Restaurants doing 'cook at home boxes'

Soldato
A few restaurants in Glasgow are doing these, and I've had a couple and they are a good compromise between a take away and going out.

It's my birthday a week on Saturday, and now the restaurants up here are shut I'm looking to order one. I thought I'd throw the net a bit further afield and see if any places are doing UK delivery and can anyone recommend?

I'm pretty flexible with what I eat, no dietary requirements. I lean more towards fish than meat. And if you want to do a hard mode, they'd also cater for a vegan diner (my girlfriend) but she's equally happy with a takeaway if needs be.

Budget? Up to £100. I've found Elite Bistro who seem good!

Associate
Not done any yet but my friends have recommended Rick Stein's home offering. Could be a good option if you prefer seafood.

My parents have just ordered the Thai box from six by Nico ("Home-X") so I'll find out how that goes (I think they are launching a vegan menu as well).

I was going to order Chakoo's home tasting menu which looks brilliant value but can't travel into weegie land now to collect it

Soldato
My parents have just ordered the Thai box from six by Nico ("Home-X") so I'll find out how that goes (I think they are launching a vegan menu as well).

£60 seems very reasonable for a starter, main, 2 sides, cheese course, dessert and a bottle of wine for 2 people. I'd probably spend £25-30 making it all from scratch.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm going to go for the Unbiqutious Chip box for £45 for one.

Sourdough, parmesan and shallot butter.
Cured sea trourt, miso, sesame, watercress.
Confit rabbit and foie gras terrine, muscat jelly, pickles.
Braised ox cheek, fennel, kale and gruyere gratin, glazed carrots, bone marrow sauce.
Dark chocolate and sour cherry opera cake.
Petit fours to finish.

Not done any yet but my friends have recommended Rick Stein's home offering. Could be a good option if you prefer seafood.

I was going to order Chakoo's home tasting menu which looks brilliant value but can't travel into weegie land now to collect it

I was going to get their vegan option and throw in some meat for me, but they've sold out for next weekend now!

Chakoo is definitely going on the list, we went to Dishoom last weekend and Chakoo is just as good imo.

£60 seems very reasonable for a starter, main, 2 sides, cheese course, dessert and a bottle of wine for 2 people. I'd probably spend £25-30 making it all from scratch.

I've eaten at Nicos quite a few times and it's very good and great value but sold out for delivery for next week. Definitely worth trying them now they do UK delivery.

Associate
I think I'm going to go for the Unbiqutious Chip box for £45 for one.

Sourdough, parmesan and shallot butter.
Cured sea trourt, miso, sesame, watercress.
Confit rabbit and foie gras terrine, muscat jelly, pickles.
Braised ox cheek, fennel, kale and gruyere gratin, glazed carrots, bone marrow sauce.
Dark chocolate and sour cherry opera cake.
Petit fours to finish.

I was going to get their vegan option and throw in some meat for me, but they've sold out for next weekend now!

Chakoo is definitely going on the list, we went to Dishoom last weekend and Chakoo is just as good imo.

I've eaten at Nicos quite a few times and it's very good and great value but sold out for delivery for next week. Definitely worth trying them now they do UK delivery.

That's a fantastic menu, I'd have a bit of that. Might check them out when we go down to my Mum's the weekend before xmas (covid permitting).

The restaurant in Aberdeen I used to work in was amongst the first to do this; Moonfish Cafe. Brian's obviously itching to get back to normal, but this has kept him going. We did it for my birthday at the start of the month, was great. Only 3 courses, plus bread:

Confit Salmon, Burnt Lemon, Broad Bean, Puffed Rice

Pork Shoulder and Fennel Pie

Prune and Armagnac Tart with Citrus Clotted Cream

Back
Top Bottom