***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
Went into my mates studio on Saturday so he could record me playing drums. Man, I'm out of practice. It was fine but the "engineer" in me is striving for perfection which I'm not capable of at the moment. Oh well, once I've edited it all it'll sound like a decent drummer performed it. :p

Soldato
Ye olde Yamaha MT100II finally set up so I can remind myself why I stopped messing about with music in the 90's :). I may even get round to reading the SR-16 manual and learning how to use it, but that's only been on my to-do list for about 30 years; there's no rush! First, I probably ought to concentrate on recording to something a bit more capable than my phone... and finding a bit of wood for my desk-let that doesn't have a paint tin stain on it.

Associate
Ye olde Yamaha MT100II finally set up so I can remind myself why I stopped messing about with music in the 90's :). I may even get round to reading the SR-16 manual and learning how to use it, but that's only been on my to-do list for about 30 years; there's no rush! First, I probably ought to concentrate on recording to something a bit more capable than my phone... and finding a bit of wood for my desk-let that doesn't have a paint tin stain on it.
It's more video than audio but seeing this reminds me of what's jammed under my desk :D

aPvqW70.jpg

I've never even used it....

Soldato
I've never even used it....
Ah, the road to stuffed lofts is paved with well-intentioned purchases. Though I imagine that thing's a bit heavy for the loft, hence why it's under the desk. :)
What's that thing they say about clothes? If you haven't worn it for a year, get rid. I don't follow that rule, either, and I will definitely find a use for that ISA graphics card at the back of the filing cabinet any day now.

Soldato
Anyone have any good vieo links to mastering, I feel my sound is still very flat sounding. I think Im still erroring on the side of caution not to be clipping the sounds etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone have any good vieo links to mastering, I feel my sound is still very flat sounding. I think Im still erroring on the side of caution not to be clipping the sounds etc.

If you're mixing it yourself it should really be fixed in the mix. While mastering can improve/change the sound; you're using very very broad strokes. If it doesn't sound pretty much how you want it to sound pre mastering it's likely to be a mix issue. I spent ages trying to fix my shoddy mixes at the mastering stage, it was rarely successful. :p

Also when you saying clipping, do you mean deliberate clipping with a clipper who that they're peaking on the meters? There's never really any good reason to peak the meters in the digital domain.

Soldato
If you're mixing it yourself it should really be fixed in the mix. While mastering can improve/change the sound; you're using very very broad strokes. If it doesn't sound pretty much how you want it to sound pre mastering it's likely to be a mix issue. I spent ages trying to fix my shoddy mixes at the mastering stage, it was rarely successful. :p

Also when you saying clipping, do you mean deliberate clipping with a clipper who that they're peaking on the meters? There's never really any good reason to peak the meters in the digital domain.
Yea...using the look in teh meaters if they bounce into the "red" alittle, maybe jsut throw most of that out and go by my own years, spend more time during the mixdown etc?

Back
Top Bottom