• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Is everyone ready for the sprint to the checkout tomorrow at 2pm? F5 ready and practicing lol here we go again!

HEH.

I'm gonna get some snacks.

Open up the usual suspects to watch reviews and read reviews.

And then maybe at a few hours later I'll come back and see if the forum is online again.

Soldato
Thanks for confirming my suspicions and your agenda. As a consumer it's not wholly prudent to make purchases based on your post. I am in no rush as I'm gaming just fine. As for why nvidia got roasted for their Ampere release? It is that they were viewed as the industry leader who didn't lead by example when releasing Ampere. Unlike Apple or Samsung when it comes to new product releases.

You, conveniently, forgot to mention what exactly lead to nvidia being scrutinized:
  • 3080, called the flagship card, has lower vram then the 1080ti and 2080ti before it.
  • AIBs charging higher prices then oem, which has been OOS.
  • 1 AIB caught scalping it's own customers.
  • AIBs using an imbalanced capacitors causing blackscreens and ctd.
  • 1 AIB using power connectors that bend, move when you plug them in causing no connection.
  • Paper Launch with only a few 1000 world wide (per Jayztwocents)
  • Won't be able to replenish stock fully until 2021.
  • Nvidia store crashing, and is accused of exposing customer data. Also show $899 prices for the 3080.
  • 3080 rumored to be eol for a higher vram variant.

Although AMD hasn't released their cards yet I seriously doubt we will see the number of transgressions as provided above. That's the reason for the controversy with Ampere and why AMD now has (IMO) a larger audience. Regardless if it's true they have limited quantity or not. IMO, you are batting for the wrong team.
:D

- Amount of VRAM: completely subjective. I'm not even sure putting more ram on there would shut people up, because they cards would be more expensive as a result and then people would moan about that instead.
- AIB pricing: I dont see the issue with AIBs being more expensive than OEM. they are custom, you tend to pay for that privilege.
- AIBs using junk pci-e connectors: Im sorry, how is that nvidia's fault?
- AIBs scalping their customers: that was MSI and it was 100% MSI's fault. Nobody in their right mind would blame nvidia for that.
- 'rumours'. ..... :D:o
- Imbalanced capacitors causing blackscreens and CTD: Nope, that only happened on the ragged edge and it was fixed with driver update. Even EVGA got that wrong.

What nVidia really should be blamed for:

-> launching the 3080 early when they knew there would be no stock. There's no way they didnt know shortages would be a thing.
-> pricing the cores as such that OEMs are making next to no profit on their cheaper GPUs. AIBs need a half decent margin if they want to survive.
-> lack of transparency over the supply issues. I think everybody would appreciate a little more information coming from the top.
-> nVidia store. Leaking data = bad. Crashing, well. It's not like normal service wasnt resumed pretty quickly. Not a big issue, IMO.

What they shouldnt be blamed for:
-> AIBs extracting the urine.
-> the shortages themselves (but they SHOULD be blames for the lack of communication re: those shortages, as above). I would be very wary of pointing the finger at nvidia and blaming them for their own shortages. Look at the facts; Consoles = shortages, nvidia = shortages, AMD CPUs = shortages. Do you think AMD GPUs are gonna be fine? Not even close according to recent rumours.....

Associate
the fact that even a 1500 during a pandemic/recession and that sells out?

what price is too much ?

is 2000 too much? 3000? 4000? how much can nvidia/AMD price a GPU until it no longer sells out?
I am not sure what the limit is but nvidia and AMD are going to try and find out over the next few months.

I think this year with COVID there is more yolo and unspent cash though which has enabled prices to shoot up.

Associate
I have a feeling if you wait for reviews and miss launch you most likely end up in a que and will get in if lucky after Xmas. AIB's will be limited stock also in a weeks time, maybe even a bigger rush for them. If the AMD ryzen 6000 series anything to go by
could be a long wait for some. a lot of AMD fans have been waiting for this card for a long time to take it to nvidia. expect sell out in seconds once more.

Then we will get the same old not enough stock to go round and have ya pants down on price.

Soldato
It's nuts we can't see reviews at least a day before release, giving that it's going to cost a kidney and be as rare as unicorn ***** stock wise. Bad times these. I was hoping for a 6800XT as it's my birthday tomorrow but was buying for Christmas and likewise hoping for an Xbox series X for said Christmas too. Mind moaning about real world problems like this when some folk lost their jobs or can't feed their kids maybe I should just shut up. :(

Soldato
It's nuts we can't see reviews at least a day before release, giving that it's going to cost a kidney and be as rare as unicorn ***** stock wise. Bad times these. I was hoping for a 6800XT as it's my birthday tomorrow but was buying for Christmas and likewise hoping for an Xbox series X for said Christmas too. Mind moaning about real world problems like this when some folk lost their jobs or can't feed their kids maybe I should just shut up. :(
I have never seen this happen in the 30+ years of building computers

Associate
i dont understand why ?

So why are we having furlough schemes when tehere is plenty of cash at hand it seems?

Well not everyone has been furloughed - many like myself have worked from home for the whole period saving hundreds on travel and have also not been on holiday so have some spare cash floating around.

Soldato
So why are we having furlough schemes when tehere is plenty of cash at hand it seems?
Different groups of people. Without diverting too much into politics here, the pandemic has accelerated the difference between the have nots and the haves. Its not the 'have nots' buying a graphics card for close to £2000. Just like its not the people on government support who are driving a surge to buying a house in the suburbs now the city is a cramped plague risk

I cba with all this, we at last have some competition in gpus so I'm sitting back and picking up a model x95783 ti super ultra in 6 months time.

Basically. People are still waiting for waterblocks for the 3000 series release, so I don't see any rush for myself. I'll wait for the AMD price drops when the ti's get released and snag a decent block at the same time.

Associate
There is, but we’re talking 9mil ps5s and ( no idea how many xboxes ) already shipped and ready to get in the hands of customers vs maybe what? Tens of thousands of gpus?

i got mine preordered and paid for already from the 17th of sept as soon as preorders went live (ps5). Hoping to get it asap in the next 2 days.

I want a 6800xt and will try tomorrow if not i might just see if I can pick up a ps5 digital for under the tv till AMD and/or Nvidia get their act together

Soldato
did nvidia ever sai =d how many 3000 series cards they made worldwide?

Lets assume there is 1million pc gamers who play triple A pc titles and out of those bunch, only querter are looking to upgrade there gpu's

thats 250k people trying to buy a new 3000 series gpu.

has nvidia at least made 250k gpu's during its launch?

Soldato
Different groups of people. Without diverting too much into politics here, the pandemic has accelerated the difference between the have nots and the haves. Its not the 'have nots' buying a graphics card for close to £2000. Just like its not the people on government support who are driving a surge to buying a house in the suburbs now the city is a cramped plague risk

Makes a bit of sense i suppose

Associate
We are all indoors more and will be for months to come, using PC's more, as mentioned we have saved from lack of travel costs etc in a lot of cases and also those on AMD haven't had a clear worthwhile upgrade since VEGA so we are chomping at the bit, to make matters worse you also have the NVIDIA people who would never normally buy an AMD card piling in due to stock issues, overall a perfect storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom