PC Upgrade CPU, GPU?

Associate
Hi, i've been out of the loop for a couple of years regarding PC stuff. I'm also not super knowledgeable in this area - i built my current PC in 2017/18.

I'm looking at upgrading some parts of my PC but im unsure where i should start.

As a gamer i want the machine to run some of the upcoming games at as high a level as possible without frame drops etc so that's what im geared towards - i can run games like AC:Valhalla on a high/very high setting, but have had some slight issues with frame drops here and there; and next up is Cyberpunk2077, need i say more :D

Current Spec:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

GPU - Geforce GTX Titan 1070Ti

Motherboard - Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD X370

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Power Supply - Corsair RM Series RM750X '80+ Gold' 750W

Cooling - NZXT Kraken X52 AIO Water Cooling

Driver - 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

Would i be correct in assuming an upgrade to a new CPU would be a good start? If so what is now considered a decent upgrade from what i have.

I wanted to get an RTX gpu as well, but i can hold fire on that for the moment.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Ideally you would want a new CPU and GPU but which to get depends on what resolution and refresh rate your going to be gaming at and what sort of budget you have?.

Associate
OP
I'm using a 144hz 1920x1080p monitor. I'm not fussed about "4k" for the time being.

Budget wise I have a little but to play with, but not quite enough to buy all the big boy toys ha.

I'm generally happy to spend a touch more if it gives me a little more longevity out of the parts I'm getting.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best cpu you can put on that board is a 3*** series. There is no support of the x370 for the new 5*** series. A 3700x would still be a good upgrade to your old 1800x.

Going by the above chart a 3070 or 6800/xt would get about 100 frames in high on AC Valhalla.

Soldato
You'll usually get much better gains through a gpu upgrade despite the bottlenecks that you might get from it. I would always take the gpu upgrade route before considering a cpu upgrade.

Associate
Cant run a 5600x in a x370 board.
Some custom BIOS may do the trick, but I personally wouldn't bother.
As I said, despite using a X570, O don't see the point of letting my 3900x go for the sake of the 5000 series. There's gains, sure, but I game at 1440. And still waiting for the day my CPU holds my GPU back, specially caping frames.
I would suggest GPU first, 99% of the time, and after, maybe, CPU, unless using an entry-level CPU, which the 1800 isn't.

Associate
OP
Cant run a 5600x in a x370 board.

yeh this is what i wanted to check, i didnt want to fork out the money for a CPU that doesn't work on my current board - so that is definitely helpful to know. Thanks

I'll may look at going GPU first after what you've all recommended - though i was worried about the potential for bottlenecking which is why i was unsure what would be a better upgrade to go with first, i may just bite the bullet and upgrade both my GPU and CPU

Associate
OP
So, i'm looking at either a 3070 or 80 GPU and any of the AMD 3*** series CPUs as my route for upgrades. All things considered is there anything else i should look out for - i cant be having my machine explode on me :D

ps - is there a preference for any of the third party versions of the GPUs i should avoid or are they all essentially the same. My 1070ti is a founders edition so it's the barebones basic and im clueless as to what id gain/lose with the other versions like a Zotac or ASUS 3080???

Soldato
at this point any 3070 is fine. Were not in the right timeline to be picky about brand given the backlog of 3xxx series cards until 2021.
I recently upgraded from a 1070 to a 3070 and the difference is ridiculous, so its well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom