Motorsport Off Topic Thread

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Vietnam GP is off, possibly for good.

The move has been triggered by the arrest on corruption charges of a key official responsible for the race in Hanoi.

Hanoi People's Committee chairman Nguyen Duc Chung was arrested in August for alleged appropriation of documents containing state secrets.

The case is not related to his involvement in the grand prix.

However, Chung was the key figure in the race being introduced and championed it with the national government. His absence has led to a vacuum and Vietnamese authorities have told F1 that the government has other priorities, including key elections, the pandemic and recovery from a typhoon.

Talks are ongoing with regard to a possible race in Vietnam in 2022, but the situation raises the significant possibility that the event will fail to materialise.

Any replacement race would be at one of the tracks added to the calendar this year as a result of the pandemic, with Turkey, Italy's Imola and Portugal's Portimao the leading candidates.

Man of Honour

Well after Turkey this weekend we will have had all the replacement circuits; Imola, Nurburgring, Turkey, Portimao and Mugello.

For an April slot I reckon it will go to Imola; Italy is one of the few nations with enough fans to support two races and its proximity to Ferrari HQ always helps - that said it seems nuts that Germany can't seem to fund a Grand Prix these days and while I'm sure Turkey will be a great race there's a reason we haven't been back in "normal times" since 2011.

As a pure race fan... I'd love Mugello to be added permanantly.... but I get the feeling its not as commercially viable as Imola long term.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom