Efficient ways of drying washing in winter?

Soldato
Haven't had a drier....for 10 years+ now. Just a clothes horse and a simple dehumidifier.

Much better than a drier imo, doesn't heat or wear out your clothes. If you desperately need something dry quick, just make sure it's directly in front of the unit

Plus the dehumidifier is useful for dehumidifying rooms, drying paint etc.

Doesn't need to be in a tiny room, I just use it whichever room is free.

My Mrs doesn't like tumble driers either. So we have a spare bedroom that serves as her office/drying space. Put all the washing in, leave the dehumidifier running and all the clothes are dry pretty quickly.

In a twisted way, the dehumidifier is a heat pump :) it pumps out the generated heat into the room that also speeds up the drying process (in addition to the radiator in there).

Soldato
They are aren't very popular here but vertical spin dryers are very energy efficient at removing water from clothes, sheets etc.

https://whatvacuum.com/product/thomas-centri-4-5-inox/

They are load limited but perfect for singletons, possibly lots of baby clothes and when I wash my cycling kit in small batches. 4 mins in the spin dryer and the clothes come out barely damp. Hang over a rad on a wall mounted rack and my clothes are always dry by the next morning.

Drying rack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-T...=wall+mounted+dry+rack&qid=1605611065&sr=8-18

Soldato
They are aren't very popular here but vertical spin dryers are very energy efficient at removing water from clothes, sheets etc.

https://whatvacuum.com/product/thomas-centri-4-5-inox/

They are load limited but perfect for singletons, possibly lots of baby clothes and when I wash my cycling kit in small batches. 4 mins in the spin dryer and the clothes come out barely damp. Hang over a rad on a wall mounted rack and my clothes are always dry by the next morning.
I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that they extract as much as a 1600 rpm spin on a washing machine - so if they will only be useful if your washing machines spins at 1400 rpm or less.

Permabanned
I saw a calculation recently that that given the additional cost of a heatpump drier you need to use it for ten years before you are actually saving any money. No idea whether that is correct or not, Im too lazy to work it out, but I think the point here is that you need to be careful you aren't spending more money to "save money".

Soldato
I saw a calculation recently that that given the additional cost of a heatpump drier you need to use it for ten years before you are actually saving any money. No idea whether that is correct or not, Im too lazy to work it out, but I think the point here is that you need to be careful you aren't spending more money to "save money".
You might also be saving the world by using less electricity (depends on manufacturing environmental of course)

Back
Top Bottom