Noisy new build

Associate
Hi All,

I've recently built a new machine, but kept my Noctua NH14 cooler and 120mm case fan. I've also kept the graphics card - MSI 2070S.

In previous case, the machine was very quiet. In this new case, a Zalman S5, it's noticeably louder.

I've got a corsair 850W psu and I'm wondering if that is the weak link in terms of noise?

I've only got two fans running, a 120 on the cooler and a 120 on the front of the case, both set to push air out the back.

I was thinking of changing the front fan to a 120 PWM, but I just don't think it's the noctua I can hear.

Any advise or tips?

Soldato
To determine what's causing the noise you'll need to stop each fan.

You can just take the side of the case off and unplug each fan until the noise goes away.

In my experience power supplies are rarely a source of noise above case fans and CPU fans.

It's possible your CPU cooler hasn't been mounted properly and the cpu is running hot and causing the fans to speed up.

Associate
Open up msi afterburner and turn the gpu fans off for a start, then turn the case fans off. At least then you've got a starting point to narrow down what the offender is.

Associate
OP
To determine what's causing the noise you'll need to stop each fan.

You can just take the side of the case off and unplug each fan until the noise goes away.

In my experience power supplies are rarely a source of noise above case fans and CPU fans.

It's possible your CPU cooler hasn't been mounted properly and the cpu is running hot and causing the fans to speed up.
Open up msi afterburner and turn the gpu fans off for a start, then turn the case fans off. At least then you've got a starting point to narrow down what the offender is.

Cheers for the suggests. I think you might be onto something with the CPU - or at least the fan its using. I'll report back with my findings :)

Associate
You can also use Argus fan monitor free version to set fan speed in Windows on the fly so you can test individually.

I have a damn near silent system at idle, factors involved are passive Gpu fans under 59c, PSU with fanless ECO mode. All case fans tuned for silence using Argus or bios with Be Quiet silent wing 3s on CPU cooler.

Finally had to eliminate HDD and switch to SSD only. Finally then truly damn near silent at idle in high airflow case and very quiet at gaming load. Have to put ear to case to hear anything at all at idle.

Hope that helps, was amazed how loud the HDD was, thought that was fan noise at one point.

Associate
OP
You can also use Argus fan monitor free version to set fan speed in Windows on the fly so you can test individually.

I have a damn near silent system at idle, factors involved are passive Gpu fans under 59c, PSU with fanless ECO mode. All case fans tuned for silence using Argus or bios with Be Quiet silent wing 3s on CPU cooler.

Finally had to eliminate HDD and switch to SSD only. Finally then truly damn near silent at idle in high airflow case and very quiet at gaming load. Have to put ear to case to hear anything at all at idle.

Hope that helps, was amazed how loud the HDD was, thought that was fan noise at one point.
Thanks, I can see now that both fans were pegged at 100% and its the CPU fan thats the culprit. I think it might be on 100% because it's not PWM? If I turn the fan down to 90% of max that its almost silent.

I think after this I need to reseat the cooler just in case and potentially get a new noctua fan for the cooler.

When I dropped to 90% nothing happened in terms of CPU temp, but its not under load.

Associate
Thanks, I can see now that both fans were pegged at 100% and its the CPU fan thats the culprit. I think it might be on 100% because it's not PWM? If I turn the fan down to 90% of max that its almost silent.

I think after this I need to reseat the cooler just in case and potentially get a new noctua fan for the cooler.

When I dropped to 90% nothing happened in terms of CPU temp, but its not under load.

What is the cpu temp at idle and under load?
Then we can decide whether its fine and you are over chilling it at the expense of extra noise, or whether reseating it will make a difference.

Alternatively just Google a review of your cpu and see what normal is for load and idle temps.

Associate
OP
What is the cpu temp at idle and under load?
Then we can decide whether its fine and you are over chilling it at the expense of extra noise, or whether reseating it will make a difference.

Alternatively just Google a review of your cpu and see what normal is for load and idle temps.
It's a 3600.
NH14 cooler with one fan.

Idling its around 40C
Under load the max temp was 68C (Playing GTA V)
Ramping the fans to full seemed to have no measurable difference on idle temps. I turned on a couple of cheap case fans that run at 100% and they did nothing (although I can't hear them) they aren't connected to mobo, just powered.

Associate
OP
Ive found the source of the noisy fans. The mobo had some weird profiles set so they were at pretty much 100% all the time. I reset them to default. Not sure if it explains my high idle temps or not. I’ll revert them and see if the cpu cools. If it doesn’t I’ll reseat

Associate
OP
I re-seated the CPU and the contact was so good between the cooler and CPU that upon removing the cooler is pulled the CPU out of the socket :(. Luckily all is well and I've not gone as hard on the mounting screws this time. The temps however remain the same at between 40-45C at idle. Under load though, it doesn't go above 70C.

I guess I'll have to live with it.

Soldato
I re-seated the CPU and the contact was so good between the cooler and CPU that upon removing the cooler is pulled the CPU out of the socket :(. Luckily all is well and I've not gone as hard on the mounting screws this time. The temps however remain the same at between 40-45C at idle. Under load though, it doesn't go above 70C.

I guess I'll have to live with it.
My 3700x has high idle temps, usually 40-55 depending on ambient temperature and background tasks so don't worry about it.

If it's staying around 70 under full load then that's good and the same as mine.

Associate
OP
My 3700x has high idle temps, usually 40-55 depending on ambient temperature and background tasks so don't worry about it.

If it's staying around 70 under full load then that's good and the same as mine.
Cheers for the reassurance. I panicked when the cooler pulled the chip out of the socket!

Back
Top Bottom