New 55" TV general use and portentially PS5

Associate
Greetings and salutations

I hope you are all well.

I was wondering if I could as for some advice. I am looking to buy a new TV and after reading articles and watching some videos still am uncertain if I need to buy a £400 or spend over £1k.

What I’m after is a decent 55" TV that looks good, is adequate for console gaming and can last for a number of years.

I know this community is very clued up on tech and if someone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

CitizenX

Soldato
"Looks good" is very subjective

I would suggest that, when you're able to, you head down to a John Lewis and take a look at some TVs with demo material that you can take on a USB (make sure it's in a standard format like MP4)

This will allow you to compare TVs across different price brackets.

For gaming experience alone, the best experience you'll get is with an OLED, but that doesn't mean that you won't enjoy a lesser experience, hence the importance of checking yourself :)

In general, though, I find ~1000-1300 the sweet spot for getting an excellent experience on a 55 inch TV, whether LCD or OLED.

Soldato
Thank you @MrRockliffe that has actually been very helpful, and apologies for the badly framed question :)

I think i needed the OLED suggestion and will now have a better look into this.

Appreciate your help

No probs. If I had unlimited funds, I’d be looking at 3 TVs:

Sony’s top end FALD
Samsung’s top end FALD
LG CX or BX OLED

OLED is my preference, even though it WILL get burn in, due to the inherent nature of the technology, but the near instant pixel response times and perfect blacks make it simply awesome to game on.

It’s almost like a modern day CRT :cool:

Associate
OP
Good morning

I did some research and yes burn in is a bit of a concern as apparently even as little as 24 hours of a static image can cause burn in. I’m not a young lad anymore so gone are the days of extended gaming though the worry is kind of there.

I have had reassurances from friends with OLED tv's that they not experience issues so I am put at ease slightly.

Also light reflection is an issue as I understand so TV placement will need to be planned a bit.

Staring off I though, new TV no big deal but now it’s getting a bit more complex the more I look into it hehe

I was leaning towards the LG CX though OLED burn in is making me nervous :p

Caporegime
No probs. If I had unlimited funds, I’d be looking at 3 TVs:

Sony’s top end FALD
Samsung’s top end FALD
LG CX or BX OLED

OLED is my preference, even though it WILL get burn in, due to the inherent nature of the technology, but the near instant pixel response times and perfect blacks make it simply awesome to game on.

It’s almost like a modern day CRT :cool:

Not disputing your point, as burn in for OLED is a thing and can happen. But i've got a 2017 LG OLED. My TV has just had it's 3rd birthday. I still can't see any noticable burn in on screen at all, despite me having looked specifically, so think the pixel shift technology that LG have on their OLEDs that work in the background to prevent this is doing its job. And that's even with my gaming on games like destiny that has a permanent UI bar across the bottom.

For comparison, this replaced my Panasonic Plasma for which the burn in was terrible. I had the battlefield 3 mini map burned into that TV almost permanently and even years later with the TV now doing bedroom duties I can still remnants of it. So with real world experience, I can report that burn in for unit is nowhere near as bad as my plasma with, despite both having been used for gaming.

Soldato
Good morning

I did some research and yes burn in is a bit of a concern as apparently even as little as 24 hours of a static image can cause burn in. I’m not a young lad anymore so gone are the days of extended gaming though the worry is kind of there.

I have had reassurances from friends with OLED tv's that they not experience issues so I am put at ease slightly.

Also light reflection is an issue as I understand so TV placement will need to be planned a bit.

Staring off I though, new TV no big deal but now it’s getting a bit more complex the more I look into it hehe

I was leaning towards the LG CX though OLED burn in is making me nervous :p

You'll hear a lot of opinions on burn in from both sides, some saying it doesn't exist, some saying you can't ever have static content on, but I'll try and give you a brief overview of how the tech fundamentally works so you can get a feel for why burn in is a thing, but you don't need to worry about it.

How OLEDs Work

OLEDs are self emissive using organic material (hence the O in OLED). Consequently, each pixel has a finite lifespan. Due to manufacturing processes having variation in quality, even between pixels on a single sheet, some will last longer than others, but generally the tolerance is quite good (and usually gets better as a process matures).

How Burn In Occurs

Now, if you were to display a single red image on an OLED for a sustained period of time, you'd find that the red pixels will degrade, becoming dimmer over time. If you then switched to blue full screen image, you wouldn't see that issue, and it would be roughly as bright as when you got the TV. If you switched from blue to white, you'd find that there would be a noticeable shift in white balance where the red pixels can't provide as much light as blue and green.

This is what happens when you're displaying static images - the pixels displaying the static content degrade at a different, but constant, rate compared to surrounding pixels. When you switch to a full screen uniform colour, you can see this as burn in.

Technologies to Combat Burn In

LG and Samsung, the two primary manufacturers of OLED displays (phones and TVs) use different technologies to help combat this. One of them is pixel refreshing. When your display has been on for a sustained period of time, at the point of turning off the display, it undergoes a refreshing process. In real basic terms, think shaking an etch-a-sketch when you want to start again. That's not how it works, but similar principle.

Another technology is pixel shift. This is quite self explanatory, but essentially they shift the static images around slightly, to try and wear as large an area as possible, so that the burn in isn't as obvious, since it's blending it into the surrounding area. Think pressing down on foam - if you use the same force over a larger area, you won't dent it as much as using your hand, for example. Phones do this by moving text and static parts of the display around slightly, like the swipe to go home bar on iPhone X and above - it moves up and down ever so slightly throughout use.

So to conclude, burn in is a thing - it's an inherent part of the technology, but there are technologies that help combat this which do work. That being said, it is inevitable you will get it at some point, and due to tolerances not being perfect, some TVs will get it sooner/quicker than others. But this might be 5+ years away, at which point you're likely to buy a new TV anyway.

I exclusively game on my OLED, and even if there is burn in, I don't care, because the reasons I got the TV in the first place still hold true, and burn in doesn't affect the gaming experience.

Associate
And if you're particularly worried about burn in, John Lewis additional cover insures against it for 5 years from purchase for £140 extra, I believe? Also covers accidental damage etc too, so it's effectively 5 years insurance for the TV on top of the 5 year warranty.

Soldato
And if you're particularly worried about burn in, John Lewis additional cover insures against it for 5 years from purchase for £140 extra, I believe? Also covers accidental damage etc too, so it's effectively 5 years insurance for the TV on top of the 5 year warranty.

It used to be included when I worked there (burn in cover, that is) :(

I guess they are a business at the end of the day, and if they've had too many returns for burn in, it will have eaten into their profits.

Associate
OP
Thank you guys for all your input and detailed explanation @MrRockliffe

That all makes sense and I’m am a lot more at ease, had a look and John Lewis and their warranty does not specify "burn in" so I think they may have removed it. Saying that I still feel a lot more confident now just have to make sure I have "auto turn off" and anti-burn in technologies enabled :)

I will keep an eye out for any deals on black Friday/cyber Monday though I don’t have high hopes :p

Thank you again all

Soldato
LG CX or BX OLED

Also because LG are being quick with patches for both the XBOX & PS5 to cure the initial issues with 120 Hz, VRR, HDMI 2.1 etc.

HDTVTest (UK) & Stop the FoMo (US) are worth a watch on YT.

Back
Top Bottom