Xbox Project Xcloud

Soldato
Fired this up on my Note9 tonight, had connection issues earlier but split my WiFi into separate 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and gotta say wow!

Subnautica, Forza and No Man's Sky all ran brilliantly, couple of moments where it lagged but otherwise was very responsive.

Anyone else tried it?

Soldato
I was in the Beta and I didn't find it too great. I tried Tomb Raider and there was a full 2 seconds of lag; so completely unplayable.

I tried Ori on the same connection, same device, worked a lot better, not as much lag but slightly noticeable.

I haven't tried it in the last few months so it may have greatly improved.

Very interested in it as Mrs wants to get a Series X, so that'll come with GamePass Ultimate and I'm an avid Stadia user which works great for me. So would be good to get some xCloud in as well.

Caporegime
I tried it on pixel 4a with streets of rage 4 and it seemed fine. Only tried for a few minutes but I could discern a small amount of lag in the button presses. Not enough to bother me, but need to test other titles. I used a usbc-usba adaptor and a ps4 controller with no issues.

I don't have any adaptors handy but was wondering if anyone had tried this on a phone connected to a large TV?

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/dkt30chpd

I have one of these and some other similar ones so was going to try it at some point. Might even plug in ethernet to see if it makes a difference.

rp2000

Soldato
Bought an android tablet today and a bit disappointed it doesn't work on it.

Still if it's anything like the last time I tried it, I won't lose much sleep.

Soldato
As long as it's Android 6.0 or above and has Bluetooth 4.0 or above then it should be fine.

I tried Minecraft Dungeons on my rather old Galaxy Tab S2 this morning (as it has touch controls and I didn't have a controller to hand) and it ran really well.

Soldato
Why didn't work on the tablet please ?

sorry just seen this. I didn't realise Microsoft had moved xcloud to a different app :rolleyes:

typical crap communication again from Microsoft. Rather than flash up a message saying use the new app, it just came up with an error.

anyways.....I think it's a lot better than it was when the beta first launched. Forza 4 very rarely stutters now, whereas before it was quite bad.

Soldato
Nice update here:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/22/xbox-touch-controls-on-mobile-giving-more-ways-to-play/

Touch controls now available for:
  • Dead Cells
  • Gucamelee! 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Hotshot Racing
  • Killer Instinct
  • New Super Lucky’s Tale
  • Slay The Spire
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Tell Me Why
  • UnderMine
Hoping to see more of this. While some games are going to be a bit of a nightmare with touch controls, others could be really quite good. Tell Me Why, for example. I'm far more likely to use the service if I don't need to have a controller with me too.

Caporegime
XCloud on PC is coming to a low powered device near you soon :)

I'm was looking forward to trying this out on Windows 10 as it could mean I don't have to buy an Xbox. But looking at the games list, it appears none of the 360 games like Gears 2, Viva Pinata are playable. So I still need a console after all.

Soldato
I'm was looking forward to trying this out on Windows 10 as it could mean I don't have to buy an Xbox. But looking at the games list, it appears none of the 360 games like Gears 2, Viva Pinata are playable. So I still need a console after all.

Yeah XCloud only has a select list of games. I don't think it's ever going to replace the console having games. A nice feature they have is local streaming from your own console within your home network. Again still dependant on network ability.

Soldato
Was hoping they'd have some release information. But no. It's just a big tease :p

They should add xcloud support into the existing consoles so you don't need to install some of the games or get a performance boost

That'll be on the cards eventually. The big hurdle right now is the server blades; they're still using underpowered Xbox One S hardware. They're set to start switching to Series X hardware next year.

Soldato
There is an app in testing that allows streaming of the Series X as well as Xcloud. Its the windows version of the android client; most importantly is that from the same download area on the store there is an encrypted version which I believe you can load in to a console. Haven't tried it yet, but I managed to download both and get the windows 10 version installed so its legit.

Soldato
So now this is out on PC, what are people's thoughts?

I had a quick go on Zombie Army 4 on PC and found it pretty bad to be honest. The game looked awful and there was a fair bit of lag. Definitely not in the same league as Stadia yet (unless this was just a one-off). But it's pretty amazing being able to access this huge library of games on a Microsoft Surface. I'm looking forward to them upgrading the hardware (I wonder if that's still happening this year?).

EDIT: Not a one-off. Same lag in Sea of Thieves, even on my main PC (wired to router). Also there's some UI weirdness. Clicking on the guide button brings up the guide menu, but then none of the options can be clicked on (have to use a controller). Pressing the guide button on the controller brings up the guide and Xbox Game Bar. And the mouse cursor is always on screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom