** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
I am in almost the exact same position. My X34P is flawless, but I have a real urge to get a G9 - 130+ pages of discussion on issues is kinda offputting though!

I actually found somewhere selling "refurbed" G9's for a sizeable saving, but that's likely an even bigger crap shoot than buying new?

really Torn with this, the X34P has to go to make up the money, so if i end up with a crapper ill have to resort to using a 4k Tv to work on for a while.... Wish we could accurately gauge just what percentage of models have issues!

lets just wait it out a little while longer, still not able to get a 3080 :( OCuk prices went up on the tuf gaming, im sure it was 729.99 before??? 6800xt launches tomorrow? too many choices/options lol.

Associate
Got my eyes peeled awaiting 6900XT benchmarking.... if it positively destroys my 2080ti I may bite the bullet, otherwise ill wait for the 3080ti.
But then monitor goes on the back burner for a bit!

Shame samsung launched such an awesome bit of kit, plagued by issues, and dont appear to have really made a dent in sorting the issues!!

Associate
Samsung published at least 9 firmware updates for this monitor in 7 months. They did not even bother to publish what was changed in the firmware until the very last update. There are software and hardware issues. Buying this monitor is definitely a lottery. I have played it only once and lost. I have got N7 with popping plastics, scanlines and unstable brightness.
I have visited two retailers and saw an upper edge peeling off and brightness fluctuation on their demo pieces.
You can play the lottery but I would recommend doing it only if you have enough time and energy. I would definitely keep a flawless monitor while searching for a perfect G9.

Samsung is more likely to introduce a new 49" monitor before they manage to fix G9. Once they release a new one you can forget about about new firmware updates for G9. G9 was first shown in January 2020 on CES.
There are definitely improvement opportunities:
- HDMI 2.1
- better HDR with an adequate number of local dimming zones (not 10 but something like 500+)
- proper stand for a monitor of this size (taller and more robust because monitor shakes a lot when you touch the joystick)
- version with an arm which you can attach to your desk (the included G9 stand just takes too much of a desk space)

Associate
can confirm firmware 1008.1 removes all flickering completely i was getting ever so slight flicker on last firmware even at a point i thought it was gone it actually wasnt but after enabling vrr and running resolution at 5120x1440 rgb 10bpc and full dynamic range it is running issue free only issue i have now with this monitor is 2 dead pixels which 99% of the time i dont notice so im happy to live with this

Associate
can confirm firmware 1008.1 removes all flickering completely i was getting ever so slight flicker on last firmware even at a point i thought it was gone it actually wasnt but after enabling vrr and running resolution at 5120x1440 rgb 10bpc and full dynamic range it is running issue free only issue i have now with this monitor is 2 dead pixels which 99% of the time i dont notice so im happy to live with this

giphy.gif

Associate
Don't waste 4 hours of your life like I've just done. I was fortunate enough to get a EVGA FTW3 3080 Ultra and installed that in place of a 2080 Super. Installed 3080 and it would load to sign on screen and then instantly black screen, nothing, nadda, not a single pxiel alive. No problem, I thought, must be the driver, I'll start in safe mode, uninstall the old driver, and install the new one.... Nope, nothing, restart about 20 times in safe mode trying different things...

Surely it can't be a frequency setting (monitor was set to 240).... No that can't be right, must try other things first.... another hour passes...

Changed the 240 setting on the monitor to 120 and bingo, everything as it should be....

At least its working at 120 but 240 is a no no. I'll contiune to investigate.

Associate
Don't waste 4 hours of your life like I've just done. I was fortunate enough to get a EVGA FTW3 3080 Ultra and installed that in place of a 2080 Super. Installed 3080 and it would load to sign on screen and then instantly black screen, nothing, nadda, not a single pxiel alive. No problem, I thought, must be the driver, I'll start in safe mode, uninstall the old driver, and install the new one.... Nope, nothing, restart about 20 times in safe mode trying different things...

Surely it can't be a frequency setting (monitor was set to 240).... No that can't be right, must try other things first.... another hour passes...

Changed the 240 setting on the monitor to 120 and bingo, everything as it should be....

Have you tried firmware 1008.1 mentioned above? I've been running mine at 120Hz for the last week (as only the hotfix firmware was working, which doesn't work in more recent games), but just upgraded to 1008.1 and can run everything at full res, 240Hz, G-SYNC with 10-bit colour.

Associate
Have you tried firmware 1008.1 mentioned above? I've been running mine at 120Hz for the last week (as only the hotfix firmware was working, which doesn't work in more recent games), but just upgraded to 1008.1 and can run everything at full res, 240Hz, G-SYNC with 10-bit colour.

