• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 6000 Series UK Pricing ?

Soldato
AMD's Compute focused GPU has slightly exceeded the transistor density of NV's GA100, according to these specs on Techpowerup:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-mi100.g927
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga100.g931

AMD MI100 - 66.7M / mm²
NVIDIA GA100 - 65.6M / mm²

I don't know if Nvidia or AMD used an improved / EUV 7nm fab. process for these GPU dies.

It shows that AMD can still get more out of the 7nm process, and perhaps Nvidia will aim for similar transistor densities if they choose to use TSMC 7nm in future products.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man of Honour
AMD's Compute focused GPU has slightly exceeded the transistor density of NV's GA100, according to these specs on Techpowerup:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-mi100.g927
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga100.g931

AMD MI100 - 66.7M / mm²
NVIDIA GA100 - 65.6M / mm²

I don't know if Nvidia or AMD used an improved / EUV 7nm fab. process for these GPU dies.

It shows that AMD can still get more out of the 7nm process, and perhaps Nvidia will aim for similar transistor densities if they choose to use TSMC 7nm in future products.

AFAIK none of them are using a performance [GPU] optimised 7nm w/ EUV process even yet so this is just regular 7nm as well.

Associate
AFAIK none of them are using a performance [GPU] optimised 7nm w/ EUV process even yet so this is just regular 7nm as well.
I read the same thing's, wonder if the Ti's in Q1 are somehow a good step above AMD if we will see an improved node from AMD 2021 before Navi 3?

Caporegime
Won't we be able to get reference for RRP like Nvidia ?

Doubtful, or at the least v v v few cards. Between etailers and scalpers it's gonna be a free-for-all!!! :D

Only reason FE is such a good deal is that nV sell direct and *must* stick to it, even though they're currently using a partner to sell through them it still must be stuck to.

Associate
Doubtful, or at the least v v v few cards. Between etailers and scalpers it's gonna be a free-for-all!!! :D

Only reason FE is such a good deal is that nV sell direct and *must* stick to it, even though they're currently using a partner to sell through them it still must be stuck to.
It all depends, AMD have gone to great lengths to have very clear and defined optics on price and performance. I wouldn't be so sure there are some of the top retailers who want to keep the hand that feeds happy.
I suspect we will see some msrp today, but we all know there are 30000 people and not 30000 cards.

Soldato
I'm going to enjoy owing one of these new cards vicariously through YouTube.

I would love to buy one but I just can't justify the expense, I don't game all that much these days and the games I typically play are older titles. With the economy as it is it's more important for me to have 6 months of runway behind me incase I lose my job. Trying to save that much in expenses is hard enough let alone trying the find money for a new PC.

Associate
I'm going to enjoy owing one of these new cards vicariously through YouTube.

I would love to buy one but I just can't justify the expense, I don't game all that much these days and the games I typically play are older titles. With the economy as it is it's more important for me to have 6 months of runway behind me incase I lose my job. Trying to save that much in expenses is hard enough let alone trying the find money for a new PC.

A very sensible and pragmatic attitude to have - hats off to you. It does make me wonder, however, given what's going on in the world at the moment, why a lot of people aren't adopting a similar strategy. Between people losing their jobs, small businesses folding and furlough schemes you'd think luxury items like GPUs and gaming consoles would be beyond the reach of many. Apparently not, though ....

Man of Honour
A very sensible and pragmatic attitude to have - hats off to you. It does make me wonder, however, given what's going on in the world at the moment, why a lot of people aren't adopting a similar strategy. Between people losing their jobs, small businesses folding and furlough schemes you'd think luxury items like GPUs and gaming consoles would be beyond the reach of many. Apparently not, though ....

i suspect most regulars on ocuk forums are higher earners than average with better job security/have an easily transferable skill set, hence more likely to do better from covid/lockdown due to less expenses and saving more

Associate
i suspect most regulars on ocuk forums are higher earners than average with better job security/have an easily transferable skill set, hence more likely to do better from covid/lockdown due to less expenses and saving more

You’re probably right with respect to OcUK forum-goers, but doesn’t explain the internet at large eg. Reddit, YouTube and other social media platforms.

Associate
My partner has quite a senior position... QUOTE]

Yeah, changed days now though. Loads of options for 0% for a few months etc so a lot easier to finance without interest now that it was years ago. Guess it's just the culture now. I sincerely hope people don't get into difficulties with it though as I guess the interest when it starts getting charged is fairly significant.

Associate
My partner has quite a senior position at Scan in Bolton, they was recently telling me that between the Nvidia 3000 series Gpus and AMD 5000 Series Cpus the use of Never Never (finance) has gone through the roof. Majority of online sales was financed, followed by credit cards and finally Debit..... Feels like the Apple mentality of needing it right now at launch has infested PC along with Techtubers being paid to hype hype and then the sheep follow, I don't ever remember it being this crazy even right back to 1995 and my first GPU (Ati Mach 64)

My first post BTW I just felt obliged to comment so I signed up.

Interesting ... but fits in with what I presumed is happening. Hype, FOMO ... they are powerful psychological weapons !

Associate
My partner has quite a senior position at .... in Bolton, they was recently telling me that between the Nvidia 3000 series Gpus and AMD 5000 Series Cpus the use of Never Never (finance) has gone through the roof. Majority of online sales was financed, followed by credit cards and finally Debit..... Feels like the Apple mentality of needing it right now at launch has infested PC along with Techtubers being paid to hype hype and then the sheep follow, I don't ever remember it being this crazy even right back to 1995 and my first GPU (Ati Mach 64)

My first post BTW I just felt obliged to comment so I signed up.
Welcome, interesting observation.
Edit, dratted competitor policy

Associate
Yeah, changed days now though. Loads of options for 0% for a few months etc so a lot easier to finance without interest now that it was years ago. Guess it's just the culture now. I sincerely hope people don't get into difficulties with it though as I guess the interest when it starts getting charged is fairly significant.
Yep, 0% for 6, 9, 12 months is great but those arrangements come with a hefty price tag if you don't pay off before the interest free period is up.

Associate
Must have missed it somewhere but when does the benchmarks NDA lift?

not until they list at 2pm as far as I know ?

It’s crazy and I find it arrogant of AMD to be honest, people buying a product they have no idea how it will perform look like or even cost totally blind. Hey ho I’m sure they’ll sell like hot cakes :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
You’re probably right with respect to OcUK forum-goers, but doesn’t explain the internet at large eg. Reddit, YouTube and other social media platforms.
true. agree with what the rest have said...FOMO, keeping up with the joneses, BNPL financing etc
i guess it's easier to sell a £1200 item labelled as £100/mth x 12 payments + interest
weird mentality to have, but understandable

Back
Top Bottom