• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
6800xt is still faster than a 2080 ti at RT. Don't see it not running Cyberpunk at playable frame rates even with RT on. If there is no upscaling then 4k will likely be impossible.
If you look at something like a Control, it's doable for 1440p 60 fps, which will upscale fine to 4K with a bit of sharpening, even better if it has like WD:L its own temporal filtering. The real shame is there will be no VRS, which would've been a nice agnostic DLSS alternative for everyone.

Pretty sure it will have its own implementation of DLSS
It will, it's confirmed.

Soldato
It's a pity AMD weren't upfront about it at the reveal. I'm sure they said there'd be plenty of stock.
Why didn't they just sell the reference cards along with the AIB cards next week? Greed probably.
What does Greed have to do with it? Doesn't matter if it is sold today or in a week it was always destined to sell out.

the only thing i can think of is either getting more stock or trying to pad out the coverage for the company.

I don't believe the more stock argument because 1 week doesn't make a difference so i think it is them trying to pad out the coverage. By the time the 6900xt launches, (assuming AIBs are a week later) AMD will have a solid 6 or so weeks being on the front page of the tech news cycle if you include the consoles.

Last edited:
Associate
no problem...

Far questions to be honest. And Scott provided the level of transparency one can expect.

-------------------------------------

@14:41 Steve from HU said it best and I'm actually :eek: he said it. He cares very little for RT and found very little games worth enabling. Boom!!!!:D

But to further add, those results are a game changer. The 6800xt is a much better competitor then I initially thought. It appears that Radeon shines best with an Zen 2/3 PC setup. And performance is much more efficient using a 256bit bus on newer game titles (IE: nextgen console based). Scott hinted at this in his interview. However, I have a sneaky suspicion there is more to it then just raw performance. Rumor has it that AMD plans on utilizing/leveraging that 16GB vram. As it's not being supplied for nothing. What that is I haven't read. Time will tell if that turns out to be true or not.

--------------------------------------

That's some taste advice can I put a little salt and pepper on it to enhance the flavor?
:D

The 256bit bus means less bandwidth which becomes an issue are 4k. This is way Nvidia does better at 4k. This is what Gamers Nexus found. Also RT games are the future. Why would people not cover RT on a RT card after it being a big deal on Ampere? Why were all the AMD released benchmarks avoiding RT performance? Maybe AMD cards are not as fast? This is what Gamers Nexus found as soon as they ran a RTX game like Control.

Soldato
Lets not forget how much better the efficency of RX 6000 series is when compared to Ampere.When paired with an AMD cpu/motherboard using SAM.

This certainly encourages an AMD PC Ecosystem.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Now imagine this for a minute. RX 6800 xt providing that level of performance with the efficiency that far exceeds Ampere. Wasn't AMD always called out for being a power hog back in the day?
Wow!!! What a turn of events this turned out to be. Now only do you get the performance but you do so without new power connectors, updated PSUs nor having to buy special "mini connector" cables.

Now, lets not get it twisted, when you want to OC a RX 6800xt to 2500Mhz (for example) the power requirements will get higher. However, based on the results from HU posted earlier it's only going to beat out a 3080ti when it's released IMO. AMD is looking to sack "GPU King of the Hill". Even if it doesn't out right beat Ampere on all fronts. That's pretty amazing stuff.

All of this at just 256 bit bus width vs a 384 bit bus width!!! It's far more efficient then I expected. Which

Last edited:
Associate
a lot of people probably don't actually want the reference model.better for OcUK to cancel now before AIB cards appear than to keep a another list situation going where people are ordering and canceling etc.I suspect the refernce will be back for pre order when all the AIBs drop on the 25th too.
Not true, over a thousand people placed an order for the 6800XT but OC could only fulfill a fraction of those.

Caporegime
Seen the same message everywhere: AMD lied, supply is worse than Nvidia and reference cards are a limited edition short quantity run. If you didn't get a card, you have to buy an AIB aftermarket one and expect significant price increase over reference.

AMD pulled an Nvidia playbook move by setting its RRP too low, retailers are ****** because they make no money selling a reference card and customers will be ****** when they have to buy an AIB card thats 30% more expensive than AMD's claimed RRP.

People aren't getting it. Supply being low doesn't change anything, these cards would have gone on back order, not cancelled. Cancelled just means there is literally no more cards. All this means is reference which is a great card is only out a week before custom and unlike Nvidia who angered partners with a quality reference card stealing sales, aren't making this high volume. AMD reference is effectively a special edition and nothing more, low thousands around the world then over. A card that was only ever intended to have say 5k cards won't ever last long as the first card out and isn't indicative one way or the other of bad supply.

OCUK are saying supply of AIBS will be pretty decent a week from today but there will be no more AMD reference.

If they said do you want this to be on back order, there is another 50 coming in two weeks that would be one thing, this indicates something entirely different.

AS for the rest, the mark up for retailers and distributors remains pretty much the same. lower RRP means lower price to AMD and similar profit margin. Retailers aren't ******, it's a card and brings in customers and they get an easy profit for a quick turn around card that won't be in stock long, make no money, bull. If you are buying AIBs that are 30% more expensive it's because the retailer you are buying from is ripping you off, nothing more and nothing less.

Associate
If you look at something like a Control, it's doable for 1440p 60 fps, which will upscale fine to 4K with a bit of sharpening, even better if it has like WD:L its own temporal filtering. The real shame is there will be no VRS, which would've been a nice agnostic DLSS alternative for everyone.

It will, it's confirmed.

AMD have fidelityfx which is their DLSS. Cyberpunk 2077 is not listed on AMD's website as supported. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-supported-games Dont get peoples hopes up. Cyberpunk 2077 is a nvidia RTX title.

If this is correct AMD cards wont get RT at launch as well. https://www.gfinityesports.com/arti...a-amd-hardware-gpu-cd-projekt-red-xbox-ps4-pc

Cyberpunk 2077 will not offer ray-tracing for AMD graphics cards at launch, the developer has confirmed.
In an interview with PC Gamer's magazine, art director Jakup Knapik confirmed that only Nvidia Geforce cards will support the feature when the game launches next month.

Caporegime
The 256bit bus means less bandwidth which becomes an issue are 4k. This is way Nvidia does better at 4k. This is what Gamers Nexus found. Also RT games are the future. Why would people not cover RT on a RT card after it being a big deal on Ampere? Why were all the AMD released benchmarks avoiding RT performance? Maybe AMD cards are not as fast? This is what Gamers Nexus found as soon as they ran a RTX game like Control.

The 6800XT is faster at 1080P and 1440P than the 3080, sometimes even than the 3090, at 4K there is only 5/10% in it, where as at lower resolution like 1440P its 20%, even 40% to the AMD GPU.

As for RT almost all games so far are Nvidia sponsored, i don't think we can say for certain yet what the RT performance comparison really is, Nvidia seem around 20/30% better in thier own titles, the one that is an AMD title AMD's RT is 35% faster than Nvidia.

ZFHx9Mf.png

Associate
What does Greed have to do with it? Doesn't matter if it is sold today or in a week it was always destined to sell out.

the only thing i can think of is either getting more stock or trying to pad out the coverage for the company.

I don't believe the more stock argument because 1 week doesn't make a difference so i think it is them trying to pad out the coverage. By the time the 6900xt launches, (assuming AIBs are a week later) AMD will have a solid 6 or so weeks being on the front page of the tech news cycle if you include the consoles.
There were only reference cards for sale, no AIB. They've sold out due to having no competition. AMD get the biggest profits from their own cards. That's why I suggested greed aka a fast buck.

Associate
Not true, over a thousand people placed an order for the 6800XT but OC could only fulfill a fraction of those.
What part of what you said has anything to do with what I said?.

What I was getting at is that yes lots of people today ordered or tried to order the reference card but I suspect a lot would actually prefer an AIB card once they become available.

Soldato
There were only reference cards for sale, no AIB. They've sold out due to having no competition. AMD get the biggest profits from their own cards. That's why I suggested greed aka a fast buck.
Are you saying that the reference cards wouldn't have sold out if the AIB cards were also on sale?:confused:

Soldato
That's true, I mean games like WDL can be very heavy on the GPU because of RT effects, it's also true that games like FS2020 and Avengers at 4k Ultra are also unplayable, in fact Hardware Unboxed review did used FS2020 in their suite of games and it was unplayable at 33fps average on the 6800XT. And only slightly less unplayable with the 3080 at 40fps. It's additional 6Gb of vRAM simply isn't helping here, real memory usage of FS2020@4k ultra show about 9Gb being used at those settings. And there's no ray tracing in FS2020 to my knowledge. Obviously RT really add to this GPU burden and wont be used in every game so that'll be hit or miss but I still suspect many future games will make the GPUs give out before the vRAM. We definitely do need more games as evidence though to build a better case for this.

Optimizations on the console really help overcome that lack of raw power but that tends to come later in their development cycle once developers have learned all the tricks for the silicon. Some software optimizations for RT might cross over however, like culling certain objects from rendering in reflections. I'm hesitant to call that optimization though, it's more akin to just lower settings. Either way RT looks great, it's set to be the future and the consoles have embraced it which is cool, look forward to more of it.

This sounds stupid but coming from a 2080... those 7FPs are very important.
In a lot of other games, that 7FPs can be the difference between playable and unplayable so cannot be understated.

Its interesting to say the least but the benchmarks have at least revealed that whether you go AMD or NVIDIA, neither is perfect but both decent options with separate longevity issues for each. And most importantly, they aren't going to be 4K-Ultra cards for long and will likely have to be superceded very soon. <12 months.

Associate
The 6800XT is faster at 1080P and 1440P than the 3080, sometimes even than the 3090, at 4K there is only 5/10% in it, where as at lower resolution like 1440P its 20%, even 40% to the AMD GPU.

As for RT almost all games so far are Nvidia sponsored, i don't think we can say for certain yet what the RT performance comparison really is, Nvidia seem around 20/30% better in thier own titles, the one that is an AMD title AMD's RT is 35% faster than Nvidia.

ZFHx9Mf.png

Dirt 5 only uses RT on the car's shadows. It's not a RT title like Control or even minecraft. It's an even lighter version than that of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's a rasterastion based title, with RT shadows and you know it. AMD's 6800xt is slower in the DXR DX12u developer kit benchmark by a massive amount. Every full RT game its massively slower. RT performance is based on the cards raw power not optimisation techniques. Nvidia hardware can cast more rays per second so its always going to be faster. Stop trying to hide the cards weaknesses and misinform people.

Were you not the guy that was calling out the 3080's "low vRAM size" because Godfall uses 12GB of vRAM. Only for us to find out the 12GB to big for 10gb 3080 HD texture pack was only 6GB when the game released.

Associate
Associate
Cyberpunk 2077 Will Support Ray Tracing on AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...ay-tracing-on-amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-gpus/

“Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API,” Burke noted. “It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.”
That's been known for quite a while though. What is up for conjecture is when it will be actually implemented, at launch or patched later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom