Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Soldato
I do a bit of sneaking first, take out a few from in the grass then send my army to battle. Feels like I'm cheating a bit using the legendary pre order gear though. I do have a nice spear I use often, although not legendary etc.

Soldato
The game does an excellent job of making every task or activity feel like it fits. Linking them to the settlement is a great way to go about it. For example you don't just open up your menu and change your crew, you have to build the barracks first and go there. I like it a lot when games do that.

The only change I would make to the settlement(and it is great as it is btw) is a way to let you choose where to put buildings, even if it is just choosing between 2 for each space. At least that way everyone wouldnt end up, with exactly the same.

Man of Honour
So to continue the ongoing "impressions" that I've been doing throughout this thread. You'll remember that my general theme through the thread and game has been that it didnt grab me initially, in the way that both Origins and Odyssey did, but that the more I played of it the more I liked it. I'm 35 hours in now, the combat has really grown on me the more abilities I get and I do actually find that the elite enemies are tougher to defeat than in the previous two AC games (on higher combat difficulty at least). I tried lowering the difficulty on the combat and the elites and bosses were very dull and easy to beat but when you push that combat difficulty up they really do very well at countering your moves and creating combos of their own. For much more dynamic combat, I highly recommend pushing that combat difficulty up, makes the fighting so much better.

I'm at a stage now where I am content to say that I now feel like Valhalla is on a par with Origins in my rating. Odyssey still pips it for me , because of a personal fondness for the Odyssey setting and because I really do like all the loot in Odyssey and its probably the biggest thing I miss in Valhalla. If only I could take the systems and mechanics I liked most in Odyssey and put them with the systems and mechanics I like most in Valhalla, it would without doubt create my favourite AC game.

Soldato
I'm coming to that conclusion as well I think. About the same as origins, maybe a bit better, but not as good as Odyssey.

For me I think it would be much better if absolutely everything in the game was just a bit slower: combat, running, climbing, the horse, the boat. Everything is too fast imo. It all needs more weight to it imo.

Soldato
I think the combat is about right and likely they were hesitant to go slower. I think weapons do feel like the do have more weight to them and sometimes say using duel wield two handed weapons (with perk that allows it) you really do feel the weight. I think adding more would really turn people off, more so from Odyssey which was lightning fast for most the part IMO.

Associate
ended up subbing to uplay+ for this and only done the first mission so far but i like what ive seen so far for the most part
i know ive only just started but aside from the vikings theme it doesnt feel like its going to have anything special over the last 2 AC games

Man of Honour
ended up subbing to uplay+ for this and only done the first mission so far but i like what ive seen so far for the most part
i know ive only just started but aside from the vikings theme it doesnt feel like its going to have anything special over the last 2 AC games

The game really takes off once you reach England, I think that most people would agree with me that the England parts of the game are simply better than the initial Norway start

Soldato
Just moved to England which is way more attractive, a couple of things, on the PC how on earth do I parry as I am finding combat a bit of a chore.
The other point is when you get a minor quest, a mystery or whatever why is it not listed? I got one yesterday, was distracted and then found I did not have a clue what I was supposed to be doing when I got back to the game.
The lack of wildlife is also an issue surely the land would be teeming with it?

Soldato
Caved in and got the standard edition with a discount in the end. Not a good move considering I haven't finished Death Stranding yet and I promised myself I won't buy anything else this year but oh, well...

TBH, this game feels different than both Origins and Odyssey. The first impression is actually a bit more positive than Odyssey. Maybe it's just my imagination but it's less janky and floaty and the combat still feels heavier with the finishers looking less janky as well. Not perfect but decently enjoyable. Movement/camera outside combat feel closer to Origins which is a good sign for me and I have to say Norway is pretty damn cool so far.

Overall feels more like it's been made by the studio behind Origins, which it has IIRC.

If the map turns out to be indeed more sparse and focused while still being varied and atmospheric, then I think I'll enjoy this.

Associate
I only ended up spending like 2 hours in Norway - not sure how I escaped quicker than everyone else. England is a lot better (obviously :))

Combat is a bit hack and slash atm though and I'm like 6-7 hours in - I can see how it improves with the more abilities you locate though. Great game overall! Viking raids are awesome :)

Associate
The game really takes off once you reach England, I think that most people would agree with me that the England parts of the game are simply better than the initial Norway start

The trouble i have is that im like you in the sense i have to fully finish an area before moving on lol so might take a bit before i get there :D

Back
Top Bottom