Total War: Warhammer 2

Caporegime
But then it would be more effective having two stacks of the big stuff :D

Haven't modded a TW game since Shogun II. Thinking I'll play around with unit sizes, cost, and strength. Maybe double the size of ratling gunners and warpfire throwers, make jazzails more powerful, give the machines higher defence, but up the cost and recruitment time of all of these units (thinking maybe 2.5x?). Then on the other side of things, up the unit size of Slaves/Clanrats and drop their stats a bit to compensate. Should allow much larger armies without making them too much more deadly. Only thing that concerns me about doing that is the army loss penalty hitting the shooty stuff just because a couple of thousand Slaves died. Will have to see if there's a way around this without adding the "Unbreakable" trait.
You said you wanted thematic... and one stack of slaves is considerably cheaper (and more expendable) than one small stack of big stuff. It would be a lot of fun. :D

Especially in combination with the AI General II mod that auto-controls unrouted units, which will happen every 2 secs with skaven slaves and I find it impossible to micro. Or if not impossible, then just extremely undesirable

Last edited:
Soldato
I gave it another go as I didn't give it much of a chance. Still don't really feel like I know what I'm doing. I don't really understand what to do about hybrid weapon units either, I am playing as high elves and my campaign has pitted me against the dark elves from the off.

Soldato
I gave it another go as I didn't give it much of a chance. Still don't really feel like I know what I'm doing. I don't really understand what to do about hybrid weapon units either, I am playing as high elves and my campaign has pitted me against the dark elves from the off.

What units are in your army?

Maybe try the Dwarfs for your 1st campaign.

Soldato
What units are in your army?

Maybe try the Dwarfs for your 1st campaign.

I don't have many options, pretty much spearmen or spear/crossbow and plain archers. I may have to start again tbh because a lot of stuff is going on and I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing, as in it is normal to not fight for loads of turns and try build up your city etc. Maybe I should watch someone else play it on YT to get an idea

Soldato
Usually there is a settlement or an army that you can kill off in a few turns but after that it's best to spend a while building up forces.

I always focus on economic buildings first.

In battle you can use the slow down function at the top right of the battle screen to help.

Soldato
Usually there is a settlement or an army that you can kill off in a few turns but after that it's best to spend a while building up forces.

I always focus on economic buildings first.

In battle you can use the slow down function at the top right of the battle screen to help.

Oh I didn't see that button, it would certainly have helped on the one where I got attacked from the back

Soldato
It's a life saver when it gets hectic,you can also pause and issue commands.

Slow Mo is great for watching the battles up close.

Associate
I I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing, as in it is normal to not fight for loads of turns and try build up your city etc.

Situational: there are times when it is prudent to go aggressive early and others not. I had a Lizardmen campaign where I barely moved for about 30 turns to build up a huge stock of wealth and upgrade my key settlement early. This was after an abortive campaign where I ended up in an early dogfight against Clan Skryre and exhausted reserves fighting off wave after wave of ratmen ad infinitum. Other side of the coin, I had a Vampire Counts game where it was better to go aggressive from the off and destroy other vampire factions to gain possession of a key settlement and also make inroads into the lesser Empire factions before they built up sizeable garrisons. That gave me the wealth to support a Vlad and Isabella stack each, with their boost for supporting each other in battle.

My best advice here, look at your campaign objectives and your quality of forces and decide a plan of action early. Decide which alliances you can build, choose who you can conquer and how that may affect you re:any alliances they may have. If you are playing as a faction with lots of enemies, it's also well worth trying to get a couple of early non-aggression pacts in the bag. That can help buy time before the Scheiße hits the fan. Don't be afraid to save regularly and return a step if it's clear you've made a bad move - it's a good learning technique to understand how seemingly innocuous moves can have big ramifications, but without killing your game.

I've just started a Skarsnik campaign. Enemies on every conceivable side - lovely :eek:

Soldato
I don't have many options, pretty much spearmen or spear/crossbow and plain archers. I may have to start again tbh because a lot of stuff is going on and I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing, as in it is normal to not fight for loads of turns and try build up your city etc. Maybe I should watch someone else play it on YT to get an idea

As High Elves, archers are your strength. It's the archers that will do the killing. Units like Spearmen are there solely to slow the enemy down. Hybrid infantry (Lothern Sea Guard?) just make this process easier, as the same units can pull both duties. They're not quite as good in either role. And they're a bit more expensive. But it gives flexibility during battles.

Check out LegendofTotalWar on YouTube. He does a good job of explaining what he's doing and why (though he will also tell you how to cheese the game, as that's basically his "thing").

Soldato
thanks all for the tips etc, I'll get there eventually. Problem is I'm bouncing in between too many games at once as I was hoping to see which one clicked first but I'm equally bad at them all :D

Associate
Considering the changes to Warhammer 2, what would you all say are your top 3 races to play as of right now? (settings would be vh vh)

Maybe include a very short pro/con for each choice (if possible).

TY

Soldato
Well my personal preference.

#1: The Empire.
Good all-rounders, access to a wide selection of magice schools, excellent range units and artillery, also VERY good calvery.
Melee infantry, no so great. Great Swordsmen are good, but there are better out there.

#2: The Dwarfs.

Tough as old boots. Good infantry, good range and artillery. No calvery though, well you have Gyro-copters, but I've never been a fan. High leadership, these guys rarly run.
No access to magic. All units are very slow, even their "fast for a Dwarf" stuff.

#3: The Skaven.
I've said it many times, but Skaven are just fun. Cowards that are more likely to kill each other then the enemy.
Melee infantry is o.k once you can recruit Storm Vermin. Range is where they excel, I recommend buying the Skaven DLC so you get access to Rattling Gunners and Jezzails. Artillery is not too bad.
Not many cavlery options. Leadership can be a big problem, especially before you get Storm Vermin, expect to watch your front line run away if your not careful.

Soldato
1. Greenskins.
Great spells,waagh mechanic is great when you get going.
Grom and his cauldron are fun and he is a beast.
Doom divers and night goblin fanatics the later are devastating if unleashed at the right time and can single handedly win a battle at the start or if the enemy bunch up.

2.Dark elves.
Evil!
Murderous prowess the more you kill the better you get.
Love hydras ,benefit of a dragon without the liability of getting shot out of the air in 5 seconds.
Sound troops and archers.
Black ark mechanic works a treat for raiding the old world.

3.skaven.
Artillery and gunners, everything else is cannon fodder to slow the enemy whilst the former kill everything..

Also they have a tactical nuclear weapon!!!!

Associate
Considering the changes to Warhammer 2, what would you all say are your top 3 races to play as of right now?

Maybe include a very short pro/con for each choice (if possible).

This will of course be slightly biased towards the races I've played, although I know enough about others that I don't think this would change too much:

1. Lizardmen - infantry are as sturdy as they come, they have reasonable cavalry and a superb range of monstrous units. Particular strength in magic and Lord Kroak's Deliverance of Itza spell is brutal. And you also get the potential to call up a full army of monstrous units. Weaknesses lie in a fairly average selection of flying and missile options and units are quite expensive, making it difficult to retain a number of armies. Overall, a very adaptable, tactically flexible fighting force though and the infantry are a juggernaut.

2. Vampire Counts - a large range of cost-effective units make these an interesting proposition. Lord choices are elite, have powerful spell-casting and in multiple. They have excellent monsters including some that can really tie the enemy down early and increase your tactical options (vargheists!). I find the cavalry underpowered, but they give you options in battle. Weaknesses are the lack of calibre of the basic skeleton and zombie melee units and how slow they are to engage the enemy, allthough they can sometimes be surprisingly resilient. Also the lack of ballistic units and the fact your lord is the bind. If he/she dies, your units will crumble like a custard cream in a cup of tea.

3. Bretonnians - this is a pick with the heart not the head. I just love the medieval theme and chivalry factor. Everything revolves around the cavalry and the trebuchet and your success will depend on picking off enough of the enemy at range to weaken their forces before your knights finish the job. This does make the Bretonnians quite one-dimensional tactically, but that also becomes a challenge. Weakness lies in the infantry, they are underpowered to compensate for the dynamic cavalry. And limited magic capability.

Outliers:
4. Skaven - I've only had one abortive campaign so far, but they are one of my favourite races generally. Lots of fun units.
5. Greenskins - similar to the above, fun and interesting units and will likely make the top 3 once I've had a full campaign.

Least favourite:
Wood Elves - generally, missile units are among my favourite of all and here the Wood Elves excel (buffed Waywatchers!). However, they are even more one-dimensional than the Bretonnians. You are relying on getting enough damage in at range because the infantry or monstrous units aren't particularly dynamic. They don't excel at siege warfare. The over-reliance on ranged units can causes real problems in battle once the enemy is close enough to engage and your battle line disintegrates into pockets of isolated fighting, whilst the missile troops wheel around and try and keep out of harm's way. Difficult army to control effectively and they have not been given a dynamic roster or more than two Lord choices yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
My current campaign is like nothing I've ever seen.

I'm playing Mousillon (via a mod, which gives the faction it's own unique units). The Old World has fallen to the Undead. I've taken Brettonia, Marienburg, and the North coast of The Empire. Von Carstein has the rest of The Empire's lands. Sylvania took Kislev's territory. And the Southern Realms have all been beaten by Sartosa.

Yet there is one faction on the map which is more powerful than the four of us combined. And for once, it isn't Grimgor :p

Grom won his early battles on Ulthuan. By turn 50, he'd taken half the island. By turn 100, he'd taken all of it. I assumed the rest of his strength was coming from the Badlands via Confederations. But when I sent a hero down there to check, I found it under the control of Clan Eshin. So I sent an army West. Mystery solved. Broken Axe own most of Naggaroth. I'm not sure how far south their lands go (in to Lustria?), but they have the Dark Elves pretty much beaten.

Should make the rest of this campaign interesting. I've taken a settlement in Naggaroth. Once I'm established there, I'll drop a couple of armies in to Ulthuan and see if I can win. It'll be tough though; the relative faction strength bar is basically all red (and I'm the third strongest faction, after Broken Axe and Von Carstein) :eek:

Associate

Wood Elves versus Skaven.

Throt the Unclean versus the Sisters of Twilight.
Ariel is a LH [legendary hero] like Kroak. Ghoritch is the same for Moulder.

FLC will be Drycha [with Coeddil] and the Skaven Chieftan. Total War Access unit is Glade Captain.

Release is 3rd December. Usual pre-order save.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom