BMW continue with their hostile "OK Boomer" marketing angle, despite criticism...

Soldato
I think you're overreacting a little to be honest. I'm not sure why it bothers you so much what my opinion is.

On a scale of 'posting on a forum' to 'a tweet will make me reconsider a car purchase', I don't think i'm particularly high on the overreaction scale :p

Commissario
I'm personally really sad about the new direction they've taken. I am a big BMW fan - I've bought nobody else's products since 2006.

However for me the last great looking car they make is the current 3 Series. I'd imagine this will get the wacky treatment at the facelift so at the current direction of travel I'll probably buy a pre facelift one of those and hope it lasts me sufficient time to get over this chapter in the companies history. People said wed grow to love the Bangle era and most people never did, I see this as even worse.

There is surely a space in the market for a company to make cars that don't look like they came from a school project on 'cars of the future'?

I'm not sure where else I'll go if not BMW. A decent BMW is just so right in every area - great engines, great to drive, fantastic interiors, great infotainment and good looking on the outside.

Who are they trying to appeal with by taking that route on social media? Not many people who'd find that hilarious are buying £70,000 SUV's are they?
Nicely spec'd dravit grey M340i touring for sale in about 4 years time mate? ;)

Soldato
Why shouldn't a companies practices influence your decision to buy or not buy their products?

Practices like using slave labour or burning down half a rainforest to build a factory, sure. Things that actually impact the world or your life.

Being put off a brand because they tweeted 'OK Boomer' is both hilarious and bizarre. It's the sort of reaction that most would label as being a snow flake.

In terms of purchasing magnitude, it's a whole world away from not buying £5 Gilette razors because their advert called you a rapist.

I very much doubt BMW are worried about losing business from these tweets.

They may well be worried about losing business from their horrific new design language though.

Caporegime
OP
I can see why it would make someone think "well sod you then" and buy an Audi. Lots of people are principle driven and don't take that sort of behaviour lightly.

Its the sort of reaction that would make YOU label someone as that, but I really dont think you speak for everyone.

Also be careful with that term, you'll get a free forum holiday. :p

Caporegime
OP
Any moment now Kenai and Hades will be repeatedly yelling OK BOOMER at each other, each trying to shout louder than the other.

You have a difference of opinion, its fine. Its not an important subject. :p

Soldato
If BMW tweeting 'OK Boomer' as a response to 'Go back to making BMWs' is enough to put you off buying their cars, were you actually that serious about considering one?

A **** taking tweet would struggle to get any lower on my list of things to consider when deciding which new car to buy.

People buy into the company, the ecosystem and the lifestyle these companies promote. Of course people will be influenced by what they put out on social media.

Associate
Resfusal to make Android Auto an option has kept me away from BMW in the past (not had an Apple phone since the 4s). Looks like the fact that they're pug ugly will keep me away in the future!

Soldato

Interestingly, it happened, albeit on a much smaller scale with Chris Bangle and the E60. And by the end of that cars life, it actually fitted in rather well with other vehicles being produced at the time.

I'm also sure that BMW losing one follower on TweetBook is a real inconvenience to them and will immediately make them stand up and realise the error of their ways...

Back
Top Bottom