Xbox controller & bluetooth

Associate
So, figured I'd try out one of the new Xbox Series X/S controllers with PC as they feel good quality etc, replace my aging third party wired controller with a wireless one for less clutter.

So, it connects fine (after plugging in and updating the firmeware), pc is fully up to date etc. The xbox companion app knows it's connected when it's on bluetooth and shows all button presses etc in test mode. On the desktop or in anything non-fullscreen it works continuously and flawlessly. However, start a fullscreen app (so, any game basically) and you get constant dropouts on the connection. Sometimes it'll go 5-10 minutes fine, others it drops out 3 times in a minute.

Anyone else having issues with this? Can find people having problems with older models but surely you'd think something like this should be sorted on the new hardware/firmware.

Soldato
Do you have any other bluetooth devices connected at the same time?

I've had a similar issue when I was using a shared bluetooth connection with my mouse. I had to use a single connection for each.

Permabanned
Not tried the new controllers on PC but been using One X controller for a long time without issues. I have a pcie wifi card that has bluetooth as well, before that I used the Microsoft USB dongle.

I do have a Series X controller I could try if you like.

Associate
OP
No other bluetooth devices, my keyboard and mouse are connected to their own dedicated wireless dongles (Logitech G items). However if I connect my keyboard via bluetooth and game, it works without any dropouts. So seems to be specific to the controller.

Also not using wifi as the PC is connected via ethernet. Using the built in bluetooth on my MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi board. Distance from the motherboard to the controller is max 1m, generally less.

I should add, I actually bought a controller specifically for the PC. We also have a new console so I tried that controller too. Same issue.

Windows was reinstalled less than 2 weeks ago, so I can't see it being a driver conflict issue.

Associate
I have this exact problem too. Only tried it on FH4 today; firmware updated on pad and also updated Intel Wireless Bluetooth (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC) drivers through Windows update because some people said it might be that. Drops out every few mins and reconnects.

Pretty disappointed. Never had an issue with either of my DS4 pads or any other bluetooth connected device.

I'm going to disable onboard bluetooth and use an adapter I bought ages ago before I had this mobo. Will report back.

Soldato
I got the new xbox pad today as my xb1 s? Pad the analog sticks started wandering..

After an initial faff to get windows /BT to see it, it seems fine to me now via BT.

But there was some swearing.

Soldato
I just hope the joysticks are better quality than the previous model, they seem more tactile and more responsive but maybe that's just 'new toy' syndrome.

Soldato
And the D pad.. I'm not convinced about that at all.. I't feels too clickey and cumbersome.. But if it means it's hard wearing I'm OK with that.

Soldato
I found bluetooth hit and miss with them. This is with 4-5 xbox one / S and elite controllers. Just now use the adapter and connection always perfect once it connects (that can sometimes be finicky!)

Associate
I like the texture on this pad, I thought it looked a bit 'change for the sake of changing' in the images/video reviews I saw of the pad before it released but it's actually really effective.

Just recorded it occurring here. See it just keeps dropping, so it's not just FH4 here. Going to try this other bluetooth receiver but failing that I'm in two minds whether to return as I already have a wired Xbox One pad (but these bumper buttons are far superior!)

Soldato
The textured surfaces are a definite plus.
I just hope the internals are better as I had to go back to my old 360 wired pad after the joysticks failed on my xb1 s pad.

Associate
I know it's pointless right now on PC isn't it as far as I've read. Hopefully they'll add some customisable function on the Xbox app for PC. I've had that stick drift on one of my two DS4 pads and my Xbox One pad (the one without bluetooth from years back) but it seemed to fix itself of late.

FWIW to the thread topic, I've been using this pad in FH4 for last 15 mins and it hasn't dropped connection yet. It also suffers no lag on the map screen, whereas I thought it did earlier. I'm just using a £4 generic bluetooth dongle called CSR that's 4.0. Maybe it's an Intel driver issue.

Haven't tried yet, but need to check it out on my nVidia shield pro 2019. Haven't heard anything about this being an issue yet anyway!

Back
Top Bottom