New to pc, need some advice please

Associate
I have an asus tuf gaming x-570 plus motherboard which has a 8+4 cpu power connector but my psu only has a 8pin cpu power cable, I've read a lot of forums saying it's fine to use just the 8pin and not the 4pin as long as I'm not doing any extreme over clocking, however I've tried enabling XMP settings in the motherboard BIOS to get my RAM speeds from 2133mhz to 3600mhz but the first and only time I tried this my pc turned off and wouldnt turn back on so I had to take the "flat battery" (like I said I'm new) out of the motherboard to get it to work again.. does anyone know if it's actually safe to use enable XMP without using the extra 4pin power cable.. or know a good 8+4 pin PSU that will fit in a cooler master masterbox MB511 case

Thankyou for any help or advice

Soldato
Did you remember to increase the voltage for the ram to run at higher speed?

It will be trying to run at 1.2v but will probably need 1.35v to do the high speed.

No sure regarding the extra 4 pin power supply but ram uses very little power compared to cpu itself.

Associate
The 8 pin is all that is required to be plugged in. The extra 4 is providing extra power to board it will not effect the overclock in the memory you are referring to. You do not need the 4 pin for XMP.

The powering off is usual with most boards as to apply the change in memory speed. A normal boot after the memory training would normally occur. The fact that it would not boot afterwards is indication that something is amiss with the settings you entered.

I think you need to specify what kit of ram you have and which processor as there is issues at present with new cpu's and XMP settings of bios causing issues.

try a motherboard bios update ?

If it is a new 5000 series processor then it would have probably have come with a bios only to get you started or booting, as most motherboards had new bios applied to do this since Sept for retail stock supplied to retailers. Hence I would check as person above has stated you are on the most recent as it may help the issue.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was just going to suggest what Overkill had suggested. If you are on a early bios version there is a very good chance that it is buggy as hell. Gigabyte took several months and many bios updates to get XMP working properly on my Aorus Z390 Pro so it's not a rare circumstance you find yourself in. There have been many updates for Ryzen, 16 bios updates for your board alone. The latest official release for your board is version 2802 but there is also a later beta version 2812 with a updated Agesa. Bios updates have typically increased compatibility and increased performance as manufacturers have got to grips with Ryzen so it's well worth doing. If you download and run CPU-z it will tell you the current version your board is running under the motherboard tab. To flash the bios download the latest version and extract it to a Fat32 formatted USB stick. Reboot the pc and enter the bios and click on the tools tab. There you will find Ez-Flash so fire it up, point it to the USB stick and let it do it's thing. Under no circumstances should you flash the bios using a windows based flashing method as there is a high chance it will go wrong and brick the board.

Associate
OP
I literally just updated the BIOS guys, but it didnt automatically increase the speeds of the ram like someone suggested it might, I will try putting the ram speeds to 3600mhz later and see what happens.. also my processor is a ryzen 5 3600x, my ram is corsair vengeance lpx 16gb DDR4 3600 ( 2x8gb ) ,

Also I couldnt find the XMP setting... would it be similar to the D.O.C.P setting? or "asus optimal" setting?

Really appreciate all your guys time and help

Associate
OP
Okay, I'll give that a try later thankyou, did you check the ram speeds in the bios after enabling DOCP to see if it 100% changed the speeds to the correct speed? And no problems since?

Associate
Okay, I'll give that a try later thankyou, did you check the ram speeds in the bios after enabling DOCP to see if it 100% changed the speeds to the correct speed? And no problems since?
Yep. Was running at 3600. Used the tuning wizard to see what oC could get and it got them to run at 3700+. But when ran a cpu test it ran at slower than with just docp turned on

Back
Top Bottom