VW Mk2 Golf, AWD big turbo build

Soldato
So, I thought I’d make a thread, because why not!? Although, it’ll be a shortened version.

It’s a 3 door Mk2 GTi 16v at heart, but I’m going to convert it to AWD and strap a larger than normal turbo to a 1.8t as a temporary solution whilst I build a 16vT with an even bigger turbo so it’ll eventually push 500+ little ponies.

The shell is solid, couple of small bits of rust as to be expected. It’s an old golf.

I started at the end of Feb. So I got it up on the rotisserie,

cleaned the underside,

UHxXJ2g.jpg

checked for any more rust, mmm no rust!

h6SoDnG.jpg

h6SoDnG.jpg

Then I got the grinder out. I’m a tight git and didn’t want to pay for parts from a 5 door “Syncro” so I made it all. Boot floor cut out for diff clearance

2XqfVG0.jpg

With the diff mounted I could see the tunnel needed to be raised as I wouldn’t have space for a nice big exhaust.

MrywGQd.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Then choppy choppy of the tunnel.

DqaagqR.jpg

I was going to fit the Syncro stuff then upgrade to halves so I started fitting that.

IdooZSO.jpg

Mocked up to the height I wanted and then started to fabricate it in.

ZiKAKbe.jpg

Almost finished.

iQkZdlE.jpg

This is my new boot floor support.

MiTI3Lv.jpg

then got a bit bored of that, so I replaced the battery tray because it had been poorly repaired.

5R6ia2r.jpg

and then welded a new panel in.

XIfVqLd.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice. Watching with interest. One of my favourite cars was a mk2 GTI 16v. I loved that car and had so much fun it it. This was back when they were fairly new.

Soldato
OP
ill be interested to know the big turbo setup you choose for the 20v, im in the same boat here with a forged engine but standard k04 at the moment.

I’ve got a Garrett GT2870r or something, but I don’t think I’ll use it. But I don’t know, we’ll see! if I had a K04, which I do in the shed, I’d go for one of them AET380’s. 380+ bhp. Happy days!

Soldato
Nice, how much extra weight will AWD add? Adding AWD and possibly DSG to old cars somewhat intrigues me.

also will engine internals need strengthening?

Soldato
OP
Nice, how much extra weight will AWD add? Adding AWD and possibly DSG to old cars somewhat intrigues me.

also will engine internals need strengthening?

All in about 75kg. Takes it to about 1050kg from 975 to something. I’m tempted by DSG unsure if I’ll make the jump yet. Maybe when the other engine gets fitted.

the 1.8t will have a set of rods and a refresh.

Soldato
OP
So I was away on site and was bored one evening so I bought the running gear off a Mk1 TT.

g72WqOd.jpg

threw it all in the boot of my car and drove it 120 miles to my dads.

dkVswU5.jpg

Got the car on it’s wheels

0UwADgw.jpg

And whilst I was there I thought instead of adapting the subframe to fit, I’ll make it chassis mounted like the TT. So I reinforced the chassis leg and went to town. And repaired the poorly repaired hole in the turret.

AE0XImr.jpg

wqwdqus.jpg

I then put the engine back in on its new mounts and mocked up the dog bone.

mVeQehb.jpg

Tadaaa, need to tidy it up but I’ll do all that before powder coating.

NCp9748.jpg

I then set out on making the haldex bracket now I had the engine and prop in place.

sxEZpNg.jpg

Front support

zAtnVsm.jpg

and she’s in!

7ho8yGw.jpg

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
:eek:

You don't know about Project Binky? It's one of the best things on the Internet. Been going for 7 years and the end is almost within sight...

Take one vintage Mini. Remove all the rust. Remove running gear.
Take one Celica GT4. Remove running gear.
Insert into Mini without making the Mini not look like a Mini.

Full playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQEatqhWza_ae83e313-GLTO

Definitely not a rival, he’s got a workshop and everything! I’ve just got a driveway and a garage full of tools. And it’s just myself and my dad.

It’s really annoying to watch?

Man of Honour
More the cars a rival. Also the tools they use most are the grinders(s), welder, cardboard and kettle.

Although the jig Nick made for the Mini is pretty damn cool.

The early episodes are a bit ropey but they get into the swing of it pretty sharpish.

Soldato
OP
More the cars a rival. Also the tools they use most are the grinders(s), welder, cardboard and kettle.

Although the jig Nick made for the Mini is pretty damn cool.

The early episodes are a bit ropey but they get into the swing of it pretty sharpish.

Maybe I’ll skip a few and get to the fun stuff.

Well I’ve got those tools, and then some. No CNC machine though :(

Yeah, he’s gone a bit more hardcore than me. They did make AWD golfs so I’m merely recreating it, in a 3 door shell because they only made 75 of them.

Associate
They made a Syncro Mk2 Golf, but they were pretty much all 5 door cars. They made a very limited run of the 3 Door 16vG60 Syncro, about 75 of them. And they’re rare as rocking horse ****. I don’t like 5 door Golfs, so I figured I’d build a 3 door version.

I had a Rallye Golf, they were all three door and they built 5000 of them.

And what about the Golf Country - did they not do a three door?

Back
Top Bottom