• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why Did Nvidia Blow Their Performance Advantage?

Soldato
It managed to make all Nvidia 3000 owners to claim they play every game at 4k with Ray Tracing enabled. And they will also play future games like that, even if we talk about multiplayer games where FPS is the king. :)

Im not quite sure where this 1080p/1440p thing came from but certainly the reviews I’ve seen show different.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/35.html

That said there are plenty of much cheaper and readily available cards that will smash those resolutions if that’s your bag.

Soldato
A lot here bigged up RT in Turing as making it future proof but are first in line to buy Ampere. It was the same with the tessellation advantage with Fermi and yet some of the most vocal defenders on here quickly upgraded to Kepler. Suddenly power consumption isn't important anymore when it was a big advantage before. The same goes with VRAM.

Associate
Soldato
The thing I'm most confused by is AMD's pricing on these cards.... they have a product that is basically as good / sometimes better / sometimes worse than the 3080 yet price it in such a way that is very unlikely to make existing Nvidia users think twice about jumping ship. If they'd noticably priced it under the 3080 then they'd be onto a winner but as it stands it just all seems a bit "meh"

Soldato
The thing I'm most confused by is AMD's pricing on these cards.... they have a product that is basically as good / sometimes better / sometimes worse than the 3080 yet price it in such a way that is very unlikely to make existing Nvidia users think twice about jumping ship. If they'd noticably priced it under the 3080 then they'd be onto a winner but as it stands it just all seems a bit "meh"
I agree on the recent pricing by AMD but it seems AMD,Intel and Nvidia pricing is opportunistically high to see if it will stick. With all these products selling out it seems enough people don't care! :(

Caporegime
What are you both watching. 6800XT is well ahead of 3080 other than 4K. With SAM 6800XT is almost 3090 at 1440p and matches and edges out 3080 in some games at 4K.

I'd have been first in line if the 6800XT or 6900XT were 'The fastest' GPU's. I have no issue with AMD and I have an AMD CPU.

But when you consider Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0, they just aren't in the same ballpark.

I have an LG C9 which supports 4k/120hz with G-sync and I want to utilise it to it's full potential, which at the moment means a 3090.

Soldato
These products are only selling out because of FOMO due to hardly any stock and they can charge what they like. I am waiting until stock levels are sufficient and these cards are sitting on shelves and then prices will fall. It may take a wee while but its already happening with the 3090 as these are plentiful now and one should see prices on them fall, unless they EOL them which wouldn't surprise me at all. I will wait it out.

Soldato
I'd have been first in line if the 6800XT or 6900XT were 'The fastest' GPU's. I have no issue with AMD and I have an AMD CPU.

But when you consider Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0, they just aren't in the same ballpark.

I have an LG C9 which supports 4k/120hz with G-sync and I want to utilise it to it's full potential, which at the moment means a 3090.

if you want the outright fastest currently available then thats fine, 3090 is still the fastest and clearly deliverys some good 4K performances. yes average frame rate is higher now pushing to the 100fps (without DLSS) but those 1% low isnt great.

with DLSS or not, as someone pointed out it is upscaling. if you think it is ok, fine. if you think it degrades or somewhat pollutes the IQ then fine your choice.

RT is a compeltely different issue altogether.

Soldato

this is my definition of "Alternative Fact"; take somethign i said and put a lie on it. I NEVER SAID 6800XT or 6900XT is the FASTEST GPU. I said it 6800XT is faster than 3080 at 1440p.

I dont know what to say if you just want to twist reality to suit your own imagination.

Soldato
All this talk of RT performance when hardly any game has it is a bit strange. When I bought my 2070 I had no interest in RT, the card was still impressive anyway, now 2+ years later not much has changed, there are still little if any games where RT matters and the performance has improved very slightly. By the time RT is a significant factor in Pc gaming I will be long gone from PC gaming. I believe Amd have missed a chance to catch Nvidia by pricing too high, the 6800/XT are too close in price and performance, though close to the Nvidia cards in performance as well (better or worse) I feel Amd HAD to be cheaper this time because of the mindset that exists due to Nvidia being dominant for so many years. The biggest thing though is lack of stock at launch, whether this is planned to make more money I don't know, I feel Amd should have bit the bullet this time round and came in cheap and plentiful. They still have time to do something but.........will they. Sam is not enough in my view, gains look very minimal and they may improve but again where is the stock?

Last edited:
Permabanned

They did the same with Zen3, They finally catch Intel and price everyone out of the market apart from those who will buy anything at any price. A mate of mine booked a 5950x... £800 on a CPU what is he smoking!!!

Soldato
I'd actually argue that the AMD cards are TOO expensive when you actually look at it from a PRODUCT, the nVidia card is the more complete package, therefore AMD will NOT get anyone switching from nVidia imho because you actually get LESS for your money and $50 is neither here or there. That 6800XT needed to be £599 tops to even make nVidia people think about changing based on the tech... it's got to be 20% cheaper because you're actually realistically getting 20% less product... it's not all about fps in games!

Caporegime
this is my definition of "Alternative Fact"; take somethign i said and put a lie on it. I NEVER SAID 6800XT or 6900XT is the FASTEST GPU. I said it 6800XT is faster than 3080 at 1440p.

I dont know what to say if you just want to twist reality to suit your own imagination.

If I was quoting you directly I'd have used the quote button or used double quotation marks (")

I meant if the reviews had come out that the 6800XT was the best or 'The fastest', I'd have no hesitation buying it.

And by the way DLSS 2.0 often looks better than a native 4k image, because TAA is so bad for image quality.

Soldato
I'd actually argue that the AMD cards are TOO expensive when you actually look at it from a PRODUCT, the nVidia card is the more complete package, therefore AMD will NOT get anyone switching from nVidia imho because you actually get LESS for your money and $50 is neither here or there. That 6800XT needed to be £599 tops to even make nVidia people think about changing based on the tech... it's got to be 20% cheaper because you're actually realistically getting 20% less product... it's not all about fps in games!
That was exactly my point - the new AMD cards are way too expensive!

Permabanned
All this talk of RT performance when hardly any game has it is a bit strange. When I bought my 2070 I had no interest in RT, the card was still impressive anyway, now 2+ years later not much has changed, there are still little if any games where RT matters and the performance has improved very slightly. By the time RT is a significant factor in Pc gaming I will be long gone from PC gaming. I believe Amd have missed a chance to catch Nvidia by pricing too high, the 6800/XT are too close in price and performance, though close to the Nvidia cards in performance as well (better or worse) I feel Amd HAD to be cheaper this time because of the mindset that exists due to Nvidia being dominant for so many years. The biggest thing though is lack of stock at launch, whether this is planned to make more money I don't know, I feel Amd should have bit the bullet this time round and came in cheap and plentiful. They still have time to do something but.........will they. Sam is not enough in my view, gains look very minimal and they may improve but again where is the stock?

We have had a huge jump, >30%, in RT performance going from Turing(awful) to Ampere(playable). It takes time for engines to add support and for developers to make use of that support, but we are seeing that come through now as many titles are announcing RT support.

Also remember that SAM is not limited to AMD tech.

Soldato
That was exactly my point - the new AMD cards are way too expensive!

AMD may drop prices later down the line, have done so in the past. Right now, as it stands the performance is there that the price does not make them a bad choice and combined with staggering demand in general and cards in that price range selling out instantly, make sense for now to price them as they are to be honest.

If stock becomes plentiful and IF it becomes evident that cards may not be shifting, then I suspect we may see an adjustment in price, but right now around that price point, these things will go out as fast as they come in.

Associate
in a market that isn't driven by scarcity, i think the 6800xt needs to find itself at the 6800 price to be a really compelling alternative to the 3080 and the 6800 should be priced in line with the 3070. i don't think the price difference is enough to compensate for the reduced featureset, though that'll all come down ultimately to the user's preferences.

though it's hard to envision just being able to go into a shop and pick any of these cards up for MSRP for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom