldato
What too big! -big is something like a 65/77inch the CX 55 is normal size the 48 is first small size in an OLED TV:) I have only a 73cm deep desk but I got a small moving table in front of it for my keyboard and mouse

If it were just a TV / games screen then 55" would be fine but it seems too big for a monitor to me. So if you're using yours at a desk presumably also for general computing do you find you get burn in marks all the time?

Soldato
LED also have a poor problem with back light bleed so no TV is that prefect

Yes, OLED really isn't ideal as a desktop monitor, irrespective of size, given this issue, and also text reproduction which isn't great. Add to that a glossy screen, and you're not going to find it a pleasant experience in MS Word or working on spreadsheets. IPS is a far better choice if this is the use case. OLED is King for gaming and movies/TV content, but for anything else, I'd stick with LCD and IPS. As with most things, there is no perfect one-size-fits-all amazing solution for everything.

Associate
If it were just a TV / games screen then 55" would be fine but it seems too big for a monitor to me. So if you're using yours at a desk presumably also for general computing do you find you get burn in marks all the time?

I understand, then use a two monitor setup and go for the 55/48 for just for games

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, OLED really isn't ideal as a desktop monitor, irrespective of size, given this issue, and also text reproduction which isn't great. Add to that a glossy screen, and you're not going to find it a pleasant experience in MS Word or working on spreadsheets. IPS is a far better choice if this is the use case. OLED is King for gaming and movies/TV content, but for anything else, I'd stick with LCD and IPS. As with most things, there is no perfect one-size-fits-all amazing solution for everything.

I have only one OLED TV and use it for games & monitor I read text and write on my MS word with no problem so don't make out the LCD/IPS is better maybe for you but not for everyone who uses the CX on this thread

There are always three debates when using an OLED - text reproduction, glossy screen, Burn-in, and there is always going to be two opposite sides in the argument then you have the Trolls and fanboys in the mix.

Last edited:
Associate
I was just watching a video on YouTube of a guy who is proposing we spend an additional $300 just on calibration equipment. Has anyone tried the RTINGS icc profiles? Are they good?, or do we need to spend more money on getting this tv professionally calibrated?
Second question: The firmware updates are not performed online right? We have to manually do these with a thumb drive right? I assume they are readily downloadable on the lg website? Or do we have to go on a wild goose chase just to find these?

Associate

I'll be honest, I just spent an entire 10 hour work day using mostly Excel with a fair amount of Word and Outlook too. It was absolutely fantastic, thanks to the increased 4K real estate and screen size. And I'm not a fanboy I promise, I've been using an AW3420DW IPS ultrawide for the last year and only got my OLED last week Friday (4 days of use). The OLED beats my ultrawide in every category hands down.

Second question: The firmware updates are not performed online right? We have to manually do these with a thumb drive right? I assume they are readily downloadable on the lg website? Or do we have to go on a wild goose chase just to find these?

I just do my firmware updates through the TV, it's connected to my wifi so dunno why you'd wanna mess around with thumb drives. Just as simple as pressing "check for updates" and clicking yes lol.

Associate
Darn. Most of these desktop tv stands do not slide up or down? You have to unbolt them and change height? How stupid is this? Why do monitors slide up and down and not tv's? Am I missing something?

Associate
Got a 55” cx 5 on way this week. Could not resist the discounts over the weekend.

I have been using a 55” LG bx for past 18 months for pc use and it been great. No screen burn at all and I have a fair few 8 hour sessions, had use pixel refresher a few times and that was it.

Can’t wait for for this new model with g-sync and 120hz.

Soldato
I have only one OLED TV and use it for games & monitor I read text and write on my MS word with no problem so don't make out the LCD/IPS is better maybe for you but not for everyone who uses the CX on this thread

There are always three debates when using an OLED - text reproduction, glossy screen, Burn-in, and there is always going to be two opposite sides in the argument then you have the Trolls and fanboys in the mix.

Of course you can do it, but it isn't always optimal. Lots of factors come into play. I do notice some white uniformity issues on mine, which I never notice on anything else other than if I use a programme such as MS Word or anything with a large plain section of colour. So I really don't like to use it for things like this as I just can't not see it. I don't know if EVERY single OLED exhibits this, but I've seen quite a few comments that indicate many do. That said, I've yet to see a flawless panel in any TV or LCD, but personally, especially with the size, I find 32" 4K optimal for my use case. LCD and IPS has its own issues of course, nothing is perfect. For gaming or visual content, especially HDR, OLED obviously destroys LCD though.

Associate
OLED have poor white uniformity. One side will be blue while the other is orange.
This is separate to the off centre blue tinge OLEDs suffer from.
Combined, these issues make viewing content with white backgrounds most unpleasant.
It’s not something you can fix.

My LG CX 48 has good white uniformity to my eyes. Not a single hint of orange or blue on the sides. The sides look perfect white to me. The centre is a little darker, but no actual content looks in any way wrong. I never have an all white screen.

Associate
Of course you can do it, but it isn't always optimal. Lots of factors come into play. I do notice some white uniformity issues on mine, which I never notice on anything else other than if I use a programme such as MS Word or anything with a large plain section of colour. So I really don't like to use it for things like this as I just can't not see it. I don't know if EVERY single OLED exhibits this, but I've seen quite a few comments that indicate many do. That said, I've yet to see a flawless panel in any TV or LCD, but personally, especially with the size, I find 32" 4K optimal for my use case. LCD and IPS has its own issues of course, nothing is perfect. For gaming or visual content, especially HDR, OLED obviously destroys LCD though.

I understand;), every person is different in life we sometimes don't agree with each other and have all different a opinions on any thread/topic so when anyone wants to find help on a game forums for a best TV/monitor/GPU it becomes a nightmare because of peoples opinions, and there is too much market hype on everything today:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom