• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Well pricing and stock issues aside I'm impressed with what AMD have achieved. Such a shame that the return of competition to the high end has been spoiled by horrendous shortages.
Agreed, it's nothing like the launches I remember which were always happy and exciting (as PC hardware gets) occasions. Now it seems like an exercise in carrot-dangling frustration.

Soldato
Hopefully numbers of cards released should go up shortly. I had the opportunity to get a 6800 yesterday but passed on it, as my 1080ti is still pretty good for my current use. I think the issue with the 3080 is that the cards are not available a month after launch. If this is still the case for AMD cards after 2 weeks then I would consider it to be a failure but hopefully shipments should improve in the next week or so.

Associate
Agreed, it's nothing like the launches I remember which were always happy and exciting (as PC hardware gets) occasions. Now it seems like an exercise in carrot-dangling frustration.

Definitely, it used to be a case of researching which manufacturer's variant you'd choose and then pulling the trigger, now if you want one it's about scouring multiple retailers to find stock and snapping up what's available or waiting.

The latter is fine, PC hardware's not the be all and end all, but these aren't a great deal better than paper launches from both sides. Even without higher than usual demand the problem would be the same from the reports we've seen regarding stock levels.

Soldato
To be able to game effectively on PC and actually get the best/consistent performance, I think we need BOTH a 3080 and 6800XT, because some games one or the other excels, but then there is talk ray tracing is going to be exclusive in titles going forward to AMD or Nvidia, which is a bit annoying.

Caporegime
Easy concept I've got. Take launches now as just review days, with no stock available. Give it a month and make a nominal date in your head as the actual "launch" date and there is no angst to be had in your own head.
I am in no mad rush to have a card as I have a temporary solution as well as other hobbies to keep me busy, but for a lot of people who really want it at launch, the other option for not getting the initial stock is potentially waiting for weeks. That can be very disappointing to people who sold their old cards in expectation of putting in a new one, or people building a new rig who were relying n a card to complete it.

Associate
Coil whine is usually psu

My Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + was quite loud when framerates where uncapped with my Corsair HX750
with the HX1200i it was almost silent with uncapped frame rates
Not really, 3080FE I had was whining like hell and that was on Seasonic Prime 1000W titanium which have one of the most stable voltage regulation. (and it whine on Corsair AX as well)

Soldato
I am in no mad rush to have a card as I have a temporary solution as well as other hobbies to keep me busy, but for a lot of people who really want it at launch, the other option for not getting the initial stock is potentially waiting for weeks. That can be very disappointing to people who sold their old cards in expectation of putting in a new one, or people building a new rig who were relying n a card to complete it.

I think it's just me getting older (forty something) that i don't have time for marketing hype guff these days.

Associate
AMD want to provide stock in the next weeks/months while NVIDIA cupboards are completely bare, I believe that’s why we haven’t seen big stocks at launch.

AMD doesn't get credit for something it hasn't done yet, the launch was bloody awful and they deserve ridicule for it.

If they do a decent job on AIB supply then it doesn't matter but I have zero reason to trust either Nvidia or AMD at the moment.

Soldato

An unedifying scramble for over-priced products, no different from fighting on the floor in Tesco's for a TV on Black Friday as it originally was, until was re-defined as just another month-long pretend sale. I wonder where this will all lead? I wonder how long it will be before they have us fighting each other to pre-order food? That may be a bit of a stretch, but you can see this kind of mass-hysteria being extended to other kinds of household goods...

Associate
This comment aged like "a fine wine".

yea, Frank Azor has made terrible mistakes and seems to keep doing them with the customers.
I suspect he be replaced at some point. (fired)

AMD cards the Big Navis are winners and Nvidia killers
Going to sell like no tomorrow.
Consoles, desktop and graphics selling like nothing before in the industry's history.
Lisa su and team made winners

Soldato
Honestly, given tech in general this year (virtually everything has been delayed from any manufacturer, costs have gone up, shipments have been delayed), phones, pc hardware etc, you name it; given this I was expecting there to not be that much stock launch day. AMD needed to at least respond in kind or Nvidia would have had way too much time to build steam on stocks, mindshare and shipments; the hand was forced to a degree; and I think it's now very clear that Nvidia launched early because they were worried and wanted to get orders whilst they had less competition (which they now have to 3070/3080 and 3090).

What will matter is how much stock is available in the coming few weeks. Nvidia are now several months after launch, and you still cannot buy the 3080 etc, people are still waiting from launch day virtually, so that is a bonafide paper launch (and obviously to get cards out ahead of AMD).
If AMD have decent availability in coming weeks via AIBs, or at least reasonable shipments, then it's not a paper launch. The AIBs start rolling out all of next week; so its not like these are far behind. Lets see where we are by mid December and we will be able to see if this was a paper launch (demand but no supply), or just a toilet paper launch (supply but way too much demand at the moment).

I am not even looking to buy, but these do look like good cards for the money, and definitely bring competition back into the market at the high end. Yes, there are some feature disparities, but a lot of people play at 1080p or 1440p, FAR more than 4K, and these new AMD cards are a resounding success at those more popular resolutions, whilst still performant at 4k, and the RT capabilities of the 6800XT seem to be at least matching or beating the 2080TI, which was Nvidia's top 1st RT attempt.

Bear in mind just how much smaller AMD are compared to Nvidia OR Intel, and just how far behind they were a year or two ago, and its pretty clear that AMD with an R&D budget are a scary force (which they hadn't had for many years), and they're just getting going. Look at what has happened with Intel and the Ryzen CPUs, this is literally gen 2 RDNA we are seeing here and look at the performance leap vs RDNA 1, and this is also AMDs first RT generation, and its already beating Nvidia's G1.

That is a pretty outstanding result, and if they carry on this trajectory we are going to see some pretty epic battles in the graphics market over the next few years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD doesn't get credit for something it hasn't done yet, the launch was bloody awful and they deserve ridicule for it.

If they do a decent job on AIB supply then it doesn't matter but I have zero reason to trust either Nvidia or AMD at the moment.
It's more amusing because HEADRAT was one of the lucky few to get a 6800XT and is now acting like the launch was a resounding success. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom