Ring/Eufy/Nest

Soldato
OP
You wouldn't have to remove each time as you just remove the security screw from underneath to slide the battery out. The problem for me is mine was being triggered 200/300 times a day so it killed the battery. Where as the quoted stats are based on lone American front gardens/porches.
AFAIK the battery is non removable in the eufy cam?

Associate
My experience with Nest is not so good.

We bought a house which already had Nest thermostats and smoke alarms, so went with the Nest Outdoor Cam IQ (think was £329).

During the night time, frames go down to 15fps. It doesn't sound bad, but ANY movement results in significant tearing, so you cannot tell who/what it is. Which is annoying as most burglars avoid the day time!

Customer support is shocking; spent 18 months with back and forth. Initially they changed the camera and wire, problem persisted. Then we went into a cycle where they would:

1. Blame the internet speed (I have 200/20Mbps)
2. Blame the signal/router (I tried 3 different routers [Virgin Hub, a mate's TP Link, Nest WiFi] and provided evidence of the camera having access to speeds in excess of 100Mbps at all times)
3. Blame interference from surrounding devices (can you turn everything else off please? yeah sure, would you like me to go without electricity as well?)
4. Blame my network usage (yeap, I always use the most internet when I'm asleep between 10pm-6am)
5. Go back to step 1.

The original camera change happened before Google bought nest off; after that, customer 'support' is just a nametag and resembles nothing of the sort.

Apart from the fact that a £329 camera cannot provide video feed that allows you to recognise anything that moves (very good though on stationary burglars, if you get loads of those, this is the camera for you!), the ecosystem itself is very good.

Associate
The outdoor cam IQ is meant to be their best camera sensor... it's so bad that even the nest app doesn't mark the videos with 'person' during the night, just 'motion' as it can't even recognise it's a human being :p Which is frustrating as if it did mark them with person I would have maybe 1-10 clips to look at, whereas with 'motion' I have 50 clips to look at for every night.

Soldato
I have the Eufy battery powered jobbie, it's awesome and then you can use the home base for additional security camera etc.. The GUI is very good, alerting, remote interaction and detection is very good.

Highly recommended

Does the base station have an ethernet port, or is it WiFi only?

I've had it 3 weeks now and it's still showing as full, recharging is a doddle, just a micro usb lead :)

Do you take the doorbell off to charge?

My only worry with the smart doorbells, is that they're very easy to take off, and it wouldn't be much faff to stop someone nicking it.

Google Hello have a scheme in the US that they'll replace stolen doorbells, but that doesn't exist in the UK. I've actually managed to thread some thin steel cable around mine and back through the hole that the wire feeds through. It's enough to make it a ballache to remove, although not impossible, it should prevent any opportunist thieves from trying.

There's plenty of videos on youtube showing how you can remove the Google Hello doorbell in 5-10 seconds.

I haz 4090!
Don
I've got a Ring doorbell, had it since April last year. It's hard wired, and when I first got it, it was amazing. No delay whatsoever on notifications coming through on my phone, but that isn't the case anymore. There's always a delay of a few seconds before I get the notifications, it's weird. It's like they broke it with an update and then never fixed it.

Soldato
OP
Does the base station have an ethernet port, or is it WiFi only?

Do you take the doorbell off to charge?

My only worry with the smart doorbells, is that they're very easy to take off, and it wouldn't be much faff to stop someone nicking it.

Google Hello have a scheme in the US that they'll replace stolen doorbells, but that doesn't exist in the UK. I've actually managed to thread some thin steel cable around mine and back through the hole that the wire feeds through. It's enough to make it a ballache to remove, although not impossible, it should prevent any opportunist thieves from trying.

There's plenty of videos on youtube showing how you can remove the Google Hello doorbell in 5-10 seconds.

The Eufy base unit does have an Ethernet jack. Also, the actual doorbell does not have a removable battery so you have to take the doorbell off to charge (though based on a YouTube review it charges in 1 hour).

Soldato
The Eufy base unit does have an Ethernet jack. Also, the actual doorbell does not have a removable battery so you have to take the doorbell off to charge (though based on a YouTube review it charges in 1 hour).

That's a bit of a design flaw then, they would have made the doorbell easily removable for charging, which likely makes it easier to steal.

This wouldn't be an issue if the doorbells were priced at £20 - lets face it, who goes round stealing doorbells. But at £160-180, they suddenly become a lot more tempting.

Soldato
OP
That's a bit of a design flaw then, they would have made the doorbell easily removable for charging, which likely makes it easier to steal.

This wouldn't be an issue if the doorbells were priced at £20 - lets face it, who goes round stealing doorbells. But at £160-180, they suddenly become a lot more tempting.

I believe you need a little pin thing to unclip it, so I imagine no different to ring or nest (though not great I agree).

Soldato
OP
Think I’ll try and get a eufy on a Black Friday deal. Nest would be the other option but would need wiring to be done, which isn’t really feasible.

Don
Does the base station have an ethernet port, or is it WiFi only? hard wired (etehrnet/rj45) is a requirement

Do you take the doorbell off to charge? yes, not had to do it yet so I have no idea how long it takes

My only worry with the smart doorbells, is that they're very easy to take off, and it wouldn't be much faff to stop someone nicking it. - it's got a special key to remove it, but yep it could be nicked if you really wanted to.

few answers inline above

Soldato
Think I’ll try and get a eufy on a Black Friday deal. Nest would be the other option but would need wiring to be done, which isn’t really feasible.

How so? Our house didn't even have any wiring for a doorbell when we first moved in, so was starting from scratch. I had to buy the transformer, and chime and run the wiring to the door - didn't necessarily need the chime, but i figured at least if wifi/internet went down then i could hear the doorbell still. I don't think it would work as a local device if the internet had dropped out - i think it still relays via Nest servers before going back to your Nest speakers.

few answers inline above

It looks like the same tool that the Nest Hello uses to remove the doorbell.

I was hoping another manufacturer had given a bit more thought into the security side of things.

Soldato
OP
How so? Our house didn't even have any wiring for a doorbell when we first moved in, so was starting from scratch. I had to buy the transformer, and chime and run the wiring to the door - didn't necessarily need the chime, but i figured at least if wifi/internet went down then i could hear the doorbell still. I don't think it would work as a local device if the internet had dropped out - i think it still relays via Nest servers before going back to your Nest speakers.

It looks like the same tool that the Nest Hello uses to remove the doorbell.

I was hoping another manufacturer had given a bit more thought into the security side of things.

We have to existing doorbell/wiring and our porch has no electricity (annoying). I don’t know/trust anyone to do a good job or the wiring, which puts me off nest.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Was looking at the nest but its to easy to nick, even if it renders it useless. Really bad design tbh.

Soldato
Just a heads up, the Eufy battery 2k doorbell has 25% off on Amazon, so down to £134.99 — that’s less than it was when they last had a deal on (£149.99).

I think that’s probably the Black Friday price, can’t imagine it will drop any more.

I’ve just grabbed one. The thing that sealed it for me was that the battery version can also be wired in if required, so my plan is to try it with the battery and then wire it in when I next have the electrician around.

Back
Top Bottom