Heads Up! - Paypal Changes.

Caporegime
Ebay no longer requires Paypal so there's not a lot of reason to use it to be honest, I bet a lot of people just continue to use it out of habit.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I hit the button in the Paypal app to get the sms, it turns up and the phone autofills it straight from the incoming sms. It's practically instant, far quicker than messing about with the authenticator app.

If you don't have an active connection, how can you access your account? Just wondering :p ;)

You are assuming all this is being done on your phone including accessing paypal, but you can access paypal on more devices and locations than just a phone hence why I mentioned GSM network ;)

if you don't have gsm coverage, or wifi calling it's not an option

ok I'll look that up, was planning to try authy
https://www.maketecheasier.com/google-authenticator-windows/

I'm learning, but seems you initially need to synchronise it with the paypal so may need one text to set it up ...

another article i'd read on paypal vulnerabilities
https://cybernews.com/security/we-found-6-critical-paypal-vulnerabilities-and-paypal-punished-us/

Personally not used Authy but have used Google and MS ones for years. The Google one now finally supports backup/restore but there is a manual process involved whereas the MS one auto backs up to the MS cloud on your MS account ID, at least on Android anyway. I trust the MS one more for long term usage though because Gogle has a long track record of axing apps and services they don't deem as profitable and Google have direct 2FA notifications built into Android anyway so they don't actually need an Auth app to send out a login code for their own services.

Man of Honour
Anything requiring text auth is a pain in the backside, our office is a mobile signal black hole so unless I can use an app be it an authenticator or banking app to auth transactions I'm stuck.

Soldato
The Google one now finally supports backup/restore but there is a manual process involved whereas the MS one auto backs up to the MS cloud on your MS account ID, at least on Android anyway. I trust the MS one more for long term usage though because Gogle has a long track record of axing apps and services they don't deem as profitable and Google have direct 2FA notifications built into Android anyway so they don't actually need an Auth app to send out a login code for their own services.
thanks

I need a windows solution, laptop is where most purchases are made, and don't always have an Android availible.
(tin hat) I suppose that compromises security of 2fa a bit, using authenticator on the same hardware, if someoneone remotely monitored/controlled your computer..
edit: but i suppose anyone making 4g purchases on a phone has same issue

so looks like google&MS are out,
winauth hasn't been updated for ever, so I'll try authy.
https://authy.com/guides/paypal/

Soldato
went for authy, for 2fa, installed on windows computer;
I hadn't appreciated paypal allows you to specify a backup 2fa device, so the ability of authy to clone/sync itself for other devices becomes a bit redundant.

Soldato
Ebay new managed payments

ebay seem to be messing with the payment system, it wants to break my order in two that precludes using up a voucher,
need to do some research - is this giving more/less protection ?

Your purchase will be split into two orders
This is because one or more of your sellers use the new managed payments. Please pay for your first order. You'll then be taken to complete the second order.

Redeeming a voucher? Voucher eligibility may be impacted if you pay with PayPal for this purchase. We recommend using a different payment option to redeem a voucher.

Man of Honour
I'm not happy about giving my mobile number to every company for them to do whatever they want with it. I don't even want a mobile phone. I was forced to buy one in order to get my landline fixed because TalkTalk refused to allow me to have my landline fixed unless I gave a mobile number to TalkTalk.

Soldato
I've used authy, as I said, on, windows O/S,

managed returns
Looks like no free returns any more, so buying clothing/shoes in a couple of sizes, is out now.
I don't know if this new system has its own 2FA.

Soldato
Deleted my Paypal account last month, there is no reason to have one now that ebay doesnt require it. They are putting themselves out of business with stupid policies.

Associate
OK so this managed payments is ebay getting rid of paypal, and requiring you to give them your credit card number,
and in return, what do I, the buyer, get ?

I'm guessing that free returns offered by paypal ain't on the new menu

https://www.imrg.org/blog/why-ebay-drops-paypal/

I like the sound of 'lower fees', between skipping the Paypal 3% and eBay's constant £1 fee promotions, I might actually be able to sell items on the platform for close to what the user pays for it

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Why delete it? It's still very useful.

I use it on pretty much all the online shops I buy anything from. Paying via PayPal means my payment details are only in paypal and not stored somewhere within the systems of each etailer. I also pay for fuel with Paypal via the Shell app.

Soldato
Hmm, this doesn't make Ebay a very favourable platform anymore. I used to only buy stuff from Ebay because of the Paypal protection - i.e. you knew full well if something was wrong with the item, then you were pretty much guaranteed. Are Ebay offering similar protection?

Would this result in the downturn of Paypal as well? Most people only used Paypal because of the protections it gave you on Ebay purchases. If that's now removed, then people will use Paypal less and less.

Admittedly i have used Paypal for paying for things like takeaways, but that's only because my account is already set up, there are other options that are just as easy.

Soldato
Hmm, this doesn't make Ebay a very favourable platform anymore. I used to only buy stuff from Ebay because of the Paypal protection - i.e. you knew full well if something was wrong with the item, then you were pretty much guaranteed. Are Ebay offering similar protection?

Would this result in the downturn of Paypal as well? Most people only used Paypal because of the protections it gave you on Ebay purchases. If that's now removed, then people will use Paypal less and less.

Admittedly i have used Paypal for paying for things like takeaways, but that's only because my account is already set up, there are other options that are just as easy.

You still get that same protection for other retailers though - safer than sticking your card details in a relatively unknown site, and if you have Paypal credit then the 4 months interest free on anything over £99 can be handy at times.

Soldato
I didn’t know that PayPal now offers an alternative to SMS based 2FA, just changed it to use app based and added it to 1Password.

Soldato
OK so this managed payments is ebay getting rid of paypal, and requiring you to give them your credit card number,
and in return, what do I, the buyer, get ?

I'm guessing that free returns offered by paypal ain't on the new menu

https://www.imrg.org/blog/why-ebay-drops-paypal/

You get section 75 credit card protection, something you don't get if you use PayPal. This is always, always superior to PayPal's whims.

Don't get why people would use it anymore.

Soldato
ok I'll look that up, was planning to try authy

I'm learning, but seems you initially need to synchronise it with the paypal so may need one text to set it up ...

another article i'd read on paypal vulnerabilities
https://cybernews.com/security/we-found-6-critical-paypal-vulnerabilities-and-paypal-punished-us/

I've been using Authy for a few months now. Nice and easy to use...no complaints! Combine that with Lastpass and 2FA enabled wherever possible, it should be pretty difficult to hack my accounts!

Back
Top Bottom