**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Don
Yes you can't have advisories removed unless it went to DVSA to appeal it. Otherwise the only way is a fresh MOT.

Not great to be advising them on 4mm. Personally I only advise if below 3mm and usually closer to 2.5mm.

They told me, as you say, they can't do anything after the fact, I'm rather annoyed, and I really never get grumpy....

They have one of those grubby old 'ruler' looking measurers, maybe my amazon special is wildly wrong, but the tyres are really not very old and all I've done is driven drive to milton keynes once and done a few spirited drives to fill up the tank, otherwise I've been a good C19 peasant

Soldato
They told me, as you say, they can't do anything after the fact, I'm rather annoyed, and I really never get grumpy....

They have one of those grubby old 'ruler' looking measurers, maybe my amazon special is wildly wrong, but the tyres are really not very old and all I've done is driven drive to milton keynes once and done a few spirited drives to fill up the tank, otherwise I've been a good C19 peasant

Yes I can see why that would be frustrating. Just the way it is unfortunately :(

Associate
Hi, i'm getting a bit low on rear tyres for my mk4 MX5 2.0. Currently got dunlop sport max on the front (from previous owner) and goodyear eagle F1 asy 3 on the back. size is 205/45/R17. Now the fronts still have 6mm tread on them, but is it maybe worth getting all 4 done? I would like eagle F1 asy 5's fitted as I like the drive from asy 3 in wet and dry, and the 5's review well, similar to the 3's but slightly improved

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Hi, i'm getting a bit low on rear tyres for my mk4 MX5 2.0. Currently got dunlop sport max on the front (from previous owner) and goodyear eagle F1 asy 3 on the back. size is 205/45/R17. Now the fronts still have 6mm tread on them, but is it maybe worth getting all 4 done? I would like eagle F1 asy 5's fitted as I like the drive from asy 3 in wet and dry, and the 5's review well, similar to the 3's but slightly improved
Assy 5s are great, but it’s not like Assy 3s are ditchfinders. I wouldn’t bother swapping the fronts if they’ve still got 6mm on. How old are they?

Associate
don't know how old the dunlops are on the front. The car has 35k miles on so I assume they aren't the originals, the car is from 2016. Never had a problem with turn in from the front though, I just really like the goodyears on the back because when the grip comes to an end, they teach you the lesson without biting too hard!

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
don't know how old the dunlops are on the front. The car has 35k miles on so I assume they aren't the originals, the car is from 2016. Never had a problem with turn in from the front though, I just really like the goodyears on the back because when the grip comes to an end, they teach you the lesson without biting too hard!
Oh, misread sorry. Sportmaxx are *****. I replaced them on my parents’ Mk6 GTI with Assy 5s all round and the difference was astounding. Do it! Won’t break the bank at 17” anyway.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Oh right sorry I misread too, I thought the remaining good tyres were the Asy 3.

Fit a set of new boots and sell the Sportmaxx part worn. You'll probably get £80 for them.
Who in their right mind pays £40 for a part-worn Sportmaxx??

Associate
Thanks, ill do it if it's worth it. I once changed a set of delinte DH2's which a garage fitted to an FN2 type R before I bought it. locked up all 4 wheels under braking, immediately drove to a tyre place and fitted 4 yokohama advan tyres which made it a different car entirely, sometimes it's for the best to get rid even if there is life left.

Associate
I have PS4 all round on my FN2 at the moment. They are getting a bit low so will need replacing soon.

Size is 225 40 R18

Naturally, want to try PS4S. They are listed as new on the Michelin website but don't seem to be available from anywhere. So probably will just stick with PS4.

When I started doing price comparison, S001 are about £15 a corner cheaper.

The only experience I had with them was on my parent's IS200. They seemed pretty decent but I never driven it hard as it wasn't my car.

Anyone tried both S001 and PS4? Not worried about £15 a corner, just for the sake of trying something new.

Associate
I have PS4 all round on my FN2 at the moment. They are getting a bit low so will need replacing soon.

Size is 225 40 R18

Naturally, want to try PS4S. They are listed as new on the Michelin website but don't seem to be available from anywhere. So probably will just stick with PS4.
iirc PS4S is only available in 19" and above

Soldato
iirc PS4S is only available in 19" and above

Here. Apparently they are available in 18" in the US. Little help here though.

Size is 225 40 R18

When I started doing price comparison, S001 are about £15 a corner cheaper.

The only experience I had with them was on my parent's IS200. They seemed pretty decent but I never driven it hard as it wasn't my car.

Anyone tried both S001 and PS4? Not worried about £15 a corner, just for the sake of trying something new.

Why not try the Goodyear Eagle Supersports? They are Goodyears PS4S equivalent, and are available in 18" sizes. They are usually around a similar price to the PS4, and so would be cheaper than their PS4S equivalent, should they have been available in the UK.

Associate
Here. Apparently they are available in 18" in the US. Little help here though.

Why not try the Goodyear Eagle Supersports? They are Goodyears PS4S equivalent, and are available in 18" sizes. They are usually around a similar price to the PS4, and so would be cheaper than their PS4S equivalent, should they have been available in the UK.

That's a good shout, I had GSD3 then AS2 for a while on different cars and liked them.

Soldato
That's a good shout, I had GSD3 then AS2 for a while on different cars and liked them.

The AS5 is the current equivalent. And is a great tyre, I have them on 2 of my cars. They are pretty much a PS4 equivalent at around £15-20 cheaper. If it's just a daily driver, then you wont go far wrong with these. And they are excellent on wear, I've done 15k on my first set and still well over 4mm left all over.

Soldato
Check your tyre pressures regular! Just did mine big difference between the manufacturer spec & the values so had to adjust all 4! No wonder my fuel consumption was so high....

Associate
Picked up a Giulia last week and probably need to replace the backs as one is a Potenza S001 and the other is a Goodyear F1 I don't like unmatched on the wheels driven. I will be looking to just get them all matched (fronts are Potenza S001). I've got PS4 on the VRS and rate them highly, changing to these will be £700+

Or decide just to change the Goodyear F1 to a Potenza S001 runflat.

Why is shopping for tyres so stressful :(

Back
Top Bottom