Cheers, that’s good to know. Will do. I’ve not updated the firmware before as didn’t have screen issues until now. I’ll try later tonight.

What nVidia version are you running? The latest 457.30?

Associate
Cheers, that’s good to know. Will do. I’ve not updated the firmware before as didn’t have screen issues until now. I’ll try later tonight.

What nVidia version are you running? The latest 457.30?
Yep, on 457.30. After upgrade you'll probably want to turn on VRR under the System menu (you need to scroll all the way down to the second page). There are some reports of it micro-stuttering (although I haven't noticed it yet), but better than it not working at all!

Associate
Yep, on 457.30. After upgrade you'll probably want to turn on VRR under the System menu (you need to scroll all the way down to the second page). There are some reports of it micro-stuttering (although I haven't noticed it yet), but better than it not working at all!

Excellent. Thank you.

Associate

Have you installed the nvidia hotfix for 3080 / 240hz issues? https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5099
I installed this and it sorted the problem. I have since installed later Nvidia game ready drivers with no ill effects.
Presumably the hotfix remains `in place`

Associate
Have you installed the nvidia hotfix for 3080 / 240hz issues? https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5099
I installed this and it sorted the problem. I have since installed later Nvidia game ready drivers with no ill effects.
Presumably the hotfix remains `in place`

1008.1 firmware with 457.30 Game Ready driver solved the issue. Happy days!

Associate
Yeah, things are definitely improved for me too. Before this update I couldn't even change my screen to 240hz (it would just turn it black) on the latest drivers. Although some games are still messed up, like Resident Evil 3. Every time I boot that up, it's constantly changing from HDR on to HDR off, giving me a constant switch from black screen to on and even shows a weird split where half the screen is in HDR mode and the other half isn't. It automatically enables HDR too, so it's not even enabled in the Windows settings.

Edit: Nevermind, got RE3 to work at 240hz, just had to disable HDR until after I set the game to 240hz in the game's settings. Some other games still act a bit weird though. Tried downloading Deep Rock Galactic on Gamepass and that game cuts to black whenever you use the start menu for me. Sometimes it'll go back to normal after a second, other times it just won't.

Last edited:
Associate
Was just wondering if any of you guys have streamed with the G9? with the x34 I’ve had endless problems with aspect ratios (trying to stream 16:9) in the end I found playing the game in windowed mode is the best ‘fix’
Iv had a play with virtual monitor programs, tried ‘display fusion’ but can’t get a borderless 2560x1440 window, hows your experiences been?

Associate
Hello everyone. I don't want to create another thread and spam the forums.

I have bought G7 32" and the monitor works with one exception. When I have adaptive sync turned on in the monitor settings and in the nvidia panel, the monitor does not get signal after rebooting the computer. Monitor powers on and after 1-2 sec everything goes black (including leds on the monitor). It boots up, goes black and so on.

If the PC is powered off and I turn it on - everything is working fine, no problems. If PC is sleeping and I wake it up - again everything is ok, no problems. The problem is only after restarting the computer that monitor won't get signal.

I have the latest bios on the MSI Z370 Gaming M5 motherboard, the latest bios on the RTX3080 TUF OC, the latest firmware in the monitor, from November of this year.

I tried to switch ports on monitor and GPU - nothing. The problem is only happening when FreeSync is turned on. If I plug my old monitor through HDMI - both monitors wake up after restarting the PC. Any suggestions?

And sorry for any text mistakes, English is not my native language.

Associate
I bought a 3080 to replace my 1080ti. This fixed my gsync flicker. The latest drivers and firmware have solved any other remaining issues apart from iracing where it won’t do 240+hdr it just reboots. All other games flawless though... have reinstalled iracing but I’m guessing it’s one of those games like other people are mentioning that aren’t quite right yet. It’s obv an old game too compared to others I run. Also can’t get gsync to run on iracing either. Wired. Was thinking of reinstalling windows because gsync did work at some point but not sure I can face it!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the same boat & will try emailing them, thanks :)

Any luck?

I had my order refunded all of a sudden, even though I was waiting for a replacement.
I complained and mentioned that the price has gone up and they've replied saying the max voucher they can issue is for £70.
That won't be enough to reduce the price back to what I paid.
The only issue I had was one dead pixel... I never noticed it and was going to keep the monitor but someone convinced me to send it back.

Associate
The G93 is now back in stock at Samsung, ordered one for delivery tomorrow, let's hope it's perfect!

The Employee/Student discount store price is now higher than it was when I bought the first one. As I asked for a replacement but they refunded me due to no stock I called and they sent me a promo code to return it to the £1023 I paid originally.

I'm in exactly the same position, but they've offered me a code for 70 quid. I don't suppose you have a contact name or case reference that you could pm me?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom