• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU price increases

Associate
So after the 30 series BS launch and scalperfest, it seems the retailers are increasing the prices!
As if it's not hard enough to get a 3080 now, some of us would like to see the goods at the time of purchase and not hand our money over straight away, so we're basically charged for holding back by companies inflating pricing, WTF!

It really saddens me to see this, I've checked most major retailers and it looks a similar thing, this just stinks of a pre release ploy by Nvidia to release at very low prices and only having a low number of GPU's at launch but not for a minute expecting the massive demand.

I think I'll hang on to my 1080Ti until the dust settles, I'm pretty tempted to go and get a PS5 but they're as rare as rocking horse poo also lol.

Soldato
At the end of the day who are the idiots them for charging so much or the people paying it.
Stop paying it and the price will come down.

Their in business to make money not be your friend. You charge as much as people are willing to pay, and clearly by the number of pre-orders they weren't charging enough.

GTX670 was the last expensive card I had now I have a GTX1660, refuse to spend any more on a GPU.

Soldato
So after the 30 series BS launch and scalperfest, it seems the retailers are increasing the prices!
As if it's not hard enough to get a 3080 now, some of us would like to see the goods at the time of purchase and not hand our money over straight away, so we're basically charged for holding back by companies inflating pricing, WTF!

It really saddens me to see this, I've checked most major retailers and it looks a similar thing, this just stinks of a pre release ploy by Nvidia to release at very low prices and only having a low number of GPU's at launch but not for a minute expecting the massive demand.

I think I'll hang on to my 1080Ti until the dust settles, I'm pretty tempted to go and get a PS5 but they're as rare as rocking horse poo also lol.
you cant blame retailers if people are stupid enough to pay those prices. business is business, if people dont buy then prices return to normal, simples

Associate
The only way to win in this situation my friend is to not purchase a card until things calm down.
Join the rat race or wait a good 6 months, ironically if you can wait you will get the best card for the least money vs today.

bru

bru

Soldato
Imagine if certain high street stores were to do the same, TV's at £999 while stocks last. Only to find that the last few units are actually £1100 and the next batch are £1200. Or Mars bars increasing in price just because of a successful ad campaign that increases demand.

If only we the public, could have a bit of restraint and say no we won't pay over the odds for certain goods, this type of practice would stop pretty sharpish.

Associate
NVIDIA didn't leave much wriggle room for AIBs when they underpriced the FEs. They have the financial cushion to be a loss leader, but can't expect the same from AIBs who need viable margins to survive.

Caporegime
If going to try the roulette wheel today. But I'm right on the edge of just going with an xbox.

I can't remember gpus every being more than the brand new consoles for Upper mid tier.

There's always been an odd 3090 price point.

800 for 3080...xbox under 500
That's 300 difference! And it's actually mostly bigger than that.

If this was a blip that would be one thing, but the way its looking this is the new norm. I also need a cpu boost. So you're looking at 1.5k to bring my pc up to a xbox.
I could get a switch, ps5, xbox and still have change left over for price of bringing my desktop up to scratch.

At that point it's better to get the xbox and keep the pc as is. 3 or 4 gens behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember the summer press about 'Ampere/Big Navi' price wars, powerful kit at knock-down prices once AMD toppled Nvidia's high-end monopoly. Here's hoping eh?

Associate
OP
If going to try the roulette wheel today. But I'm right on the edge of just going with an xbox.

I can't remember gpus every being more than the brand new consoles for Upper mid tier.

There's always been an odd 3090 price point.

800 for 3080...xbox under 500
That's 300 difference! And it's actually mostly bigger than that.

If this was a blip that would be one thing, but the way its looking this is the new norm. I also need a cpu boost. So you're looking at 1.5k to bring my pc up to a xbox.
I could get a switch, ps5, xbox and still have change left over for price of bringing my desktop up to scratch.

At that point it's better to get the xbox and keep the pc as is. 3 or 4 gens behind.

Similar thinking, I was going for the RTX 3080 to give me an FPS boost while gaming and streaming with 3 monitors but I'm sure my current system would stream some decent footage from the PS5, shame about the majority of my games on steam though and would be a waste, definitely worth keeping options open just now though.

Associate
I reckon there will be a GPU price war next year. Should be loads of supply once Christmas is done and it makes sense for AMD to go for market share since they're at 20%.

Both Nvidia and AMD also have lots of prior gen stock in the channel to shift first as well.

Soldato
NVIDIA didn't leave much wriggle room for AIBs when they underpriced the FEs. They have the financial cushion to be a loss leader, but can't expect the same from AIBs who need viable margins to survive.

This is part of the problem when you think £650 for a graphics card is underpriced.

I maybe in a minority, but I think £650 is overpriced, personally.

Suppose we have Nvidia to thank for this.

Back
Top Bottom