• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
In Origins/Odyssey I set the HUD elements to minimal. You can't see your destination marker without it. Also the game is way harder when you have no idea how much health you have left - I died in Origins a lot because of this. The games look really nice with the whole HUD off though.

Will give it a try see how i go.

Soldato

1. MCC, Cold War, Destiny 2, and BFV total more than 364GB on my One S. On the other hand, the smallest 100 games on my One S's external drive would fit within the 364GB limit. So mileage is clearly going to vary greatly. If you're in to multiplayer shooters, you're going to run in to problems (as Kreee pointed out previously) as many are comfortably in to the 50GB-100GB range (with a few passing 100GB).

2. Isn't that on a game-by-game basis, requiring a patch? How many games will be patched? Only time will tell. It's supposedly trivially easy, yet very few games were patched for launch...

3. A lot of projection going on here. I'm simply concerned about the variability when it comes to game performance on Series S. While some games simply see a resolution drop from 4K to 1440p (or 1080p), others see features cut, or frame rate caps dropped to 30fps. It's not about wanting the peak visual experience. That should have been clear from the very first sentence of my post. But I would like a consistent one, preferably 1080p and 60fps at a minimum.

Last edited:
Soldato
1 - seems shooters are hit particularly hard then, might explain why its more important to some than others. My only 80 gig game is ff7 remake which is a ps4 game. Do you regularly rotate between all 4 games?
2 - As far as I know its a change to the BC flag system, I expect Microsoft will flag games it works on and wont need the game developer to contribute, so unless is bugs introduced or performance is lower than expected, I expect it to be enabled on many games. So if a game is already 60fps i expect it wont have the doubler enabed.
3 - I think this will be the case once the doubler patch comes out, I dont think we will see 360 and older gen games change though, but that is also the same on the X.

Soldato
I've filled my Series S up already and last night had to delete a game as a Gears 5 10GB update took the last bit of space. It currently has 15 games installed but half of those are little games (Hotshot racing style) and I haven't installed any massive games like Halo or COD on it. The biggest is Forza Horizon 4 at 71.4GB so storage is going to be an issue for most gamers, maybe not for those that play 1 game from start to finish but to me one of the benefits of gamepass is being able to dip in and out of different types of games so I'll add some external storage at some point.

It would make sense as a gamepass console to enjoy the back catalogue if they start updating some of the old games so they run better, I see the 60fps boost thing so thats promising but really they need a resolution bump.

It's hard to say at the minute as developers need time to bring games out that make use of the new capabilities but I'd say the Series S is more of a 1.5 Next Gen rather than 2.0 like the PS5 and Series X. Great for parents and those just wanting a cheap gamepass machine (although once cloud gaming comes to TV's it could lose some of that market) but for me its clear that most of the games available now do look much better on the Series X or even One X due to BC enhancements. Not enough for me to go out and buy one (if I could find one) but it does make me think maybe I'll play this on the pc instead.
First world problems hey :p I took a chance, I can sell it without a loss so it doesn't really matter but I am starting to think I probably should have kept the One X until some big hitting next gen games came out and then bought the Series X next year.

That said maybe in a few months time when we have some new games on gamepass I won't care about missing out on the one x enhanced versions of older games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok just started cold war been playing about 30 ish minutes just at the part to create my character.

Then,

My external USB HDD disconnects that I'm recording 4k game DVR to.

Then my controller disconnects from the system.

can't get the controller to reconnect with the series X via wireless or cable.

Had to fully power down and boot back up the series X to get it working again.

Strange...

Associate
I've filled my Series S up already and last night had to delete a game as a Gears 5 10GB update took the last bit of space. It currently has 15 games installed but half of those are little games (Hotshot racing style) and I haven't installed any massive games like Halo or COD on it. The biggest is Forza Horizon 4 at 71.4GB so storage is going to be an issue for most gamers, maybe not for those that play 1 game from start to finish but to me one of the benefits of gamepass is being able to dip in and out of different types of games so I'll add some external storage at some point.

It would make sense as a gamepass console to enjoy the back catalogue if they start updating some of the old games so they run better, I see the 60fps boost thing so thats promising but really they need a resolution bump.

It's hard to say at the minute as developers need time to bring games out that make use of the new capabilities but I'd say the Series S is more of a 1.5 Next Gen rather than 2.0 like the PS5 and Series X. Great for parents and those just wanting a cheap gamepass machine (although once cloud gaming comes to TV's it could lose some of that market) but for me its clear that most of the games available now do look much better on the Series X or even One X due to BC enhancements. Not enough for me to go out and buy one (if I could find one) but it does make me think maybe I'll play this on the pc instead.
First world problems hey :p I took a chance, I can sell it without a loss so it doesn't really matter but I am starting to think I probably should have kept the One X until some big hitting next gen games came out and then bought the Series X next year.

That said maybe in a few months time when we have some new games on gamepass I won't care about missing out on the one x enhanced versions of older games.

I think it definitely depends on what you're used to, coming from a PS4 and a middling gaming laptop the Series S feels like a solid upgrade. I also think having a smaller 4K TV helps, or you could try sitting a bit further back!

Soldato
Soldato
It feels wrong that after only a few days on xbsx, i am already back to ps4 pro as i want to finish odyssey

Will take a break from ac after that though, even though valhalla there.

Speaking of valhalla, reminded about what a nice experience it was getting that running. Set xbox to download long before my diac arrived. I was expecting when I put my disc in I'd be having some issue, but fired up straight away.

Unlike trying to get cold war working...

Man of Honour
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09...xbox-series-s-custom-storage-solution-primer/

Basically anything enhanced for Series X or S needs to be on the internal, enhanced for One X can be external is my understanding.

https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-master-chief-collection-xbox-series-x-series-s-upgrades-now-live

That was my understanding too, but there are reports of people running the games with X and S enhancements off an external drive. Same for Ori too apparently. Haven't tested any of these claims myself.

Soldato
https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-master-chief-collection-xbox-series-x-series-s-upgrades-now-live

That was my understanding too, but there are reports of people running the games with X and S enhancements off an external drive. Same for Ori too apparently. Haven't tested any of these claims myself.

To me it reads like all Xbox One games will run off external drives, while the SeriesX/S specific versions will need to be on the internal or expansion SSD. The Xbox One games with enhancements are still Xbox One games, after all.

Soldato
Ok just started cold war been playing about 30 ish minutes just at the part to create my character.

Then,

My external USB HDD disconnects that I'm recording 4k game DVR to.

Then my controller disconnects from the system.

can't get the controller to reconnect with the series X via wireless or cable.

Had to fully power down and boot back up the series X to get it working again.

Strange...

I get this with the Arctis 9x and Cold War, flashing controller and hard reset to get it back.

Soldato
Just picked up my replacement series X.

Now home and prey it works :(

big shout out to GAME for this, they went the extra mile to source one for me, when clearly they could have just said, about waiting or a refund..

Man of Honour
Just picked up my replacement series X.

Now home and prey it works :(

big shout out to GAME for this, they went the extra mile to source one for me, when clearly they could have just said, about waiting or a refund..

Sounds like you’ve been treated really well. That could have been a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom