• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Wars:Who is winning?

Associate
With the 6800XT launch done and relatively little availability of it or the 3080 which would you buy, if you could buy now?

I'd probably go for the 3080FE at £650 for its DLSS 2 potential, superior RT performance and slightly better 4K performance despite it's woeful 'lack' of memory rather than the 6800XT at £680 with its extra memory. Didn't expect to be writing this and I imagine 6800XT may be better in games going forward but who knows? 6800XT should be £600 max.

Soldato
One thing the OP is failing at is prices. If you are going to use a mythical MSRP for 3080 then use it for 6800XT as well. Let's flip your prices with £599 for a 6800XT vs £749 for a 3080 and ask would you still go for a 3080?

There is a 3080 available for pre-order at £749 but I just thought, nope it's £100 more than it should be and I'm not that desperate. Let's see how AIB 6800XT prices go, though I suspect they will be ~£50 higher than the reference GPU that AMD can claim is £599 here in UK. Both AMD and Nvidia can claim lower prices than reality now that they have met their promised release "obligations".

Permabanned
Ordered a ASUS 3080 TUF OC at £699. At queue position 48 now. Decided to stick with my order as I want RT and will move to a 3440 x 1440p panel. I would have gone 3090 if I didn't feel that Hopper/RDNA3 will be a massive jump.

Permabanned
BTW I feel the 3080, the actual GPU will choke before it needs more VRAM, and that more VRAM will be needed when we have hardware assisted ray caching (Hopper?).

Soldato
For £650 the 3080 would be a no-brainer but in the actual reality where I can get the RX 6800 for £100 less than the 3070 (and 3080 only comes in stock at £900)... I got the RX 6800 instead. Not as happy as I'd like to be because it was still a bit over MSRP and the main game I want to play is CP2077 but what can we do? Tired of waiting & my poor 480 deserves a break. :p

Still of a mind to cancel & pray 3060 tis will be in stock & at msrp but ehhh. What's the chance? Sure as don't want to wait till March when 3080s might actually be in stock at msrp.

Associate
With the 6800XT launch done and relatively little availability of it or the 3080 which would you buy, if you could buy now?

I'd probably go for the 3080FE at £650 for its DLSS 2 potential, superior RT performance and slightly better 4K performance despite it's woeful 'lack' of memory rather than the 6800XT at £680 with its extra memory. Didn't expect to be writing this and I imagine 6800XT may be better in games going forward but who knows? 6800XT should be £600 max.

How come upscaling has become acceptable!?¿

Associate
OP
How come upscaling has become acceptable!?¿
I'd rather it wasn't done but to produce an image of acceptable comparable or ultra or whatever quality within a certain 'budget'
at a price that's better seems genuinely OK to me. I don't care how an image is made if my eyes can't tell the difference and I can't in all honesty call it a cheat
because it's all a cheat.

Associate
NVIDIA and AMD depend on third parties to fabricate the chips and manufacture cards. If they get into price wars, AIBs and fabs will look elsewhere for survival. No winners here, everyone loses.

Associate
I'd rather it wasn't done but to produce an image of acceptable comparable or ultra or whatever quality within a certain 'budget'
at a price that's better seems genuinely OK to me. I don't care how an image is made if my eyes can't tell the difference and I can't in all honesty call it a cheat
because it's all a cheat.

Buy a console then.....

Associate
OP
BTW I feel the 3080, the actual GPU will choke before it needs more VRAM, and that more VRAM will be needed when we have hardware assisted ray caching (Hopper?).
This:10GB will be enough until it's not but by then it won't matter as you'll be running a slide show.
Buy a console then.....

I think you're missing the point, if you can upscale, downscale or whatever and not see the difference then the point becomes moot. Consoles don't produce the same image quality as top end GPUs or at least not in independent tests or for my eyes. Therefore the banal 'buy a console then' statement doesn't really contribute a whole lot.

Soldato
How?
We're being over charged for products that aren't on shelves from both sides.

I'd say AMD and Nvidia are both winning.

Far from it with these prices. AMD is just following Nvidia's greed.

Fair points but i think this the start of the war. As long as they are at each others throats, prices will come down.
Some may argue that they already have. Remember all the price rumours before the Nvidia event and how everyone thought prices would go up across the board. The 3080 is the GA104 die, which has usually been reserved for the ti class card. Had AMD not been competitve what do you think Nvidia would have actually charged for that die? Well we already know what they wanted to charge for it .

Associate
At the moment its neck and neck, the 6800 having stellar rasterization performance with Nvidia holding onto better raytracing.

However i have zero interest in raytracing right now, its no where near ready for proper real time use and the tiny number of games supporting it is hardly worth it in my book.
Then there is DLSS which is something else i would rather not use.

So.. i will keep my 1080ti for the time being but i suspect the big big fight is early next year. NV will definitely launch a 3080ti with some dribble of extra performance and amd have still got the 6900XTX or whatever they will call it.
So its not over yet.

Back
Top Bottom