Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Normally each month Strava sends emails on data for the month, I never realised they had a place to keep track off all the kudos: https://labs.strava.com/kodos/ :cool:

nPmERj4l.jpg

I think I spend too much time browsing Strava.

I should be getting out this weekend for a run, hoping it isn't too cold. My sister is also moving house in the direction of where I usually like to run, so it should be good to meet up and go running together soon.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Same here, the bit of trail where I normally run was heaving, I find it quite fun when people have no intention of moving for you so you just steam roll through the puddle planting your foot harder than normal :)

Associate
I am after a new watch for tracking my runs - I have a Polar M400 that has been hanging on for years now, it does the job, but there's much more advanced watches available currently (one with music incorporated would be the idea, so I can go out without my phone when I want something to distract me).

However, I do worry about the size of watch faces - given the current lockdown I can't go out and see many in person, so I wondered if anyone had a Vivoactive 4s? I want the smaller size as some of the Garmins I have seen will look ridiculous on my skinny wrists...

Busy out running today barely see anyone everyone comes out the woodwork in lockdown

Same, I live near a fen that is quiet most of the time (it's also a pretty dull run); last lockdown it was heaving, and there was a similar increase in numbers today (although not as many, as it was a real pea-souper around these parts this morning)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Been really happy with my Fenix 5 for the past 2 years you can pick them up a little cheaper now as its been superseded. Works great linking Spotify playlists to BT headphones (you can also import your own MP3 as well if needed)

Might be a tad overkill for just running, also depends how far invested you are in the Polar eco-system really, but after considering jumping ship to polar they are behind Garmin by a couple of years at the moment.

Soldato
Yeah, i feel that Polar seem quite behind too.

I'd be tempted by a Suunto, they seem to offer a lot of the benefits at a slightly cheaper price point. I only went with Garmin because i need it to link up with Vitality for my health insurance.

Depends if you want the smart functions i suppose, the Vivoactive 4S, is more of an attempt at a smart watch rather than a pure tracker. The equivalent would be something like the 245 i suppose.

That said, i've read good things about the Vivoactive and the price seems good.

Soldato
Also, as commonly happens, i drank way too much on Saturday.

As such i still feel slightly ropey, and i've got the fear about getting out for a run. Particularly as my running club have a 11 mile challenge which i need to finish by tomorrow! Hoping to get out for it tonight.

Associate
Been really happy with my Fenix 5 for the past 2 years you can pick them up a little cheaper now as its been superseded. Works great linking Spotify playlists to BT headphones (you can also import your own MP3 as well if needed)

Might be a tad overkill for just running, also depends how far invested you are in the Polar eco-system really, but after considering jumping ship to polar they are behind Garmin by a couple of years at the moment.

Yeah, i feel that Polar seem quite behind too.

I'd be tempted by a Suunto, they seem to offer a lot of the benefits at a slightly cheaper price point. I only went with Garmin because i need it to link up with Vitality for my health insurance.

Depends if you want the smart functions i suppose, the Vivoactive 4S, is more of an attempt at a smart watch rather than a pure tracker. The equivalent would be something like the 245 i suppose.

That said, i've read good things about the Vivoactive and the price seems good.

I am not invested at all in Polar, it was just a cheap tracker that was available - and to be fair to it, it does track fairly well when I use it.

My issue with a lot of the other trackers is the sheer size of the things on your wrist! Hence looking at the 4s as opposed to the 4 - I am looking for something discreet, quite like the idea of HR monitoring without needing a chest band (even with less accuracy overall) - probably just tracking runs/bike rides, as I tend to struggle to wear a watch consistently unless it's for a specific purpose...

Last edited:
Soldato
It's difficult to comment on size much. Mine is the Fenix 6X so probably the biggest version they do! How was the Polar size? Can you measure that for comparison? I assume the 4S functions the same as the 4 other than maybe a battery hit, so if you'd prefer that it'd be a good choice.

My daughter mentioned she'd like to get into running. I went out last night with her. She did better than either of us expected. I'm just not sure what to try and do with her. The couch to 5k week 1 felt a little easy as she was fairly happy running for 3-4 minutes and we did around 4-5 reps of running and then walked inbetween. I generally just based it on either getting to a certain spot or listening for her breathing getting heavier. In the end we did around 1.9 miles in 25 minutes.

I feel like some kind of "structure" would be good though as it's good motivation to see small improvements. Should i try and work on 3 min on/2 min off routine, and then can slowly increase to 4 on/1.5 off etc. Or do i just keep with how i did last night and gauge it on how she's doing?

I've suggested 3 sessions a week, as don't want to over-do it, even though she's in that initial "motivated" stage.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose some of that depends on how old she is and how she is with this kind of thing. My 13yo did couch to 5k on the treadmill in lockdown and was pretty good with it. Took her outside and she freaked out and couldn't handle the fact that people might see her and so on. There is no way on earth I would be able to get the 9yo onto the treadmill, but she dances wherever possible so not too worried about fitness with her just yet ;)

Soldato
Yeah, she's 19 and she's like that and doesn't want people to see her. Luckily there's a private lane to a farm down the side of our house that's around half a mile, so last night we just went to the end of there and back twice. No-one around which helps. Think i'll just stick to that and hopefully she then gets more confident when she can build up a bit.

The only issue is that she wouldn't want to run in the dark on her own (especially down there which is understandable!), so i'm hoping that she doesn't take too much work to drag her out, will see how her motivation goes in the next few weeks, we do have a cross trainer if she does just want fitness, but she suffers from anxiety and so i've been explaining the mental benefits of getting out and running outside to clear your head.

She was worried i'd be too fast (she's clearly never seen me run!), and that she'd hold me back, but i just explained i can do this with her and then go for a longer run afterwards so she's not restricting me doing my thing.

Soldato
First trail run in months. With being on the road I rarely have much ascent so felt good to get around 1500ft in over 11 miles.

Also made it up one hill without stopping to walk for the first time which was a big achievement.

Only downside is that around half a mile from the end I absolutely went flying. Covered my legs and hands in mud and tore a huge hole in knee of my best running tights :(

The woman who organises our running club has set a weekly challenge where she’s bought a lottery ticket for next Friday. To have a chance of getting a share of the winnings we each have to run 47 miles in a week which is the highest number on the lucky dip.
A very inventive virtual challenge!

Associate
I am not invested at all in Polar, it was just a cheap tracker that was available - and to be fair to it, it does track fairly well when I use it.

My issue with a lot of the other trackers is the sheer size of the things on your wrist! Hence looking at the 4s as opposed to the 4 - I am looking for something discreet, quite like the idea of HR monitoring without needing a chest band (even with less accuracy overall) - probably just tracking runs/bike rides, as I tend to struggle to wear a watch consistently unless it's for a specific purpose...
I chose the Garmin Fenix 6s as its a good size for my wrist (16 cm) and can pass as a normal watch at a glace. I know the Garmin fenix line is far from cheap but it's good to use for size comparison as there are 3 sizes. There's lots of images so I'll put it in a spoiler.
My old Garmin Forerunner 235:
cfCDW2T.jpg

Forerunner 235 compared to a Fenix 6 (Fenix on the right):
SCEZkHn.jpg
vnROBFC.jpg

Different Fenix sizes:
Q3iLgAz.png
cuNakBV.png

Fenix 6s on my wrist:
95ecLzh.jpg

I think the vivoactive 4s is 40mm compared to the fenix 6s 42mm, so even smaller still. Something even more discreet could be the Withings Steel HR?

Associate
Oh, but that looks so nice... I thought I had made my mind up on this one, and now I have to subtly make enquiries on if it's too late to change it... (don't think I'd get away with asking for a Fenix without putting something towards it though!)

I did have a Withings (their first attempt) and was massively underwhelmed by it - I think they still lack the GPS if you run without a phone (which was my idea in getting a watch that could store music).

@Marvt74 Thanks for this, once I have decided once and for all what I am going for I'll get in touch! If I do get another watch you're very welcome to the Polar.

Soldato
The Fenix 5 can be had quite heavily reduced in a lot of places too now.

Still a top quality watch. I guess the main factor is whether you’d benefit from the smart functions that the new Vivoactive has.

Just done an 8 mile run and feel dead. Went out 5 mins after having tea and that can’t have helped. It’s also around 28 miles in 3 days so going to rest tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom