*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Permabanned
Question to you owners: For using Link, if you don't have a USB C port on your mobo, can you just use a USB A to USB C cable (via a USB3 port ofc)? Payday is about a week away and I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Q2 and want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Main use is going to be playing Elite Dangerous tethered, but also all the other good stuff for standalone as well.

Yes any USB 3+ cable with C on the Quest end.

Soldato
Question to you owners: For using Link, if you don't have a USB C port on your mobo, can you just use a USB A to USB C cable (via a USB3 port ofc)? Payday is about a week away and I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Q2 and want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Main use is going to be playing Elite Dangerous tethered, but also all the other good stuff for standalone as well.

yes usbA to C is fine, just dont skimp too much esp if looking at 5m.. I have the following 5m with booster arriving tomorrow i will post back how well it runs.

i could have got the non booster one but figured for an extra few quid (£29.59 delivered) it was worth it... I am wondering if cables which worked ok before at 72hz lower bitrate may hit the ceiling when trying to push to a much higher bitrate and at 90hz.... the official optical one his hugely higher bandwidth apparently giveing the full usb3, but for quest 1 it was massively over engineered. Will it be for quest 2? I dunno.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0879DGZ5W/?th=1

actually the booster one has sold out so .........

Soldato
how long does it take to charge?

my Quest 1 would be charged by now, im only at 65% :confused:

I've never tested that :D. I don't tend to play until the battery is fully drained, and top it up with a battery pack when I notice it dropping to 50% or lower. It is a larger battery though, it needs to be to reach the same runtime but with more powerful innards.

Soldato
yes usbA to C is fine, just dont skimp too much esp if looking at 5m.. I have the following 5m with booster arriving tomorrow i will post back how well it runs.

i could have got the non booster one but figured for an extra few quid (£29.59 delivered) it was worth it... I am wondering if cables which worked ok before at 72hz lower bitrate may hit the ceiling when trying to push to a much higher bitrate and at 90hz.... the official optical one his hugely higher bandwidth apparently giveing the full usb3, but for quest 1 it was massively over engineered. Will it be for quest 2? I dunno.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0879DGZ5W/?th=1

actually the booster one has sold out so .........

I'll be very interested to see how well it runs. I received that cable yesterday without booster and it is only registering as a USB2 cable. Would you mind trying yours with and without booster to compare what version USB it picks it up as, and the speeds you get once it arrives?

Soldato
That is unfortunate. I already have one which shows up as usb2. It will be going back if it does not connect to usb 3.

I am happy to check it as soon as I can . I am not sure if the booster is detachable however.

It's arriving tomorrow and I have.booked tomorrow off work for gaming day..... However my lad has come home from school ill so unless he perks up my gaming day will be a looking after sick 4 year old day :(

Another thing which may make a difference my pc is from 2015 (8 pack overclocked i5820k black Friday deal). A nice system and still does a job now but only has USB 3.0 not 3.1 or 3.2. dunno if this will have effect

Soldato
That is unfortunate. I already have one which shows up as usb2. It will be going back if it does not connect to usb 3.

I am happy to check it as soon as I can . I am not sure if the booster is detachable however.

It's arriving tomorrow and I have.booked tomorrow off work for gaming day..... However my lad has come home from school ill so unless he perks up my gaming day will be a looking after sick 4 year old day :(

Ahhh I see. So you've ordered another cable with a booster attached, which one is it out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom