**** The Official OnePlus 5 Thread ****

Soldato
Yep. Its alright! For me anyway... any questions?

Nice one! Was just wondering if anyone had got the update come through in the UK. Did you get it 'naturally' or did you acquire the update via the Oxygen Updater app or some such?

Been checking for the last few days to see if the update is available. My OP5 always seems to take ages to get updates. :(

Soldato
Nice one! Was just wondering if anyone had got the update come through in the UK. Did you get it 'naturally' or did you acquire the update via the Oxygen Updater app or some such?

Been checking for the last few days to see if the update is available. My OP5 always seems to take ages to get updates. :(
Yeah, the Oxygen updater - it's fine. Usually updates come through straight away compared to the official channel, which I always feel takes forever!

Battery life is my only real concern so far, I did a dirty flash though, so that's always a factor. I might do a factory reset at the weekend and see how it is after that? I still get a day but when I think back to when I first got the phone, on release day, I was getting over days out of it... I had the battery replaced by OP last summer and it made a big difference on 9.0.

Soldato
Yeah, the Oxygen updater - it's fine. Usually updates come through straight away compared to the official channel, which I always feel takes forever!

Battery life is my only real concern so far, I did a dirty flash though, so that's always a factor. I might do a factory reset at the weekend and see how it is after that? I still get a day but when I think back to when I first got the phone, on release day, I was getting over days out of it... I had the battery replaced by OP last summer and it made a big difference on 9.0.

Fair enough. I might try the Oxygen updater if I don't get anything over the weekend. Do let me know if the factory reset helps with battery life etc.

Are you planning to keep the 5? I'm tempted by the 8 Pro but as I'm WFH for the forseeable future I don't really need the 8 Pro now so might wait for the 8T Pro and see if that improves upon the 8 Pro and sorts out little issues. :)

Soldato
Fair enough. I might try the Oxygen updater if I don't get anything over the weekend. Do let me know if the factory reset helps with battery life etc.

Are you planning to keep the 5? I'm tempted by the 8 Pro but as I'm WFH for the forseeable future I don't really need the 8 Pro now so might wait for the 8T Pro and see if that improves upon the 8 Pro and sorts out little issues. :)
I think OP have already said the 5/5T won't be getting anymore updates after 10, which is fair enough in my opinion... as I said, I've had mine since launch and I can't fault it! I'll be updating in about a year I reckon? Putting the 5, with all its chargers and accessories onto eBay :cool:

Even though it won't get anymore official updates I wouldn't be surprised if a community updater picks it up? My Dad's got a Xiaomi Note 4 which was stuck on 7.0 I think and I've just flashed him with a custom Android 10 rom from XDA and it's completely reinvigorated the phone! A £100 bottom end device from 2017 and it runs 10 so well... just making the point that older kit can still perform with the latest iterations. I might see if I can hold out for the Oneplus 9/10 :p

Soldato
Is there much difference with 10?

Also had my OP5 since launch and have been really happy with it. My gripe with the new models is they are physically bigger.

Battery life on my OP5 barely lasts a day, but then I've not done a reset/restore since I got it...

Soldato
I got a notification on my OP5 this morning for 10.0.1. I installed it after work and it seems stable so far. :)
Yeah, been on it for a about a week now. Dirty flash. I should probably have a full reset soon because I haven't done since the final update for 9...

So far, its okay though. I get about a day out of a charge, fairly moderate use. I replaced the battery in 2019 through OP and that breathed new life into the phone but seeing as though so much was made out of this update, after the bugfest that was 10.0, I don't think they'll be anymore updates for this model now. 5T users are still on 10.0!

Not sure about you, but I will be selling mine soon. Had it since launch and I've been generally really happy. I won't get another OP anytime soon though, they've completely changed their business model in the three years or so that I've had the 5. I read recently that the new Nord/N100 will only get like one full OS update?

Depending on what happen on Black Friday, I've been looking at a 10T Lite. At least with Xiaomi, community updates are always forthcoming. That said though, community OP updates are on the increase over at XDA.

Soldato
Yeah, been on it for a about a week now. Dirty flash. I should probably have a full reset soon because I haven't done since the final update for 9...

So far, its okay though. I get about a day out of a charge, fairly moderate use. I replaced the battery in 2019 through OP and that breathed new life into the phone but seeing as though so much was made out of this update, after the bugfest that was 10.0, I don't think they'll be anymore updates for this model now. 5T users are still on 10.0!

Not sure about you, but I will be selling mine soon. Had it since launch and I've been generally really happy. I won't get another OP anytime soon though, they've completely changed their business model in the three years or so that I've had the 5. I read recently that the new Nord/N100 will only get like one full OS update?

Depending on what happen on Black Friday, I've been looking at a 10T Lite. At least with Xiaomi, community updates are always forthcoming. That said though, community OP updates are on the increase over at XDA.
I haven't done a full reset ever with the phone. My battery usage isn't too high but I do tend to need to charge it at least every 2 days if not every day depending on how much I use it for a typical working day. I think the 10.0.1 update will be the last major update the phone will get. Perhaps no security or minor updates as well! There are so many more newer phones in the Oneplus range so I can't see them supporting this any longer.

I won't sell mine. I'll keep it as an emergency spare for if I lose my next phone or it get damaged etc. I'm looking to get the 8T sometime next Spring but by the time I can get round to that the OP9 might be in the pipeline.

Soldato

I haven't done a full reset ever with the phone. My battery usage isn't too high but I do tend to need to charge it at least every 2 days if not every day depending on how much I use it for a typical working day. I think the 10.0.1 update will be the last major update the phone will get. Perhaps no security or minor updates as well! There are so many more newer phones in the Oneplus range so I can't see them supporting this any longer.

I won't sell mine. I'll keep it as an emergency spare for if I lose my next phone or it get damaged etc. I'm looking to get the 8T sometime next Spring but by the time I can get round to that the OP9 might be in the pipeline.

Similar to you both. I've had my OP5 since launch and have never reset it. I've not been offered the update OTA yet, and am reluctant to force it. IS there much difference from Android 9.0.11?

Generally I love the phone, no issues with it at all, but having a new phone with a better camera would be nice. Again similar to you both, I don't think I'd get another OP, they just aren't the same now, and are more expensive than some flagships!

I haven't kept up with phones really, but would want something with stock/stockish android so regular updates/security updates are certain for a few years. Would also like a good camera. Wondered if the latest Pixel will offer this?

Soldato
Similar to you both. I've had my OP5 since launch and have never reset it. I've not been offered the update OTA yet, and am reluctant to force it. IS there much difference from Android 9.0.11?

Generally I love the phone, no issues with it at all, but having a new phone with a better camera would be nice. Again similar to you both, I don't think I'd get another OP, they just aren't the same now, and are more expensive than some flagships!

I haven't kept up with phones really, but would want something with stock/stockish android so regular updates/security updates are certain for a few years. Would also like a good camera. Wondered if the latest Pixel will offer this?
I think the most obvious difference with OxygenOS 10.0.1 is that you get the graphical benefits of Android 10. Everything looks nicer and more apps support dark mode now.

I'll probably go for a Oneplus next time. I'm not an iOS person so no iPhone for me. I don't really like the Samsung phones, mainly because of how they have the back button on the wrong side of the phone for me. I think if you want a stock Android phone with regular updates and a good camera the only brand I can think of that offers all these requirements is the Google Pixel phones. It's as stock/vanilla Android as you can get.

Back
Top Bottom