• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
After smashing the refresh button all afternooon like most, and then recieveing the "unavailable Item" email.. I got annoyed and decided it would take a miracle to get a card on launch day next week... or any other day for that matter!!
So i decided to bite the bullet and see what people where offering online... and to sheer luck, I found a 3080 unopened 20 minutes away for £70 over what Overclockers have them up for sale at! He ordered a 3090 and 3080 and both turned up, so he kept the 3090.. so he says... but hey...Id rather pay the extra £70 than wait months and months hoping to get my hands on a card!

So a s****y day, turned out alright in the end for me :D

Associate
To be honest with you a few years ago 'a few hundred cards' would have been fine for a couple of days. Things this year though...absolutely bonkers...demand for every launch is at least tenfold what we used to have to deal with. Which is one of the main issues that we've struggled with the website and why we're investing in a whole new infrastructure next year.

I don't know if the manufacturers really under estimated demand or they just REALLY wanted to get them launched before Black Friday, but the supply vs demand balance is uncontrollably lob sided right now. :(

it's a massive headache for us but I can imagine and sympathise with the frustration felt by those who have "held off" upgrading their PC, waiting for this generation of product to appear.

Just stop the scalpers they were there today look at the EBAY accounts just get a grip.

After smashing the refresh button all afternooon like most, and then recieveing the "unavailable Item" email.. I got annoyed and decided it would take a miracle to get a card on launch day next week... or any other day for that matter!!
So i decided to bite the bullet and see what people where offering online... and to sheer luck, I found a 3080 unopened 20 minutes away for £70 over what Overclockers have them up for sale at! He ordered a 3090 and 3080 and both turned up, so he kept the 3090.. so he says... but hey...Id rather pay the extra £70 than wait months and months hoping to get my hands on a card!

So a s****y day, turned out alright in the end for me :D

You paid £70 over an inflated price and that's a good day? :(

OcUK Staff
OP
Just stop the scalpers they were there today look at the EBAY accounts just get a grip.

Our CS teams monitor the forums and ebay, from the post here and from cards listed on ebay if they were found to be orders from OcUK they got cancelled, we actively monitor that as such and take action, of course its impossible to prevent it all because a regular customer or regular forum member could order a card and if they got one and once delivered could then do as they wish with it. But the ones who list on ebay before we have shipped goods are certainly the ones we can do something about and we do take action.

Associate
I'm responsible for OcUK's system business and my daily routine at the moment is a constant struggle to keep components in stock so that we can complete builds and to keep our system offerings up to date with parts what we can source.

To give you some idea of how bad things are at my desk, you won't find a single 6800 on offer in any of our systems at the moment, despite AMD probably expecting me to launch some systems for them. We had to make the decision a couple of days ago that all of this batch of cards will go to our DIY customers. In the last couple of days I've have had to kill or update every 2060 Super & 2070 Super PC due to the end of the supply and we've got very little in the way of 3000 series supply, so, unless you want a PC based around GTX 1660 or you are willing to wait, we're probably going to struggle to accommodate you. Similar issues obviously exist on the CPU front too, 10900K is as rare as hens teeth and Zen 3 is rarer. PSUs are still short in some wattage ratings & some SSDs are running out now too... I've got lots of cases but very little to put into them.

This year our cut off date for guaranteed Xmas system builds is the end of this month, last year iirc it was December 17th...it's all fun & games.

Please forgive the "oh woe is me" reply, I'm tired and it has been a loooooong day.

You're doing a fine job and limited to the tools you have (i.e Website/Supply etc)

Hopefully you guys will find a way of looking after us after the disappointment of missing out today. Get some rest buddy! :)

Associate
You paid £70 over an inflated price and that's a good day? :(

Yep.. id rather pay £70 more to get the card now, than potentially get a card in spring 2021. All depends on how much you value your time.

Im sure there are people who have been stuck in a pre order que since launch day that would jump at the chance of paying an extra £70 to get their cards in hand right now..... or maybe im the only one here that thinks like that.

Associate
Ty sir, the link got me the 6800xt
Managed to order it at work 14:30, at first i could not add the item to basket in chrome, but when i switched browser i could add it. It said pre order, but at 16:30 got an email it was shipped and is coming on the 19th.

The card has no DVI slots, so by any chance it comes with dvi-hdmi adapter ? Or atleast previous amd releases? if not i'm screwed till friday.

OcUK Staff
OP
If gouging's the case i will no longer be buying stuff off Overclocker's, No wonder @Gibbo drives around in a Ferrari!

I do not benefit if we sell at -5% or at 50% (we don't make 50% on any component by the way, we do make -5% though sometimes, but rarely, thats mainly when clearing old lines), no purchaser in OcUK operates on a commission-based system and there is no profit share schemes of any kind, that I swear on with my own life and my families, of course you still may wish to not believe it but that is the truth. Staff earn money from their job and whatever other sources of income they may have and how they spend their cash is upto them.

The SUGGESTED retail price is exactly that, and the suggested price was single digit margin before we even took into account the cost to run the company and with how much work these launches create if they are not profitable it's pointless and as the saying goes the customer can shop elsewhere if they are unhappy with OcUK price. We could have listed the 6800 XT at £1499 and sold them all 10x over, but we made it fair and our margin was under 15% before taking into account operating cost which on a product that is extremely limited with huge demand and no supply we felt our price was fair.

These style launches are causing absolute havoc, in my 20 years I have never seen such poor supply or such outrageous demand, in launches of the past we would be absolutely shocked if we sold even close to 1000 cards in the first day and normally we'd have a solid 500+ on hand for a launch, remember I use to build huge pyramids and castles and normally the stock would not sell out or would at least take a few days to do so.

Now we can sell 10,000+ cards in a day and have less than a few hundred for the launch, demand has gone up 10x fold, supply is lower, the two don't go together, its deeply fustrating for ourselves just as it is our customers as we just wish the manufacturers would postpone the launches until they had much larger inventories built up and were also setting much more realistic MSRP's for both resellers and board partners to make a living from. Think it over there is a reason why custom cards from both green and red team cost a lot more than the launch editions so to speak.

For those interested in a 6800 (NONE XT), the surplus stock will go live tomorrow morning, the time I shall post tomorrow to help ensure forum members get the lead on getting one. :)

Associate
@Gibbo This launch certainly has been crazy, can't imagine what it is like for you guys having thousands of people want to buy from you and having hardly any new cards to sell.
Because you will be selling these extremely quickly I assume there would be no restocking fee when I refuse my delivery tomorrow? (6800xt) and return it? decided I will wait for a 3080 instead.

Back
Top Bottom